What's new

Gaza depressed about Egypt

Falcon29

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Commentary--Gaza-depressed-about-Egypt - Al-Ahram Weekly

Palestinians in the Gaza Strip are aware of and strongly affected by the hostile campaign brewing against them in neighbouring Egypt. Especially disheartening for Gaza’s Palestinians was General Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi’s decision to close the Rafah Crossing hours after his speech that ended Mohamed Morsi’s rule on 3 July. For the residents of Gaza, this was enough of an indicator to expect a “return” to the dark days of Hosni Mubarak.

The driving force behind such accusations and outright incitement to murder is Hamas’s allegiance to the Muslim Brotherhood, now deemed the enemy of the Egyptian revolution and democracy. This anti-Muslim Brotherhood fanfare has made it easier for anchors on Egyptian state and privately owned TV channels to lump the Palestinians into a single group of Hamas.

Israel’s siege on Gaza and the subsequent closure of most commercial crossing points made Egypt the lifeline and only gateway for the vast majority of the Gazan population. The besieged people of Gaza not only depend on Egypt for travel purposes, but also for most of their goods and construction materials.

Today, an atmosphere of apprehensiveness is enveloping the Strip. Instead of watching Egyptian TV drama series customary in the month of Ramadan, Gazans are glued to news channels, speculating on events as they unfold in Cairo and all over Egypt.

For now, life in the Strip seems to have come to a standstill with travel plans either cancelled or postponed and prices of basic commodities soaring due to the recent military crackdown on the tunnels that link Gaza and Egypt. The crackdown, which caused total destruction or damage to 80 per cent of the tunnels, comes in response to allegations that Hamas militants smuggle themselves into Sinai and Cairo to aid the Brotherhood. This claim, however, has never been substantiated despite numerous claims by army officials about “investigations” into the purported attacks.

To make matters worse, Palestinians in the Strip are now forced into filling their vehicles with Israeli fuel, which is twice as expensive as its Egyptian counterpart. Any rumour about Egyptian fuel at Gaza’s gas stations means kilometres-long queues of vehicles, sometimes blocking roads from the early hours of the morning. This has also led to increased profits to Israeli suppliers directly involved in the colonisation of Palestinian land.

But the economy is not the only side of Palestinian daily life affected by the unrest in Egypt. Politically, Gazans are observing Israeli reactions to the military stepping into the political scene again, weeding the Muslim Brotherhood from electoral politics, with great concern. The Israeli government seems to be satisfied with the Egyptian military’s moves, despite that the Muslim Brotherhood maintained relations with the right-wing government of Israel under Morsi’s rule.

This has caused further anxiety among Gaza’s Palestinians who deem Egypt’s relations with Israel a thermometer by which to measure and expect Egypt’s policies towards Gaza and its residents now and in the future. This feeling of anxiety is coupled with mistrust towards the Egyptian army whose long-standing security cooperation with Israel continues to suffocate the Palestinians.

Because of the military-instigated anti-Palestinian propaganda, Gazans not only fear for themselves but also for their children who are studying or working in Egypt. Today, many Palestinians in Egypt find themselves under the threat of being arrested or attacked merely because of their origin.

To further complicate the situation, students who left Egypt to spend the summer vacation with their families in Gaza are worried about the prospect of not being able to return to their universities when classes resume in September.

All this has made many Palestinians feel obliged to reiterate examples of their long history of support for the Egyptian people’s struggles against foreign invaders and more recently, the 25 January Revolution. In fact, Palestinians were quick to condemn Mohamed Morsi for his November constitutional declaration in which he gave himself sweeping powers even over the judiciary. These statements, however, go either unheard or downplayed and belied.

It is also worth noting that people in Gaza are themselves divided over the crisis in Egypt. Palestinian secular elites and VIPs who flourished under Mubarak hope to see the old regime back in power — this means that they fully support the military takeover. Hamas supporters, on the other hand, are calling for the reinstatement of “legitimacy”. Leftists and moderates find both camps equally guilty of protecting the interests of Western imperialism in the Arab world’s most influential country.

This is very true, these facts are facts as I've experienced it myself and I am here and realize it. It's disappointing of Egypt.

So what?returning to our side again and say sorry?
NOOOOOOOOOOO

Iran should support Hamas just in cases:
1-they apologize for the their statements regarding Syria and send troops for them.
2-declare that war on Iran means war on Hamas.
3-rename a main street, Persian gulf!

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Iran should support Hamas just in cases that:
1-they apologize for the their statements regarding Syria and send troops for them.

