What's new

Exploring India

It is interesting how it was always Ancient China that sent travelers to Ancient India (such as Xuanzang) but rarely the other way around.

We have many loanwords borrowed from Sanskrit (mostly in connection with Buddhism such as 阿修罗)... but India hardly has any from us. We have many ideologies taken from the Vedas, such as Karma and Reincarnation, but not the other way around?

It is because ancient India was always a center for studies...nalanda, takshashila always had many foreign scholars studying and may be even teaching....we do not many borrowed things from china like chinese fishing nets in cochin south India...

It is interesting how it was always Ancient China that sent travelers to Ancient India (such as Xuanzang) but rarely the other way around.

We have many loanwords borrowed from Sanskrit (mostly in connection with Buddhism such as 阿修罗)... but India hardly has any from us. We have many ideologies taken from the Vedas, such as Karma and Reincarnation, but not the other way around?

@Chinese-Dragon;
Very interesting observations. Something that has crossed my mind too. But I've been yet unable to come up with a coherent hypothesis for this phenomenon.

p.s. CD; try asking our resident scholar Speeder to explain this? Maybe he can amuse us some more.
However on a serious note; I think I'll try some digging up on this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is because ancient India was always a center for studies...nalanda, takshashila always had many foreign scholars studying and may be even teaching....we do not many borrowed things from china like chinese fishing nets in cochin south India...

Better than the Westerners anyway.

The Westerners took our inventions, specifically guns/artillery/rockets and used them to shoot and kill us. :disagree:

Gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Artillery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rocket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But when we took Buddhism from India we didn't use it to attack or dominate anyone. When we absorbed Vedic Deities and Vedic concepts like Karma and Reincarnation into our own culture, nobody was hurt.

Better than the Westerners anyway.

The Westerners took our inventions, specifically guns/artillery/rockets and used them to shoot and kill us. :disagree:

Gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Artillery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rocket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But when we took Buddhism from India we didn't use it to attack or dominate anyone.

few hundreds millions Ruling entire World but We are with More than Billion Population with each..... suffered from them.... hahahha.... sad thing is most of members PDF hate India or Indians more than West...

@Chinese-Dragon;
Very interesting observations. Something that has crossed my mind too. But I've been yet unable to come up with a coherent hypothesis for this phenomenon.

p.s. CD; try asking our resident scholar Speeder to explain this? Maybe he can amuse us some more.
However on a serious note; I think I'll try some digging up on this matter.

During the apex of our power, during the Han/Tang/Ming/Song Dynasties, the whole world was sending ambassadors and envoys to us.

But for India, it was us sending people to them.

Ironically, the most influential and lasting foreign ideas in Chinese culture, were brought back from India by Xuanzang.

@Yogi Kindly watch all the videos and refrain from few conflicting and less proved myths. There are many videos which are huge exaggeration, even if concept is valid. Alien theory is one of the example which is nothing but something made out of Thin Air.

@all

I hope few will also talk about Medieval period and evolution of Indian culture as western school of thoughts and tradition assimilated and brought direct or indirect change.

Here is nice piece of write up on India, I was shared by my friend. Hence the text is not mine. I duly acknowledge that 'anonymous' who has penned it so wonderfully -

To the outsider India is one of two things, suffocating crowded, fast tempoed and mind numbingly chaotic. Or it’s a land of a billion thriving entrepreneurs, the cradle of civilization and the hub of some of the world’s most famous art, music, cultures and traditions.

If India were an astrological star sign, it would be a Libra, always in perfect balance. But balance requires extremes and India is tipping both sides of the scales.

Nowhere else in the world can one’s senses experience the richness of life, like in India. At any given time, at any given location, your olfactory system can be bombarded by the rather jarring but perfect medley of sweet musky temple incense, pungent drying cow dung, flavorful street food and suffocating exhaust fumes.

