What's new

Fire Breaks Out on Ship at Naval Base in San Diego

Dexon

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
merlin_174499908_bd15ae9b-c851-43b8-a9aa-a1694d09d542-superJumbo.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-07-12-at-2.54.11-PM.png

A fire broke out on the U.S.S. Bonhomme Richard at the U.S. Naval base in San Diego on Sunday, the Navy said.

Eleven sailors were being treated for injuries, said Brian O’Rourke, a Navy spokesman.

An explosion occurred after the fire started and the ship was evacuated. Smoke was billowing from the middle of the ship, though it was unclear where the fire started or what the source of the explosion was.

The Bonhomme Richard is an amphibious assault ship capable of carrying helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft. It was docked at the base in San Diego for scheduled maintenance between deployments, said Krishna Jackson, a Navy spokeswoman.

The ship has light arms but would not normally have large artillery on board while docked, she said.
The sailors assigned to it were staying in Navy or private housing on shore and were not on board when the fire started, she said.

A “duty section” of sailors trained to fight fires was on board when the fire started, she said, and they were the first to respond.

The San Diego Fire Department was working with the Navy to fight the fire, a spokeswoman for the department said.

It was not immediately clear how the fire started.

The U.S.S. Bonhomme Richard is an assault-style ship outfitted to carry landing craft to transport equipment and troops as well as landing boats

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/12/us/naval-ship-fire-san-diego.html

Israeli kind of fantasies:
Iran's invisible Qaher-313 jet fighters flied all the way to San Diego in a legendary mission and did it without anyone noticing it. Or it was a cyber attack. We hacked into the molecules of sea water and heated them up to create an explosion.

@F-22Raptor

Long-Planned and Bigger Than Thought : Strike on USA's navy carrier

Fire is the biggest enemy on any ship, submarine, yacht or even boat. On my 30ft cruiser, I take it very seriously and I have 3 fire extinguishers on board and check their expiration ever year. I have an automatic extinguisher in the engine bay that goes off automatically when it senses a certain temperature and smoke. I have the boat inspected and certified by the USCGAUX every spring before we launch for the summer and I took the original US Coast Guard Seamanship course and 1/3 of that course was all about the dangers of fire and smoke inhalation and how to fight it properly and you appreciate the dangers of a fire on a boat and how quick it travels and how dangerous it is with fuel on board and in its proximity etc. It is really no joke and a fire of this magnitude is nothing less than devastating.

Israeli kind of fantasies:
Iran's invisible Qaher-313 jet fighters flied all the way to San Diego in a legendary mission and did it without anyone noticing it. Or it was a cyber attack. We hacked into the molecules of sea water and heated them up to create an explosion.

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2020...e-on-US-Navy-ship-A-false-flag-or-cyberattack

You mean Iranian press kind of fantasies.

But I dont believe a word, as I said in another thread about this issue.

Fire is the biggest enemy on any ship, submarine, yacht or even boat. On my 30ft cruiser, I take it very seriously and I have 3 fire extinguishers on board and check their expiration ever year. I have an automatic extinguisher in the engine bay that goes off automatically when it senses a certain temperature and smoke. I have the boat inspected and certified by the USCGAUX every spring before we launch for the summer and I took the original US Coast Guard Seamanship course and 1/3 of that course was all about the dangers of fire and smoke inhalation and how to fight it properly and you appreciate the dangers of a fire on a boat and how quick it travels and how dangerous it is with fuel on board and in its proximity etc. It is really no joke and a fire of this magnitude is nothing less than devastating.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/long...ought-strike-on-irans-nuclear-program.675459/

My point I was trying to make is that fire breaks out very easily on ships and even smaller boats like mine, it's a huge threat that has to be taken very seriously because once it starts, it's super difficult to stop if you're not prepared. And on a ship the size of the Bonhomme, it can spread in seconds and devastate the undercabin areas.

The fire began in lower vehicle storage which you can see here is just below the well deck. Yesterday there was black smoke pouring out of both sides of the aft end. By midnight the fire had engulfed the superstructure, and this morning its burning up the bow. It's been gutted.

EczxH5tWkAI2_XM

i think the ship is now written off and now the danger has spread to other ships right next to it, beyond me why didn't they move the other ships till now

Back
Top Bottom