Pakistan
G-B Expressway to be the highest in world
By APP
Published: September 4, 2016
43SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1175568-ecfe-1472964423-695-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: AFP

ISLAMABAD: Gilgit-Baltistan Expressway costing Rs82 billion would be the highest road in the world and bring economic revolution in the entire region, announced Gilgit-Baltistan Chief Minister Hafeezur Rahman while talking to PTV News.

“An expressway costing Rs50 billion from Gilgit to Skardu will facilitate people of G-B and another from Islamabad to G-B needing capital injection of Rs82 billion will be constructed under the CPEC (China-Pakistan Economic Corridor),” he said.

Gilgit-Baltistan fears it will not benefit from CPEC

“The proposed Shonter-Astore road will reduce the distance between Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) and G-B by several hundred kilometres and also cut travel time between the two regions,” he added.

Moreover, the road linkage projects will not only boost trade activities in the G-B region but will also help carry agricultural produce of the area to various parts of the country.

Praising the federal government for supporting the region, Rahman said the prime minister had approved projects worth billions of rupees to bring the region on a par with the rest of the country.

“All the imported machinery for G-B will be tax-free, which is another great incentive from the government,” he added. “CPEC will not only help us in solving the long-standing energy issue but will also help develop road infrastructure and information technology systems.”

Cpec: ‘Work on western route should begin’

He told the audience that the governments of Xinjiang and G-B had a protocol agreement according to which people from both sides enjoyed visa-free travel.

“An international standard airport will also be established in Gilgit-Baltistan,” he said.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 4th, 2016.

Expressway from Islamabad to Gilgit means it would be a 4-lane expressway, probably a continuation of E-35. The question is whether it would be an expansion of KKH or an alternative to it.

Expressway from Islamabad to Gilgit means it would be a 4-lane expressway, probably a continuation of E-35. The question is whether it would be an expansion of KKH or an alternative to it.
An upgradation/expansion. Nonetheless, it will be HUGE. Just for one tiny example, the apples i bought at 110 Rs/Kg today were bein sold at 10Rs/Kg in Gilgit as reported this week. Better quicker road connectivity mean better access to market. I know all the middle man and trading cuts but still the situation will improve a lot from what it is today.

An upgradation/expansion. Nonetheless, it will be HUGE. Just for one tiny example, the apples i bought at 110 Rs/Kg today were bein sold at 10Rs/Kg in Gilgit as reported this week. Better quicker road connectivity mean better access to market. I know all the middle man and trading cuts but still the situation will improve a lot from what it is today.

I agree with you most of the export quality apples were being sold for RS 5/kg in the orchard of passu village the same apples were sold for more than 200 Rupees per kg in Islamabad and there apples can even be exported at a higher price,.one of the best and tasty potato's you will find in GB but even so we can,t sell it to other markets,Our agricultural products even include cherries which we sold in Islamabad for 210 per kg(and these were low quality) and were being sold by farmers for 20 per kg in GB and these were export quality too.Yak meat is sold for 60,000 to 10,000(per yak) there and is mostly exported to china
One of the main problem is also finding a market and buyers for there products those which come to buy in bulk there and ask for very low prices and people are forced to sell them in low prices even the local people.

I thought they were going to build a freight road for truck`s even do this is a good initiative for the people of GB

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom