What's new

‘Everything is easier in dictatorships’: Ski boss oddly commends China on 2022 Olympics

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
‘Everything is easier in dictatorships’: Ski boss oddly commends China on 2022 Olympics

• Let’s face it, democracy is great, but it is also a deeply flawed system in practice
  • China’s infrastructure project efficiency is admirable, even if living in an authoritative regime is not

PUBLISHED : Friday, 08 February, 2019, 12:36pm

bf38597c-2b53-11e9-8864-9e8ab15a22ca_image_hires_123649.JPG

As politically incorrect as this may sound, Gian-Franco Kasper has a bit of a point.

The 75-year-old honorary International Olympic Committee member stirred up controversy earlier this week by declaring that “everything is easier in dictatorships”, noting that “dictators can organise events such (as the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing) without asking the people’s permission”.

The head of the International Ski Federation also denied climate change and denounced immigrants, but that is another story altogether.

Putting aside the countless pitfalls of authoritarian regimes such as human rights violations, lack of freedom and liberty for its citizens, Kasper has an interesting, albeit crude, argument (he back-pedalled on Friday and clarified his comments).

Democracy, seen as the shining light that will guide the world’s political spectrum through the 21st century, is a deeply flawed system. It looks great on paper; however, as we have seen lately, in practice it is an entirely different story.

A system built on public consultation and elected representation sounds amazing. But one only has to trot out a few examples (Brexit, Donald Trump, Rodrigo Duterte, Catalonia and the fact that voter turnout has been dropping across the planet for more than a quarter century) to make a viable counter argument.

Elections, referendums and general public consultation processes have turned into circus acts and drawn from the point, “for the people, by the people”.

The US government is mired in an extended lockdown as a Republican president tangles with a Democratic House while Theresa May is taking flak from pretty much every direction in the UK right now over Brexit.

Meanwhile in Canada, the Liberal government desperately needs to build and approve more pipelines to help its sagging economy, and also spur investment in more clean tech projects, but misguided public sentiment and outcry won’t let a drop of oil get anywhere these days.

Having covered China for years now, part of me feels slightly torn at times. I’d never want to be born and raised in a country where one political authority reigns supreme, but sometimes I wish there was another way around the debilitating bureaucratic nature of democracy.

Kasper was applauding China for its planning and progress in hosting the 2022 Winter Olympics (most nations are notoriously behind schedule leading up to games), adding dealing with the Communist Party is easier than dealing with other Western or European nations – and he’s probably right.

Modern China has never been accused of stagnation of any kind, that’s for sure, unless you’re talking about human rights or the general lack of its citizens’ freedom.

The inefficiencies I’ve witnessed growing up in Canada, where political parties spend as much time governing as they do trying to get elected, or trying to stay in power, seem unbalanced. I know the answer is not an authoritative regime, but I don’t think the answer is the pluralist democracy I’ve lived in for the majority of my life.

I spent my formative years in British Columbia watching major public infrastructure projects move at a snail’s pace, get bogged down in election cycles, and ultimately end up in massive cost overruns, if they were even completed at all.

Case in point: Surrey, a major city outside of Vancouver, has spent years trying to bring light rapid transit to its community. Finally, the federal and provincial government came on board, but then the citizens voted in a new mayor who declared they’d rather have a SkyTrain line extension running from Vancouver, which costs billions more and would send the entire process back to the drawing board.

Vancouver also held a referendum a few years back on installing a transit tax to help the region upgrade its transportation infrastructure. The issue was consistently ranked as the top worry on voters’ minds, but when the time came to approve a 0.5 per cent sales tax, they shot it down with great glee as a middle finger to government inaction and overspending in a horrible catch-22.

During the lead up to the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, I watched my hometown go through a myriad phases: first there was the initial excitement, then the anger at things like a new SkyTrain line from the airport to downtown, then two weeks of total fun, followed by years of negative press and a massive political hangover.

Councillors, mayors and elected politicians of all walks of life got kicked to the curb for supporting projects that went over budget, and the whole event cost way more than I think anyone expected.

China does not have these problems when it comes to the 2022 Winter Olympics, or in hosting any major sporting event for that matter. The country’s efficiency on a bureaucratic level is second to none when it comes to anything large scale.

Just look at the Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau Bridge or the New Silk Road. Back home in Vancouver, they’ve been pondering the idea of building a bridge to Vancouver Island for decades, but no government will ever get enough power to will such a project through to completion (let alone the planning stage), even though it would be a boon for British Columbians in so many ways.

I know suspending democracy to get certain things done quickly sounds like the worst slippery political slope ever and by no means am I saying a free society is not the way to go, but, man, could this beater of a political ideology use a shiny new upgrade.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/article/...s-ski-boss-oddly-commends-china-2022-olympics

Its true in a way. Do you think any democracy in the world can have this level of unusually fast growth?
you want to build a highway you build it without spending years in getting land and environmental clearence and permissions etc.

You set up a new plant and force 1000 people to work at minimum wages.

All this is not possible in a democratic country.

• Let’s face it, democracy is great, but it is also a deeply flawed system in practice
  • China’s infrastructure project efficiency is admirable, even if living in an authoritative regime is not

PUBLISHED : Friday, 08 February, 2019, 12:36pm

bf38597c-2b53-11e9-8864-9e8ab15a22ca_image_hires_123649.JPG

As politically incorrect as this may sound, Gian-Franco Kasper has a bit of a point.

The 75-year-old honorary International Olympic Committee member stirred up controversy earlier this week by declaring that “everything is easier in dictatorships”, noting that “dictators can organise events such (as the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing) without asking the people’s permission”.

