What's new

General Kayani a liar, don't trust him: Ex-CIA official

blaster

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Washington: Pakistan's powerful army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, long considered a close ally by America, is now thought by President Barack Obama's aides to be stonewalling Washington's call for decisive action against terrorists' safe havens in the country's turbulent tribal belt.

Top Obama administration officials say that Kayani has refused to adhere to any of the four demands of the US conveyed to him during a trip made by top aides in May this year just after a failed bomb plot at Times Square in New York by Pakistani-American Faisal Shahzad.

The apparent American misgivings on Kayani, considered to be the power centre in Pakistan, has grown so much that Bruce Riedel, a top former CIA official and one of the architects of America's ****** policy told Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of US Staff Admiral Mike Mullen recently not to trust him (Kayani) as he is a "liar".

However, Mullen went ahead to build a person-to-person relationship and had faith in the commitment shown by the Pakistan army chief, said a new book 'Obama's war' by Bob Woodward, noted investigative journalist.

At a White House meeting on March 11, attended by National Security Advisor General (rtd.) James Jones, Defence Secretary Robert Gates and Mullen, Riedel urged Mullen not to trust Kayani as he was a liar.

"I have known every head of ISI since the mid-1980s,"Riedel is quoted as saying. "Kayani is either not in control of his organisation or he is not telling the truth. The US should see the obvious and connect the dots. The Pakistanis are lying," he said.

Addressing Mullen, he said, "you have met Kayani some dozen times, you know him better than anyone else. My impression is that he falls into the second category - liar," the book says.

Woodward, who was given access to some of the classified documents as part of writing his book, wrote that Mullen did not disagree.

The book also draws on crucial visits undertaken by CIA chief Leon Panetta and Jones to Islamabad to convey Obama's warning that US would have no other option but to respond if Pakistan did not take decisive action against terrorists and their safe havens.

The book says that after meeting Zardari, Panetta and Jones met Kayani to tell the Pakistani army chief that the clock was now starting on all the four requests made by Obama.

But Kayani would not budge very much. He had other concerns. "I'll be the first to admit, I'm India centric," he said, according to the book. Woodward wrote that Jones and Panetta left feeling they had made only baby steps.

"How can you fight a war and safe havens across the border? Panetta asked in frustration. The latest intelligence showed trucks crossing the border that were full of Taliban combatants with all kinds of weapons packed in the back. They were being waved through into Afghanistan to kill Americans at checkpoints controlled by the Pakistanis. It's a crazy kind of war," Panetta said.

The book says that Riedel bluntly told the President and his team that they should not rely on Admiral Mullen's conversations with General Kayani. "As at best, it would be half the story," Woodward said.

General Kayani a liar, don't trust him: Ex-CIA official -  International News ? News ? MSN India

I haven't read the article, but is it just me or is America done with the Pakistan chewing and has ended the US-Pak relations (and hence need an excuse) and will call us up for $29.95 and get us to do their bidding in 10 years time!?

americans play their we play ours, we are not dummies, kayani is not a dummy though i think this article is BS

MSN India? HAHA..
That's the news source, the quotes are real and from Bob Woodward's latest book.

I think that Riedel thought he'd play a larger role in the whole Af-P4k theatre, and that hasn't materialised. There seems to be bitterness in most of his statements I read.

Af-P4k has fallen off the US radar, there's the realisation that we're two seperate entities that require bespoke strategies if they want to 'succeed' in the region (whatever that looks like).

The joined-at-the-hip approach for us and Afghanistan (which seemed convenient and simplistic for some US analysts / commentators), has fallen by the wayside pretty spectacularly.

On to the trust issue. Mullen has struck up a very strong relationship with Kayani, and has been on record numerous times that they're receiving unprecedented support from the Pak military.

You only have to look at the daily drone attacks to see that 'co-operation' in full swing.

How is the this even news? NATO trusts Pakistan as much as Pakistan trusts NATO.It is like a marriage of convenience - a very bitter marriage of convenience.

Guys, Kayani is the chief of a very professional army and it takes a lot of Personal and professional qualities to reach such a position as he has reached and hence let us not disrespect any soldier by using such word be him Indian or Pakistani.

Soldiers are soldiers and their job is to protect their country come what may.

I do not know about kayani. He may or may not be a liar but the point is as long as we have trust in the abilities of our Indian Army, we do not have to fear anything or anyone in this world.

Let Kayani do what he feels is best for his country and we will do what we feel is best for ours. As long as we know we are on the side of truth and righteousness, we do not have to fear anyone be it Kayani or Musharraf.

Let's just keep the discussion civil. Imagine how would you feel if someone were to use such words for our general V.K. Singh.

Soldiers must be respected just for the very fact that they are soldiers if not for anything else.

As long as we have truth and God on our side, we have nothing to fear.

For better or worse, White House bets on Pakistan's civilian government | The Cable

Now shoot the bullets of Denials. It is foreignpolicy.com which is quite respected.

Quite respected or not, what are American options against Pakistan as long as they have 100,000 troops in our backyard?

Kayani was head of the ISI, he knows how to handle two faced people like Obama, who is having a real hard time convincing his own democratic party on his initiatives.

I came to US in 2008, when Obama was elected, right in the middle of recession, on the promises of a change.

Two years down the road, no change is there. Please tell me of any.

Unless America pulls it's troops out of Afghanistan, they can't do much against Paksitan, militarily or diplomatically. They really need to make up their mind on how to handle Pakistan.

Kayani, is a man, i respect, but i also expect him to have a tight *** plan to counter American lies and cheats of the past.

Guys, Kayani is the chief of a very professional army and it takes a lot of Personal and professional qualities to reach such a position as he has reached and hence let us not disrespect any soldier by using such word be him Indian or Pakistani.

Soldiers are soldiers and their job is to protect their country come what may.

I do not know about kayani. He may or may not be a liar but the point is as long as we have trust in the abilities of our Indian Army, we do not have to fear anything or anyone in this world.

Let Kayani do what he feels is best for his country and we will do what we feel is best for ours. As long as we know we are on the side of truth and righteousness, we do not have to fear anyone be it Kayani or Musharraf.

Let's just keep the discussion civil. Imagine how would you feel if someone were to use such words for our general V.K. Singh.

Soldiers must be respected just for the very fact that they are soldiers if not for anything else.

As long as we have truth and God on our side, we have nothing to fear.

Since when did this thread turn into Indian Army and it's capabilities? I think you read the article wrong.....:blink:

Since when did this thread turn into Indian Army and it's capabilities? I think you read the article wrong.....:blink:

No. I just don't approve of abusive language especially when it is used against soldiers of any country inclusinf mine.:wave:

Back
Top Bottom