The dull, dusty, often garbage strewn streets are filled with a visual feast with bright flashes of multicolored saris and fabrics, that even the poorest of Indian women wear with such pride and grace. Drably clad hawkers push beaten carts laden with the most beautifully stacked fresh produce in eye popping colors, while screaming their presence at the top of their over worked lungs, for you to consider as they pass through the neighborhood.

The tastes of India have no competitors. The rich spice infused dhaba foods are just cheap everyday meals to its inhabitants, who taste buds have been spoiled for choice. Even with over a billion mouths to feed, many of whose goes hungry, Indian’s take great pride in the meal’s preparation and presentation. Most road side stalls have garlands of fresh flowers or a glass with mint leaves proudly placed for decoration. And in India you never eat alone, whether it’s an affluent family that gathers in their white washed bungalow at meal times or the strangers crowded around a road side stall, eating in India is a communal experience.

Walk down any street in India and like your nose, your ears, will be bombarded with an orchestra of sounds. From the honking of car horns to the Bhangra music basting out of their stereos, to the street hawkers selling anything and everything that can fit on a cart or in their hands. The perfect Bohemian Rhapsody is yours for the listening. You would be hard pressed to find a moment of silence outside of your own head but also foolish if you didn’t appreciate the intricately laced composition of Indian life.

Like all things Indian, yoga, the architectural monuments of days gone by and the simple complexity of chaat, everything is about finding balance, poise and fiery independence. Nothing in India is done lightly. When I moved back to India with much resistance and in trepidation, I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. If you can look past the noise, the smells and the crowds, what you will find is a country of the most enterprising, talented entrepreneurs the world over.

From the self-taught street urchins who perform gymnastic feats at traffic junctions, to the cops who laze on the same corners, hustling drivers for bribes, to the subzee-walla who’s perfectly presented stall could teach western grocers a thing or two. These people do what they have to do to survive and they do it with gusto. Nowhere else does Darwin’s theory of “Survival of the Fittest”, fit more aptly.

Maybe it’s this stringent driving force of survival that inhibits our ability to work together on a grander scale. Who can blame us though? In a do or die situation, you do what you have to do to feed and clothe your family. Even with the breakneck crawl at which India moves there is no doubt that it is a powerful force and it’s been on the verge of greatness for decades, if not centuries. For such a big nation with so many languages, religions, sects, traditions, superstitions, and cultures, India has done an amazing job of banding together and marching forward. And it will continue to do so, even as other nations peak, flourish and fade from the limelight, India will still be poised for greatness. For here greatness is not the goal, it’s the experience of the journey.

This is not a patriotic declaration of my re-found love for my country. This is a testament to the awe striking, breath taking brilliance of a system I fail to be able to map, but that functions like a well oiled machine oblivious, to my educated ignorance.

Ya India! You truly are INCREDIBLE!

[MENTION=140814]I hope few will also talk about Medieval period and evolution of Indian culture as western school of thoughts and tradition assimilated and brought direct or indirect change.
*I see what you did there*

Why Bhai we haven't even talked about Vedic Period,The Golden Age, The Classical Age.

During the apex of our power, during the Han/Tang/Ming/Song Dynasties, the whole world was sending ambassadors and envoys to us.

But for India, it was us sending people to them.

Ironically, the most influential and lasting foreign ideas in Chinese culture, were brought back from India by Xuanzang.

Reason being, we had the best education system back then we really had world class Universities like Nalanda, Taxila, etc back then but all got destroyed in foreign invasions.

Do u know Nalanda was one of the world's first residential universities, i.e., it had dormitories for students. It is also one of the most famous universities. In its heyday, it accommodated over 10,000 students and 2,000 teachers. The university was considered an architectural masterpiece, and was marked by a lofty wall and one gate. Nalanda had eight separate compounds and ten temples, along with many other meditation halls and classrooms. On the grounds were lakes and parks. The library was located in a nine storied building where meticulous copies of texts were produced. The subjects taught at Nalanda University covered every field of learning, and it attracted pupils and scholars from Korea, Japan, China, Tibet, Indonesia, Persia and Turkey. During the period of Harsha, the monastery is reported to have owned 200 villages given as grants.

