What's new

Furious top court teaches Musharraf a tough lesson

Pksecurity

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The court has upheld the famous Pakistani legal doctrine: You show me the face, I'll deliver you the judgment.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court has turned down a review petition of former president Pervez Musharraf against court’s order of July 31, 2009 implicating him for high treason due to his Proclamation of Emergency in November 2007. The reason cited by the court is the principle of limitation. The court determined that the petition was time-barred. It may be interesting to know that the same court had allowed another time-barred petition of Nawaz Sharif in hijacking conspiracy case after eight years.

The Proclamation of Emergency resulted in sacking of some judges, including the chief justice. On restoration in 2009 after street agitation, the judiciary decided to settle the score and ordered the government to proceed against Musharraf for high treason. The charge carries capital punishment or life imprisonment.

The grounds for review were hostility of former top-judger, now retired, Justice Iftikhar Chaudhary. The top-judge was removed for corruption and nepotism but the legal fraternity and brother judges did not allow the corruption reference to be heard by the Supreme Judicial Council. The then Supreme Court short-circuited the process and restored Justice Chaudhary.

The review petition now turned down by the court sought that July 31, 2009 judgment be declared void on the basis of retired justice Chaudhary’s bias. If one member of a bench is biased, the judgment is vitiated. The former top judge was not only biased himself, he influenced the others.

Furious top court teaches Musharraf a tough lesson

The court has upheld legal dictum of **** courts; you show me the face, I'll deliver you the judgment.

lets see how fair, is that? & how far it can goes?
after all then, former CJ has to come to the same, court some day?
if not, thts not a law to obey any more?
MONTE CARLO, judges shouldnt walk free, with thier croupt political masters?

Back
Top Bottom