What's new

'Frankenstorm' bears down on US east coast

sandy_vir_2012302.jpg

This image of Hurricane Sandy was acquired by the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) on the Suomi NPP satellite around 2:42 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (06:42 Universal Time) on October 28, 2012.

A pretty quiet morning so far, just a little damp. It seems like the calm before the storm. The main storm gets here this afternoon.

Severe winds here - even the small shrubs are swaying but no rain yet.

I guess the fact that you guys have wooden houses in the States only makes it worse..
A Concrete structure would be able to take this pounding provided its windows are in good shape.

If the storm goes through Manhattan the skyscrapers will absorb most of the impact.

Most of my family were in the evacuation zones now they all in my home. So far so good wind is picking up but the brunt of the storm is supposed to come at 1pm and last throughout tomorrow morning.

Most of my family were in the evacuation zones now they all in my home. So far so good wind is picking up but the brunt of the storm is supposed to come at 1pm and last throughout tomorrow morning.

Be safe and "enjoy" the company! :D

Flooding is the bigger issue than the wind, specially in the financial district.

All basements are probably going to flood for sure and the evacuation zones are a given, some people refuse to leave hopefully they won't pay a price. Businesses are open here until 12pm.

Be safe and "enjoy" the company! :D

Thanks, and you too if you are in the affected areas. Pray for me (from my family not the storm :lol:).

All basements are probably going to flood for sure and the evacuation zones are a given, some people refuse to leave hopefully they won't pay a price. Businesses are open here until 12pm.

Thanks, and you too if you are in the affected areas. Pray for me (from my family not the storm :lol:).

Not just basements: the authorities are trying to board up the subway infrastructure in downtown to be able to return to full service as soon as the storm subsides.

I am in upstate, but it is still going to be nasty up here too.

In Brooklyn NYC the streets are abnormally quiet. A non working day for most and probably all stay home. There were garbage collections but hardly anyone put out their garbage for the fear of the wind. All subways are closed but some local buses are running. Some local stores are open but will probably close early. Most people, aside from those live near the shore, treat the coming storm lightly and not worrying too much.

Back
Top Bottom