The Tang Dynasty Chinese pilgrim Xuanzang left detailed accounts of the university in the 7th century. He described how the regularly laid-out towers, forest of pavilions, harmikas and temples seemed to "soar above the mists in the sky" so that from their cells the monks "might witness the birth of the winds and clouds." The pilgrim states: "An azure pool winds around the monasteries, adorned with the full-blown cups of the blue lotus; the dazzling red flowers of the lovely kanaka hang here and there, and outside groves of mango trees offer the inhabitants their dense and protective shade." British author Charity Seraphina Fields offers the following translation Xuanxang's account.
...:)

Nalanda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Tang Dynasty Chinese pilgrim Xuanzang left detailed accounts of the university in the 7th century. He described how the regularly laid-out towers, forest of pavilions, harmikas and temples seemed to "soar above the mists in the sky" so that from their cells the monks "might witness the birth of the winds and clouds." The pilgrim states: "An azure pool winds around the monasteries, adorned with the full-blown cups of the blue lotus; the dazzling red flowers of the lovely kanaka hang here and there, and outside groves of mango trees offer the inhabitants their dense and protective shade." British author Charity Seraphina Fields offers the following translation Xuanxang's account....:)

Whoah that sounds amazing. Like something out of a fantasy movie except that this was real.

Do u know Nalanda was one of the world's first residential universities, i.e., it had dormitories for students. It is also one of the most famous universities.

The Tang Dynasty Chinese pilgrim Xuanzang left detailed accounts of the university in the 7th century. He described how the regularly laid-out towers, forest of pavilions, harmikas and temples seemed to "soar above the mists in the sky" so that from their cells the monks "might witness the birth of the winds and clouds." The pilgrim states: "An azure pool winds around the monasteries, adorned with the full-blown cups of the blue lotus; the dazzling red flowers of the lovely kanaka hang here and there, and outside groves of mango trees offer the inhabitants their dense and protective shade." British author Charity Seraphina Fields offers the following translation Xuanxang's account....:)

Imagine what it would have been like to have actually been there.

Xuanzang came from Zhongyuan (Central plains of China), and he traveled a ridiculous distance over insurmountable obstacles like the Himalayas. And I bet it was all worth it in the end. To have seen such sights, and to have brought back the world-changing ideology called Buddhism back to the heartland of Chinese civilization.

Sushruta Samhita

The Sushruta Samhita (सुश्रुतसंहिता) is a Sanskrit text on surgery, attributed to Sushruta, a historical physician of 6th century BCE Varanasi.

The text as preserved, dates to the 3rd or 4th century BC. It is one of three foundational texts of Ayurveda (Indian traditional medicine), alongside the Charaka Samhita and the medical portions of the Bower Manuscript.[4] The Sushruta Samhita comprises 184 chapters, description of 1120 illnesses, 700 medicinal plants, 64 preparations from mineral sources and 57 preparations based on animal sources.
The text discusses surgical techniques of making incisions, probing, extraction of foreign bodies, alkali and thermal cauterization, tooth extraction, excisions, and trocars for draining abscess draining hydrocele and ascitic fluid, the removal of the prostate gland, urethral stricture dilatation, vesiculolithotomy, hernia surgery, caesarian section, management of haemorrhoids, fistulae, laparotomy and management of intestinal obstruction, perforated intestines, and accidental perforation of the abdomen with protrusion of omentum and the principles of fracture management, viz., traction, manipulation, appositions and stabilization including some measures of rehabilitation and fitting of prosthetics. It enumerates six types of dislocations, twelve varieties of fractures, and classification of the bones and their reaction to the injuries, and gives a classification of eye diseases including cataract surgery.

The text was translated to Arabic as Kitab-i-Susrud in the 8th century.

