What's new

FDI inflows into India jump 18% to a record $46.4 bn in 2016 despite global fall

r@ven21

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
dollars-k0BF--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

The US remained the top source of FDI inflows in 2016 at $385 billion. Photo: Reuters
New Delhi: Foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows into India in 2016 calendar year jumped 18% to a record $46.4 billion, at a time global FDI inflows fell.

Data released by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) showed FDI inflows in 2016 were strongest in October with $6.2 billion inflows followed by $5.1 billion in September.

Global flows of FDI fell 13% in 2016 to an estimated $1.52 trillion as global economic growth remained weak and world trade volumes posted anemic gains, according to the latest UNCTAD Global Investment Trends Monitor.

“FDI recovery continues along a bumpy road. Particularly of concern is the sharp drop-off in manufacturing investment projects, which play such an important role in generating badly needed productivity improvements in developing economies,” UNCTAD secretary-general Mukhisa Kituyi said in a statement on 1 February.

UNCTAD said FDI inflows into India fell 5% to $42 billion in 2016, yet India stood as the 10th most attractive destination in the world for FDIs. In comparison, China and Brazil received $139 billion and $50 billion FDI inflows respectively during 2016. The US remained the top source of FDI inflows in 2016 at $385 billion.

“Looking ahead, economic fundamentals point to a potential increase in FDI flows by around 10% in 2017,” Dr. Kituyi said. “However, significant uncertainties about the shape of future economic policy developments could hamper FDI in the short-term.”

The Economic Times first reported on Saturday that India’s FDI in April-December period rose 22% to $35.8 billion from the same period a year ago, quoting official DIPP data.

Mauritius remained India’s top source of FDI inflows at $12.8 billion followed by Singapore at $7.1 billion during April-December period. Services sector continued to attract highest investment of $7.5 billion followed by telecommunications sector which attracted $5.5 billion inflows during the first nine months of the financial year 2016-17.
http://www.livemint.com/Politics/JV...India-jumps-18-to-a-record-464-bn-in-201.html

That is equivalent to the entire CPEC investment(spread over multiple years) in one year!

Pakistanis are not going to like it. :lol:

I came after very long so sorry if it has been posted several times..
I request mods to please merge..

Welcome back ; when I was banned I noticed you had joined
this forum

Tomorrow Morning there might be a K 4 Missile test

In case you are here Do the Honours of Breaking the News :-)

Welcome back ; when I was banned I noticed you had joined
this forum

Tomorrow Morning there might be a K 4 Missile test

In case you are here Do the Honours of Breaking the News :-)
Definitely I would post....;)

Pakistanis are not going to like it. :lol:

I am happy for India and her people. This will alleviate millions from poverty and ignorance.

You need to grow up a little and not generalise. There are sane people on both sides who want prosperity and peace.

If you had wrote "Some", I would have no problem with your post.

Mauritius remained India’s top source of FDI inflows at $12.8 billion followed by Singapore at $7.1 billion

Mauritius itself has a GDP of 13 billion dollars and is a top source for Indian FDI?
All its GDP coming to India?
Lol

This is Indian money in the form of shell companies that has taken place.

Stupid right wingers.

Mauritius itself has a GDP of 13 billion dollars and is a top source for Indian FDI?
Lol

Stupid right wingers.
Go do a through check up of yourself..

Lol

Stupid right wingers.

Ever heard of banks? Holding companies? They have money and hold money/equities but not exactly contribute to GDP directly.

An example will be Barclays, they have assets of order of 1.5 trillion pounds. Around half of Britain's GDP.

Ever heard of banks? Holding companies? They have money and hold money/equities but not exactly contribute to GDP directly.

An example will be Barclays, they have assets of order of 1.5 trillion pounds. Around half of Britain's GDP.

To nail your stupid reasoning, let me ask you a simple question that you may not know.
After India, what is the Mauritius (2nd) destination of its FDI?

Barclay and many such banks or financial entities are in many countries though.
Their presence & strength is more in Hong Kong than in Mauritius.
So why Hong Kong is missing from the scene or the US>?

Last edited:
To nail your stupid reasoning, let me ask you a simple question that you may not know.
After India, what is the Mauritius (2nd) destination of its FDI?

Barclay and many such banks or financial entities are in many countries though.
Their presence & strength is more in Hong Kong than in Mauritius.
So why Hong Kong is missing from the scene or the US>?

FDI outflows of Mauritius 2015 was $ 58.4 billion.

India's total FDI inflow during 2015 was $40.0 billion. Out of this 33% came from Mauritius. That is around $ 13.5 billion.
http://www.businesstoday.in/current...e-of-fdi-inflows-into-india/story/233375.html

Meaning, remaining (58.4 - 13.5 = $ 44.9 billion) went else where.

The money from Mauritius flows into Africa, Middle east and Europe too.

Now coming why all the real source are missing. The reason is simple. There is tax on FDI and India has Double Tax Agreement with Mauritius. That means money taxed in Mauritius will not be taxed again in India and Mauritius happens to be a tax haven with just 3% tax on investment. That is why many US and EU based businesses route their money into India via Mauritius, which is called Mauritius route. Your lack of basic understanding of finance makes you look like a moron, btw.

Last edited:
FDI outflows of Mauritius 2015 was $ 58.4 billion.

India's total FDI inflow during 2015 was $40.0 billion. Out of this 33% came from Mauritius. That is around $ 13.5 billion.
http://www.businesstoday.in/current...e-of-fdi-inflows-into-india/story/233375.html

Meaning, remaining (58.4 - 13.5 = $ 44.9 billion) went else where.

The money from Mauritius flows into Africa, Middle east and Europe too.

Now coming why all the real source are missing. The reason is simple. There is tax on FDI and India has Double Tax Agreement with Mauritius. That means money taxed in Mauritius will not be taxed again in India and Mauritius happens to be a tax haven with just 3% tax on investment. That is why many US and EU based businesses route their money into India via Mauritius, which is called Mauritius route. Your lack of basic understanding of finance makes you look like a moron, btw.

From Barclays angle you came to double taxation issue?
Ok.

India has DTAA agreement with 85 nations.
Why some of them, with better GDP than Mauritius, are not in the same league as Mauritius, as for the top FDI source?

Mauritius is a tax haven, but so are 90 other countries offering tax shelter.

So?

BTW, which country sends FDI equal to its GDP value?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom