What's new

Ex DRDO Chief Controller confirms India's NTRO has anti-satellite mechanism to destroy satellites.

KingRaj

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Dr W. Selvamurthy, former chief controller of DRDO and space enthusiast, said incidents of meteorites hitting the land seem to be on the rise. “We can’t sit tight saying meteorites can’t be tracked when people are dying. A bigger meteorite can cause serious damage. I am sure organisations like ISRO and National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) has the capability to develop a defence mechanism. NTRO has developed an anti-satellite mechanism where it can target and destroy space satellites in orbit. Why can’t we predict these objects and judge the velocity at which they are falling and where it would impact”, he said.

Source:
Vellore explosion: Meteorite killed TN bus driver

@SpArK @Levina @Parul @Syama Ayas
@third eye @Abingdonboy @nair @SrNair @MilSpec @PARIKRAMA @sarjenprabhu @kaykay @jbgt90 @Skull and Bones
@acetophenol and others.

NTRO? Is it the work of NTRO?
Highly doubtful.
But we do have the technical capability.

NTRO? Is it the work of NTRO?
Highly doubtful.
But we do have the technical capability.
NTRO has many secret departments and many of them do not focus on ELINT and SIGINT which is the only area the public thinks NTRO works in.

NTRO has many secret departments and many of them do not focus on ELINT and SIGINT which is the only area the public thinks NTRO works in.

Really? I thought it was in the spheres of technical interception and intelligence gathering only (as far as I recall)! Such as?

Until and unless Agent Vinod has been recruited into NTRO, the above statement is beyond the mandate of NTRO. The mandate of ASAT is with Air Force's Aerospace command, period!. For any role in neutralization of threats, NTRO relies on Cabinet Secretariat (read through PMO and the posted 'technical' advisors) to provide resources from RAW, SFF, Armed Forces as may be applicable.

anigif_optimized-4211-1436292179-12.gif

One suggestion, never believe and count on something that's yet not there or you haven't seen it. It makes sure you are more positive.

The NTRO does operate the military capabilities upon India's satellite fleet and has aviation systems too.But this is not something which NTRO would be entrusted with.

Destroying objects in upper atmosphere and beyond is no child's play, NTRO bought some Israeli spy drones which were initially grounded as NTRO didn't has the technical capability to operate it.

Its certainly not possible that NTRO has something like this.

My heart hopes that its true and I am forced to take my words back.

Last edited:
Is there a chance NTRO has KALI ?

Is that the anti sat mechanism ?

He talked about predicting meteorite , not taking out with weapons

One suggestion, never believe and count on something that's yet not there or you haven't seen it. It makes sure you are more positive.

The NTRO does operate the military capabilities upon India's satellite fleet and has aviation systems too.But this is not something which NTRO would be entrusted with.

Destroying objects in upper atmosphere and beyond is no child's play, NTRO bought some Israeli spy drones which were initially grounded as NTRO didn't has the technical capability to operate it.

NTRO has domains far beyond technical and electronic intelligence.

Remember even RAW has been forced to handover vast part of it's ARC to NTRO.

RAW to shut down its covert air wing, assets will go to NTRO and IAF | The Indian Express

Well many compulsion that India can't disclose some things due to MTCR membership nomination

Is there a chance NTRO has KALI ?

Is that the anti sat mechanism ?

He talked about predicting meteorite , not taking out with weapons

Don't know about KALI and ASAT capability.
But I can say we were working on 2 ways to counter or protect our interests in space.

1. The conventional way. A kinetic kill vehicle upon a ballistic missile.
2.Satellite and AWACS based electronic warfare capability aimed at not destroying the satellite rather stopping it to operate upon a desired location and perform a desired task.

NTRO has domains far beyond technical and electronic intelligence.

Remember even RAW has been forced to handoventrusted art of it's ARC to NTRO.

RAW to shut down its covert air wing, assets will go to NTRO and IAF | The Indian Express

Just ask yourself , what mechanism or system can NTRO have or have been developing to perform the above mentioned task? This will let you know why NTRO being entrusted with this task is not being accepted by me.
Well many compulsion that India can't disclose some things due to MTCR membership nomination

The strategic forces command or the airforce has this role. And to comply with any international law on something like this, it could have been maintained as a secret by the airforce itself.