Sushruta Samhita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sanskrit- Ancient Indian Language

Good introduction to this language.

Sanskrit Language: The Most Scientific, Ancient, Spiritual - 1 - YouTube

Sanskrit Language: The Most Scientific, Ancient, Spiritual - 2 - YouTube

P.S. @Chinese-Dragon You will like the concept of India-China expressed as West-East.

I do wish, Krait, you would screen such videos for accuracy before uploading them and endorsing their claim to present an authentic aspect of Indian culture. Its inaccuracies are positively lethal.

Imagine what it would have been like to have actually been there.

Xuanzang came from Zhongyuan (Central plains of China), and he traveled a ridiculous distance over insurmountable obstacles like the Himalayas. And I bet it was all worth it in the end. To have seen such sights, and to have brought back the world-changing ideology called Buddhism back to the heartland of Chinese civilization.

I wish i had born in the era of Xuanzang n studied at Nalanda...:)

The library of Nalanda is also known as Dharma Gunj (Mountain of Truth) or Dharmagañja (Treasury of Truth), was the most renowned repository of Hindu and Buddhist knowledge in the world at the time. Its collection was said to comprise hundreds of thousands of volumes, so extensive that it burned for approximately more than 6 months when set aflame by Turkish invaders. The library had three main buildings as high as nine stories tall, Ratnasagara (Sea of Jewels), Ratnodadhi (Ocean of Jewels), and Ratnarañjaka (Delighter of Jewels).[21][22]

Curriculum
In nalanda university,the Tibetan tradition holds that there were "four doxographies" (Tibetan: grub-mtha’) which were taught at Nālandā, and Alexander Berzin specifies these as:[23]

Sarvāstivāda Vaibhāṣika
Sarvāstivāda Sautrāntika
Mādhyamaka, the Mahāyāna philosophy of Nāgārjuna
Cittamatra, the Mahāyāna philosophy of Asaṅga and Vasubandhu
According to an unattributed article of the Dharma Fellowship (2005), the curriculum of Nalanda University at the time of Mañjuśrīmitra contained:

...virtually the entire range of world knowledge then available. Courses were drawn from every field of learning, Buddhist and Hindu, sacred and secular, foreign and native. Students studied science, astronomy, medicine, and logic as diligently as they applied themselves to metaphysics, philosophy, Samkhya, Yoga-shastra, the Veda, and the scriptures of Buddhism. They studied foreign philosophy likewise.

In the 7th century, Xuanzang records the number of teachers at Nālandā as being around 1510.[24] Of these, approximately 1000 were able to explain 20 collections of sūtras and śāstras, 500 were able to explain 30 collections, and only 10 teachers were able to explain 50 collections.[24] Xuanzang was among the few who were able to explain 50 collections or more.[24] At this time, only the abbot Śīlabhadra had studied all the major collections of sūtras and śāstras at Nālandā.[24]

Yijing wrote that matters of discussion and administration at Nālandā would require assembly and consensus on decisions by all those at the assembly, as well as resident monks:[25]

If the monks had some business, they would assemble to discuss the matter. Then they ordered the officer, Vihārapāla, to circulate and report the matter to the resident monks one by one with folded hands. With the objection of a single monk, it would not pass. There was no use of beating or thumping to announce his case. In case a monk did something without consent of all the residents, he would be forced to leave the monastery. If there was a difference of opinion on a certain issue, they would give reason to convince (the other group). No force or coercion was used to convince.

Xuanzang also writes: "The lives of all these virtuous men were naturally governed by habits of the most solemn and strictest kind. Thus in the seven hundred years of the monastery's existence no man has ever contravened the rules of the discipline. The king showers it with the signs of his respect and veneration and has assigned the revenue from a hundred cities to pay for the maintenance of the religious."

336px-Nalanda_layout_1b.JPG

The Ruins of Nalanda University
Nalanda_University_India_ruins.jpg

Back
Top Bottom