What's new

First all-Afghan C-130 crew takes to the air

Afghan-India

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
140619c130.jpg

The first C-130 manned by an all-Afghan aircrew flew from Kabul to Kandahar and back on Monday.

Col. Aimal Sayedi, Afghan Fixed Wing Squadron Commander, said the Afghan Air Force has been looking forward to this flight for a long time.

The Afghan aircrew trained in the United States and Afghanistan, qualifying eight months ahead of schedule.

“We were really excited about this flight,” said Sayedi. “That was a big step forward for our air force.”

The Afghan Air Force currently has 6,800 personnel and 102 aircraft. The C-130 is the biggest aircraft in the AAF fleet and expands their capabilities.

“We can help people all around Afghanistan,” said 1st Lt. Khial Shinwari, C-130 co-pilot. “We can move passengers, we can move cargo, and we even helped out our government for the elections.”

During the April elections, the weather was bad, and many roads were flooded. “So the AAF delivered around 650,000 pounds of voting materials to 43 different districts so the Afghans could vote,” said Maj. Gen. John McMullen, NATO Air Commander, Afghanistan.

The AAF also supported humanitarian efforts for the Badakhshan mudslides in May.

“Within 24 hours they had a C-130 deliver humanitarian supplies,” said McMullen.

“The aircrew’s discipline during training and commitment to their country was evident in the completion of their mission,” said Senior Master Sgt. Mike Falcho, 538th Air Expeditionary Advisory Squadron Superintendent.

“This Afghan air crew can take the C-130 and go deliver medium airlift capability for their country,” said Falcho. “They can do that by themselves without U.S. or coalition help.”

“I wasn’t feeling comfortable but after flying today I feel 100% comfortable now,” said Shinwari.

The aircrew is excited about their accomplishment.

“It’s the most happiest day in my life,” said Shinwari. “The air force is coming back to life… the air force is growing up each day.”

The AAF looks forward to its future accomplishments.

“We will go farther and we will have an independent air force,” said Sayedi. “I hope one day we will see all missions accomplished by our Afghans here.”

First all-Afghan C-130 crew takes to the air - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency

---

2 more to be delivered in coming months!!! :woot:

Congrats to the Afghans!!May the day dawn soon that they operate a full fledged air force with air superiority fighters:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Congrats to the Afghans!!May the day dawn soon that they operate a full fledged air force with air superiority fighters:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
Yeah hope India will provide them with the cream of their industry. LCAs

The more Afghanistan prospers the more you will hear such statements from our friends from Pakistan.

Afghan government gets $500 million aid from us every year, the largest donation from an Islamic country. To be clear we hope they are being spent only on economic uplift. We don't care if they are using someone else's money on upgrading their defence.

The more Afghanistan prospers the more you will hear such statements from our friends from Pakistan.
Not true. Afghans prospering is something that pleases Pakistan as the burden of refugees would be reduced. While I think the C-130s becoming operational is a positive development, any significant rearming of the Afghan Air Force with offensive systems would be a concern for Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom