What's new

Famous Personalities: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

CENTCOM

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
When we think of famous personalities from Pakistan - several names come to mind. I have always had great admiration for one of the most renowned musician from Pakistan – Nusrat fateh ali khan. Music lovers from across the world recently commemorated Nusrat Fateh ali Khan’s 17th death anniversary on Oct 13th. Nusrat Passed away at the age of 48 in the year of 1997. I grew up listening to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, but it wasn’t until I moved to the U.S. and realized how popular he was outside of his native country. I remember listening to an interview by the late American singer-songwriter Jeff Buckley who described Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan as "my Elvis".

An internationally acclaimed Pakistani musician, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was primarily a singer of Qawwali, the devotional music of the Sufis. Extending the 600-year old Qawwali tradition of his family, Nusrat fateh ali khan is widely credited with introducing Qawwali music to international audiences. He is popularly known as “Shahenshah-e-Qawwali”, meaning “The King of Kings of Qawwali”. Nusrat fateh ali khan regularly toured and performed around Europe, India, Japan, and USA. Nusrat fateh ali khan collaborated with many Western musicians including: Peter Gabriel, Eddie Vedder and Michael Brook. His music also appeared on soundtracks to films directed by Martin Scorsese, Oliver Stone and Tim Robbins. Nusrat Fateh Ali holds the Guinness world record for producing the largest recorded output by a Qawwaliartist — a total of 125 albums as of 2001. It is safe to say that he will always live in the heart of millions around the world.

It is almost impossible for me to list one song as my favorite. But some of my favorite songs are Kinna Sohn tenu Rab ne banaya, Yeh jo halka halka surro hai, Sanu ek pal chain na aaye, and the list goes on. What are your favorite songs from Nusrat fateh ali Khan?

Ali Khan
Digital Engagement Team, USCENTCOM

Back
Top Bottom