I doubt we have any defence mechanism against meteors. Not yet.

In late 90s, there was a buzz that a global body would come up under the aegis of USA/NASA where different countries will participate for a joint operations. The ops were divided into two parts where in space a large human habitating satellite will launch ships carry nuclear trident missiles to hit on all metorites which has more than 99% probability of hitting earth. This interception will be done in between earth and moon orbital distance. The other part was the disintegrated comet/meteorites entering earth would be taken out by high altitude jet fighters which will destroy such fragments and safe guard populous places.

the plan never took off beyond the drawing board..

This theme became a motivating factor for a Anime called Stratos 4 in 2003. This anime firmly made two team names called Comet Blaster team housed in a space satellite carrying space shuttles with armed N payloads which does intercepts at some distance away from earth (orbital interception). The other team was called Meteor Sweeper team which used fighter jets at high altitude to intercept debris. They used rocket as boosters to give them the high thrust required to go high for interception.

The Meteor Sweeperr team ops had something like this
Stratos4_TSR-2MS_flight_profile.png

Unfortunately the concept of ASAT for meteor fragment dis integration was never there....

The reason cited was ASAT even though has a high payload in warhead can still lead to some debris falling off in populated zones. The other being the cost of payload versus the object for a successful impact worked out negative..

Thus this concept became science fiction than reality.
++++++++++

KALI can be a good bet but generating such power for high altitude interception will require a much bigger power source and a dedicated cooling mechanism. A DEW weapon like particle beam weapon KALI (Kinetic Attack Loitering Interceptor) can solve the issue. But particle beam weapon stream at say anything around LEO or above interception requires humongous power generation mechanism. This is where you need dedicated facility perhaps under black project and huge budget. The geographical presence to a hydro power plan reservoir can be good... Especially if its in height, we eliminate at least some issues.. and with abundant water source, the cooling system can be used much better..

People can check for a paper by Dr. V. Siddhartha named “Military Dimensions in the Future of the Indian Presence in Space” in 2008-09 timeline. Dr Siddhartha was at the time an officer on special duty in the secretariat of the scientific adviser to the Defense Minister. The paper shows a clear interest within the Indian military of deploying not only a space-based laser, but also an ASAT system.

In my own notes, i had pasted this
In Jan 2010 Dr. V K Saraswat, stated in a televised press conference that India was in the process of developing an ASAT system and that it is “working to ensure space security and protect our satellites.” He also said: “At the same time, we are also working on how to deny the enemy access to its space assets…India is putting together building blocks of technology that could be used to neutralize enemy satellites. With the kill vehicle available and with the propulsion system of Agni-III, that can carry the missile up to 1,000 km altitude, we can reach the orbit in which the satellite is and it is well within our capability.”

So as far as India having these capabilities, i believe its available as an option. But we wont declare it publicly for some good amount of time to come...

Dr W. Selvamurthy, former chief controller of DRDO and space enthusiast, said incidents of meteorites hitting the land seem to be on the rise. “We can’t sit tight saying meteorites can’t be tracked when people are dying. A bigger meteorite can cause serious damage. I am sure organisations like ISRO and National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) has the capability to develop a defence mechanism. NTRO has developed an anti-satellite mechanism where it can target and destroy space satellites in orbit. Why can’t we predict these objects and judge the velocity at which they are falling and where it would impact”, he said.

Source:
Vellore explosion: Meteorite killed TN bus driver

@SpArK @Levina @Parul @Syama Ayas
@third eye @Abingdonboy @nair @SrNair @MilSpec @PARIKRAMA @sarjenprabhu @kaykay @jbgt90 @Skull and Bones
@acetophenol and others.

makes sense. It is logical all Indian military sats and spy sats will be under NTRO. They probably extended the capability to keep a tab on tracking other sats. But if the ASAT is also under NTRO then we've missed the mother of all stories here. Any agency with a an ASAT obviously can operate (armed) drones too. RAW has become very powerful and expanded into a CIA like organization with armed drones, military sats and the full works.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom