What's new

Girl torched in Murree for refusing marriage proposal dies of injuries

That woman should know her place. This is how society works around here and if you can't function accordingly you need to be brought back in line. You know what they say about fulfilling expectations
You're saying that she should've just accepted that proposal?
On topic Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un

UPPER DEWAL, Pakistan (AP) — Pakistani police said Thursday that they had arrested two suspects and were continuing their search for five men who tortured a 19-year-old schoolteacher and burned her to death for refusing to marry a man twice her age.

The teenager's mother, Ashia Bibi, told The Associated Press that, hours before her death, her daughter Maria had given police a statement alleging that five men had stormed her house earlier that week, dragged her to an open area and kicked her as though she were a "football." Speaking from her home in the village of Upper Dewal in northern Pakistan, Bibi tearfully demanded justice for her daughter.

"Those callous people mercilessly tortured my daughter when I was not at home," she said.

Bibi said her daughter was killed for rejecting a marriage proposal from a man who owned a school and wanted Maria to marry his son.

Local police official Waheed Ahmed said that authorities were aware that Maria Bibi had been attacked days before her death. The teenager died on Wednesday at a hospital in the Pakistani capital, Islamabad. "Police are doing whatever possible to arrest all those who took part in this attack," he said.

The teenager's father, Sadaqat Hussain Abbasi, said the police response had been inadequate.

He showed AP the spot where his daughter was set on fire by her attackers, where a patch of grass was visibly charred. "My daughter told me everything before her death and we have her video statement," he said.

Farzana Bazi, a prominent human right activist, condemned the incident and demanded a "stern punishment" for the culprits.

Violence against women is not uncommon in Pakistan where nearly 1,000 women are killed each year in so-called "honor killings" for allegedly violating conservative norms on love and marriage.

What ....... How can people live after that what is wrong with the society who support these baberic act's
Not standing against these acts is same you are part of that crime
Death , murder ,rape is a normal thing in Pakistan
Society needs to change people have to change ,don't these people fear God or anyone
87846dda-ad78-4380-9c39-f65616c545d4.jpg

This is so unfortunate and tragic, how can someone force anyone or marry or even more how can someone kill someone for refusing to marry?.... Islam allows girls to reject or accept who they want to marry. In which age these people are living? :( :( :(
Damn another restless night is waiting for me :(:(:hitwall:

Thats correct in Islam you can't force someone to marry without consent. But unfortunately Pakistan is an Islamic country by name only, but the actions are not islamic in any sense.

For example, The Mullahs ( preachers ) are quick to judge everyone as non believers, or hell-bound for not following their version of Islam, they chant slogans against the west when there is any news of discrimination against any muslim but back home they do the same thing.

The people in Pakistan are now so used to non-islamic actions like bribe, fraud, theft or adultration (Milawat) that they don't even give it a second thought.

I remember ages ago a conversation between my father and my uncle, in which they were saying in Pakistan everyone is a crook, and the people that are not crook is not because they are decent but because they haven't had the opportunity to be crook. I remember how disheartened i felt after hearing that

I am sorry for ranting and I apologize if i heart anyone's feelings but i have been really frustrated with things that are going on in Pakistan.

That woman should know her place. This is how society works around here and if you can't function accordingly you need to be brought back in line. You know what they say about fulfilling expectations

I seriously hope you are being sarcastic

All suspects in killing of Murree school teacher arrested: police

ISLAMABAD: Police announced on Friday that all five suspects in the brutal killing of a 19-year-old school teacher who was tortured, doused with gasoline and set on fire earlier this week for refusing to marry a man twice her age are now in custody.

Before she died, Maria Bibi had given a statement to police, saying five attackers had stormed her house in the town of Upper Dewal on Monday, dragged her to an open area and kicked her as though she were a “football".

She was brought to a Islamabad hospital in critical condition and later died. The attackers fled after the assault. Bibi's family has maintained that she was killed for rejecting a marriage proposal from a man who owned a school and wanted her to marry his son.

Police official Waheed Ahmed said on Friday that three more suspects in the case were arrested early in the morning, following the two arrests made the day before.

He identified the prime suspect in the case as Shaukat, the owner of the school who is nearly 60 years old and whose son, a man about 40 years old and already married, was the intended groom.

“The unfortunate woman Maria Bibi in her statement insisted that Shaukat and four other men dragged her from the door of her home and tortured and burned her. We have arrested all the five men,” Ahmed said.

Bibi's father Sadaqat Hussain Abbas praised the police for the arrests and asked the government in an emotional plea on Friday to execute the men in his family's presence in the same way they had killed Bibi.

Demands like this are common but Pakistani law doesn't allow for such punishment.

Zohra Yusuf, who heads the independent Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, condemned the incident and warned of an increase in assaults on women.

“As women are increasingly fighting for their rights, the reaction from the male-dominated society has been extreme, and we have witnessed an increase in violence against women,” she told The Associated Press.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1262522/all-suspects-in-killing-of-murree-school-teacher-arrested-police

Unfortunately women modesty n independence is still a matter of concern in our part of world

Yaar is yahud ko bas ban karday yaha akay bakwas pehktay rahta hay

@Solomon2
BC bas kar had hotee hay
I strongly disagree with Solomon but it is the responsibility of any countries citizens not to brush over and ignore problems but to point them out because only by pointing them out can we build consensus to resolve them. As an independent but unsuccessful journalist I know that media is constantly berated for airing such stories or negative facets of society. But the question is what else is media for? Raising the problems present in society so that competent individuals could solve them.

Solomon is a neo con and I know that he brushes over such problems in US society. However I am glad he provides a critical and objective outlook of Pakistan which is much needed, again to solve the problems and think how the world sees us. If Solomon will not point out our mistakes someone much worse in the US government might and we all know we ca't afford a war with America, despite it being the ultimate citadel of evil in the world.

I strongly disagree with Solomon but it is the responsibility of any countries citizens not to brush over and ignore problems but to point them out because only by pointing them out can we build consensus to resolve them. As an independent but unsuccessful journalist I know that media is constantly berated for airing such stories or negative facets of society. But the question is what else is media for? Raising the problems present in society so that competent individuals could solve them.

Solomon is a neo con and I know that he brushes over such problems in US society. However I am glad he provides a critical and objective outlook of Pakistan which is much needed, again to solve the problems and think how the world sees us. If Solomon will not point out our mistakes someone much worse in the US government might and we all know we ca't afford a war with America, despite it being the ultimate citadel of evil in the world.
I have no issues with Solomon posting such news......But the point to ponder upon is the direction in which such news is twisted to extract political motives. A woman is murdered in cold blood and this proves it that "women rights are violated in Pakistan?" Just try to google women rights in Pakistan and all you'll get are the few examples of women as rape, torture and acid attack victims and as tragic as it is.............The fact which is conveniently looked upon is that there also are millions of other Pakistani women who are leading normal lives rather in some cases even better than normal, so why the media chose to ignore that, why not talk about their religious and constitutional rights as well, Why just toe a narrative that only represents a tiny part of the big picture?

Back
Top Bottom