What's new

French collector returns looted relic to China

Those heads are simply overvalued. From cultural and aesthetic points of view, I don't consider them national treasure. China has much much more ancient relics that have better cultural, historical and aesthetic values.

This might be the reason why the French will return. They can exchange cozy relationship with the Chinese government for those ugly heads.

I would very much have the Chinese government train some good international lawyers to sue foreign museums and governments, and to bring back real looted treasures.

In my opinion, those bronze head have already lost their value due to pressure from China. Nobody will want to buy them. Auction houses would also avoid these stolen items.

It was only a matter of time before donating it back would be worth more in publicity then its auction value.

Now....THAT IS POWER !!!

In my opinion, those bronze head have already lost their value due to pressure from China. Nobody will want to buy them. Auction houses would also avoid these stolen items.

It was only a matter of time before donating it back would be worth more in publicity then its auction value.

Now....THAT IS POWER !!!

that is exactly my thinking, returning those relics is nice and all but they're not the most important thing to chinese history, like others have said, there is plenty of other, more valuable relics. however not many countries can demand their stolen relics back and have actually get it. its a sign of the changing times and points to the increase of the importance of china in the world.

I've seen pottery from China dating some thousands of years back here in Sweden creating a link between me and someone who made it on the other side of the world in the beginning of civilization. Imagine what they would say about that if they knew.
What links we can personally make today an individual thousands of years in the future is a thoughtworthy. And there is a value in this.

No point. Our treasure will be return when we grow strong enough. The French returned these because EU need China's support, plain and simple. The British will return their loot when we grow enough to influence them. Doing it early is, to be honest, a waste of resources. Ultimately, the relics are just relics. The nation's strength is the source of their value.

This isn't the french donating them to the Chinese government, this is a private collector. Big difference.

If this collector wants to donate the works he bought to the Chinese government, it is his choice.

Back
Top Bottom