Iran should never again make that mistake of supporting Hamas. They are enemy of Iran and Shia people.
Only Islamic jihad and PFLP-GC should receive some aid.

Iran should never again make that mistake of supporting Hamas. They are enemy of Iran and Shia people.
I am just being a little bit realistic.If I was the president i would instead fire some Sejjil-2 missiles to Gaza strip.those backstabbers.....

Let the Arab brothers(LoL) help each others.

I am just being a little bit realistic.If I was the president i would instead fire some Sejjil-2 missiles to Gaza strip.those backstabbers.....

Let the Arab brothers(LoL) help each others.
Yes it's better to take distance from this whole Palestinian issue. When the time arrives, they will backstab Iran. Remember Saddam, al zarqawi...

Instead Iran should concentrate on friendship with strategic allies and neighbours and closer ties to Shia friendly countries.

Ikhwan-al-gooz/chos will help the Palestinian struggle.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

You have unrealistic demands, and they are still allied and understood their differences on the Syrian conflict.

And no one asked for Iran's support. It seems you came in here with that topic on your head. This is a discussion with Arabs.

PFLP in Gaza or the one in Syria? PFLP here gets weapons and training from Hamas, so does Nasser Salah brigades which are the third largest military brigade in Gaza. Not the PFLP.

Hamas isn't an enemy of Shia and neither is PJ an servant of the Shia. They just choose not to make stances on Syria. They aren't for the regime or for the rebels. They don't side with anyone.

Half of Hamas was like that. And most of the military wing was.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Your government doesn't think like you for a reason. :rofl:

It is the same as Mubarak govt's but the new one is worst than Mubarak which you'll probably agree with me. Same government, same system but different faces.

You have unrealistic demands, and they are still allied and understood their differences on the Syrian conflict.

And no one asked for Iran's support. It seems you came in here with that topic on your head. This is a discussion with Arabs.

PFLP in Gaza or the one in Syria? PFLP here gets weapons and training from Hamas, so does Nasser Salah brigades which are the third largest military brigade in Gaza. Not the PFLP.

Hamas isn't an enemy of Shia and neither is PJ an servant of the Shia. They just choose not to make stances on Syria. They aren't for the regime or for the rebels. They don't side with anyone.

Half of Hamas was like that. And most of the military wing was.
Hamas has attacked shia people, we know that. They have called saddam and Al-zarqawi martyrs. Correct me If I'm wrong.

Your government doesn't think like you for a reason. :rofl:

We can give the Palestinians a better deal, if you know what I mean (; ...

Anyway, have you seen the Saudi-financed housing units in Gaza bro? :/

our government has stopped paying you cash and supplying you with missiles.

That changed this month, and the military wings still has full cooperation with the IRGC and they are capable of arming themselves. The black market is still alive and weapons still come thought. Hamas is already stronger than pre war Hamas.

Hamas has attacked shia people, we know that. They have called saddam and Al-zarqawi martyrs. Correct me If I'm wrong.

People here don't really speak of Saddam much, he's long gone and people know of his wrong decisions and war adventurism. And some talk of Zarqawi for fighting American coalition forces in Iraq. Although many condemn AQ attacks on innocent Shia people in Iraq. Some people think that way some don't. Most of their military members are busy with their military organization to think of other things.

We can give the Palestinians a better deal, if you know what I mean (; ...

Anyway, have you seen the Saudi-financed housing units in Gaza bro? :/

I wonder if KSA will ever have diplomatic relations with Hamas. Financially, Hamas can find a alternative source. But it needs political relations and an active military organization.

I don't believe KSA would arm them, even with lightly good quality weapons which they are need of. And no I haven't, but donations from outside do support housing units here.

Why does Iran care so much about Palestine anyways?

I mean why not be more like Turkey. A country that tires to engage both parties to reach a diplomatic solution.

Why does Iran care so much about Palestine anyways?

I mean why not be more like Turkey. A country that tires to engage both parties to reach a diplomatic solution.

Because Iran doesn't want what's left in the region to be a part of the export of democracy. It's true, in Gaza we have tough conditions here with our water, electricity, economy and siege and those are just bluffs, yet, I would take this any day over a nations which goes astray from God's path and joins the new world with its export of its western culture which corrupts our people. We don't want to live with that lifestyle. Especially when it's forced through our people by the western resources and politics. It's like selling your soul to the devil. We don't want to enter that corrupt system that seeks to dominate the world.

Back
Top Bottom