What's new

Free Wi-Fi across the island by 2016 as Google launches loon in SL

If speeds would increase the Usage limit should increase as well.
LOL. It's not economically feasible for them to provide free wifi and it doesn't benefit the economy in any way. Free wifi is only used for entertainment so don't expect the government to pay for your entertainment.

LOL. It's not economically feasible for them to provide free wifi and it doesn't benefit the economy in any way. Free wifi is only used for entertainment so don't expect the government to pay for your entertainment.

Yep that wont be commercially viable.. Also the authorities are quite clear about it.. The Google loon transmitted data is certainly NOT gonna be free.. I think there are already many free wifi hotspots in operation around the country .. But those wont be covered by this

Yep that wont be commercially viable.. Also the authorities are quite clear about it.. The Google loon transmitted data is certainly NOT gonna be free.. I think there are already many free wifi hotspots in operation around the country .. But those wont be covered by this
Those hotspots only offer up to 100mb data per month. I use 100mb in 10 minutes so their existence really doesn't make any difference IMO.

Those hotspots only offer up to 100mb data per month. I use 100mb in 10 minutes so their existence really doesn't make any difference IMO.

True for higher users such as you or me but Internet usage in the island by the masses are thought to be mainly through mobile devices such as smart phones.. So for ordinary folk to simply search something or surf a social media site i think that would be adequate... It's a start anyway.. Given that India is only now launching their 4G LTE coverage i reckon SL is far and well ahead when it comes to communication technology

True for higher users such as you or me but Internet usage in the island by the masses are thought to be mainly through mobile devices such as smart phones.. So for ordinary folk to simply search something or surf a social media site i think that would be adequate... It's a start anyway.. Given that India is only now launching their 4G LTE coverage i reckon SL is far and well ahead when it comes to communication technology
Haha actually it's quite useless for anyone. In Sri Lanka maybe it will take 20 minutes of surfing to finish 100mb instead of 10. That's what most people. But I think they could have offered some service based on merit for this. For instance, for school kids who achieve a certain level of grades since adults really don't use that connection.

One of the biggest reasons for this project was the election, the UNP is probably trying to get the votes of the youth through this.

They will give faster connections through google loon to Government offices and probably to schools in unconnected areas............................................................................. assuming they have electricity

Last edited:
So google will get free 100% data collection of SL or there is indeed free lunch coming from google?

Don't you think it's dangerous to let an NSA front company to have that much access into the data mining of your country?

Google will not help spying that much and government and Military use secure connections. There are US satellites up in space and CIA has access to every SIM card. And they probably even read the data from the Underwater cables. The only thing the defense company is building is the baloon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom