What's new

Germany Backs Away From The Eurotrash

lol, there's very few US bases in Germany left and those that are are in the proccess of downsizing.

I'm not very knowledgeable so i'm asking you.

Wiki says: In Germany, US has more than 100 thousand people, including infantry and tank units totaling more than 70 thousand people, 15 military bases, 4 bases and one Army aviation support center - nearly a quarter of all foreign bases controlled by Pentagon.

Do you think 15 bases are can be considered as "few" ?

Source: List of countries with overseas military bases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My friend, that depends on who the enemy is. If they're facing Russians then yes. If they face you, then yes. But one on one, they will never cooperate with each other unless egged by US.

It remains to be seen.

With EU disintegrating economically and with no wars to boost scalable level of weapons production, the cost of European weapons has become exorbitant compared to cheaper and more battle proven weapons from USA and Russia. When there is no war to fuel unity and integration, it is just a matter of time when different countries disintegrate in their alliances and pacts.

I might sound philosophical but it is true.

Think about it. UK and France maintain their own strategic weapons arsenal and are permanent members of the UN. Why is Germany not allowed to wield its own ballistic missile arsenal? It was never allowed even though they invented the whole concept in modern warfare.

Because while Germany, France and UK show to the world that they wave hands together, both France and UK have their guns pointed at Germany behind along with Uncle Sam.

Germany is also the only country among the three to host an air force and an Army base of the US despite UK also being a member of NATO.

Why?

Because the former Allies are still worried about Germany even after all these years of war.

I agree with you that economic inter-dependency and better trade relations might have cooled down the simmering tempers of war and reduced any threat of a head on full blown collision, but not enough to not dislike or suspect each other.

EU security treaty is just an extension of NATO agreement.

Tell me, apart from these three countries above, who has the power to stand up against a massive enemy?

Rest of the countries are simply manpower for The Big Three. Perhaps Sweden and Finns can contribute as well since their doctrine was always to take on much larger and more powerful enemies.

Face it; due to German's weaker political position in military thanks to the other two big guys, there is simply no one else (maybe Sweden and Finland to some extent) who can take on a combined assault on Europe.

Even Turkey is in a much better position (apart from the German level of self-reliance which I am sure it will gain in the coming years).
Your vieuw of the European situation is wrong,realy you should check it out first.
GB,France and Germany will allways stick together in military(i dont count the smaller countries).
The concept of hating each other is something of the past,lets put the US aside.
Who can stand against those three,Russia?
Impossible,they act like they are hostile sometimes but it is only economics.
Dont let them fool you.
Germany is a evenly match to GB and France if not more(softpower),these three decide evrything concerning Europe.

I'm not very knowledgeable so i'm asking you.

Wiki says: In Germany, US has more than 100 thousand people, including infantry and tank units totaling more than 70 thousand people, 15 military bases, 4 bases and one Army aviation support center - nearly a quarter of all foreign bases controlled by Pentagon.

Do you think 15 bases are can be considered as "few" ?

Source: List of countries with overseas military bases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, heres the rundown of bases, some are NATO operated, similar status like Aviano, Incirlik etc, most are ran under German regulations....

Military Bases in Germany - US Military Bases

But the downsizing is evident from the fact that all tanks were removed from Germany

US Army's Last Tanks Depart From Germany | Military.com

btw, one of the remaining bases is home to the infamous NSA data mining facility. i'll try to find a link

#edit:
image-509521-galleryV9-gbhi.jpg

People who said European is falling apart should have their head examined.....

People who said that have obviously never heard of terms like EuroCorps, NorBat, Franco-German Brigade.

Nordic Battle Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Eurocorps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Franco-German Brigade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As many EU friend will tell you, European country actually move out of their continental military and more than likely to form a joint EU venture. And in fact Common Foreign and Security Policy was one of the core pillar for EU establishment.

Common Foreign and Security Policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only country in Europe whom absolutely will not play the EU military game is Switzerland........Otherwise, everybody's in

Your vieuw of the European situation is wrong,realy you should check it out first.
GB,France and Germany will allways stick together in military(i dont count the smaller countries).
The concept of hating each other is something of the past,lets put the US aside.
Who can stand against those three,Russia?
Impossible,they act like they are hostile sometimes but it is only economics.
Dont let them fool you.
Germany is a evenly match to GB and France if not more(softpower),these three decide evrything concerning Europe.

Your explanation is reasonable and since you're from a country near EU I give you the better benefit of doubt.

Thanks for being so patient to explain.

But yes, Russia is the only country that is stronger than the three of them put together. It may be severely weakened, but the Bear can take them on his own.

Your explanation is reasonable and since you're from a country near EU I give you the better benefit of doubt.

Thanks for being so patient to explain.

But yes, Russia is the only country that is stronger than the three of them put together. It may be severely weakened, but the Bear can take them on his own.
Im in the EU,and Russia cant take them all three together.
The only advantage Russia has is more nuclear arsenal,so in a conventional war Russia would lose for sure.
You could check out the armed forces of all four countries.
However in a Nuclear war(impossible)they would all lose.

Back
Top Bottom