The head of the International Ski Federation also denied climate change and denounced immigrants, but that is another story altogether.

Putting aside the countless pitfalls of authoritarian regimes such as human rights violations, lack of freedom and liberty for its citizens, Kasper has an interesting, albeit crude, argument (he back-pedalled on Friday and clarified his comments).

Democracy, seen as the shining light that will guide the world’s political spectrum through the 21st century, is a deeply flawed system. It looks great on paper; however, as we have seen lately, in practice it is an entirely different story.

A system built on public consultation and elected representation sounds amazing. But one only has to trot out a few examples (Brexit, Donald Trump, Rodrigo Duterte, Catalonia and the fact that voter turnout has been dropping across the planet for more than a quarter century) to make a viable counter argument.

Elections, referendums and general public consultation processes have turned into circus acts and drawn from the point, “for the people, by the people”.

The US government is mired in an extended lockdown as a Republican president tangles with a Democratic House while Theresa May is taking flak from pretty much every direction in the UK right now over Brexit.

Meanwhile in Canada, the Liberal government desperately needs to build and approve more pipelines to help its sagging economy, and also spur investment in more clean tech projects, but misguided public sentiment and outcry won’t let a drop of oil get anywhere these days.

Having covered China for years now, part of me feels slightly torn at times. I’d never want to be born and raised in a country where one political authority reigns supreme, but sometimes I wish there was another way around the debilitating bureaucratic nature of democracy.

Kasper was applauding China for its planning and progress in hosting the 2022 Winter Olympics (most nations are notoriously behind schedule leading up to games), adding dealing with the Communist Party is easier than dealing with other Western or European nations – and he’s probably right.

Modern China has never been accused of stagnation of any kind, that’s for sure, unless you’re talking about human rights or the general lack of its citizens’ freedom.

The inefficiencies I’ve witnessed growing up in Canada, where political parties spend as much time governing as they do trying to get elected, or trying to stay in power, seem unbalanced. I know the answer is not an authoritative regime, but I don’t think the answer is the pluralist democracy I’ve lived in for the majority of my life.

I spent my formative years in British Columbia watching major public infrastructure projects move at a snail’s pace, get bogged down in election cycles, and ultimately end up in massive cost overruns, if they were even completed at all.

Case in point: Surrey, a major city outside of Vancouver, has spent years trying to bring light rapid transit to its community. Finally, the federal and provincial government came on board, but then the citizens voted in a new mayor who declared they’d rather have a SkyTrain line extension running from Vancouver, which costs billions more and would send the entire process back to the drawing board.

Vancouver also held a referendum a few years back on installing a transit tax to help the region upgrade its transportation infrastructure. The issue was consistently ranked as the top worry on voters’ minds, but when the time came to approve a 0.5 per cent sales tax, they shot it down with great glee as a middle finger to government inaction and overspending in a horrible catch-22.

During the lead up to the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, I watched my hometown go through a myriad phases: first there was the initial excitement, then the anger at things like a new SkyTrain line from the airport to downtown, then two weeks of total fun, followed by years of negative press and a massive political hangover.

Councillors, mayors and elected politicians of all walks of life got kicked to the curb for supporting projects that went over budget, and the whole event cost way more than I think anyone expected.

China does not have these problems when it comes to the 2022 Winter Olympics, or in hosting any major sporting event for that matter. The country’s efficiency on a bureaucratic level is second to none when it comes to anything large scale.

Just look at the Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau Bridge or the New Silk Road. Back home in Vancouver, they’ve been pondering the idea of building a bridge to Vancouver Island for decades, but no government will ever get enough power to will such a project through to completion (let alone the planning stage), even though it would be a boon for British Columbians in so many ways.

I know suspending democracy to get certain things done quickly sounds like the worst slippery political slope ever and by no means am I saying a free society is not the way to go, but, man, could this beater of a political ideology use a shiny new upgrade.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/article/...s-ski-boss-oddly-commends-china-2022-olympics

there are tons of dictatorships that have gone south

you want to build a highway you build it without spending years in getting land and environmental clearence and permissions etc.
Unless they are not happy with the compensation and refuse to move.
maxresdefault.jpg

123990911_11n.jpg

Oz4Q-fykusez0438076.jpg

let us see what happens to chinese workers who want to organize a union
Worker unions are government controlled, but that's a different matter, I was talking about his claim, employment is a choice in China, I don't know about it in India, do they have forced laborers or child laborers?

If China took the way of democracy, could be very likely end up as another India.

We are extremely happy with 'our way'. Period.
We deeply admire Chinese Growth, But we dont need to Follow the SAME path .. Our Problems.. our Unique Solutions.

Take Indian Space Program as an Example. We re far far behind NASA or Chinese Space Achievements. True.
But, We still have achieved what many western nations have not - Infact we Reached mars in FIRST Attempt.
Now, That doesn't demonstrate that we are 'superior' to any one, but merely the fact that we can think of UNIQUE approaches and .. It can and will be different than the path taken by China or US.

maxresdefault.jpg

Take another Example, Thorium based Nuclear Reactors ( India's 3 Stage Program ) and fast breeder Reactors.
We have Marvell this technology and are speeding ahead to device an Entirely new Method to feed a billion population.

Once again, we did not follow the west or China, but devised our own Path to achieve our unique goals.

Ad we will continue to do so in future.

I will love to have a 'slow' growth rather getting kidneys removed in Prison.
Humans Must be given their basic Right - To Live.

Besides, Before you mention "India" , please understand the Liberty of getting news from a "Free Press" ( for minor / major events in India ) which means a HUGE Difference.

How can we even compare the two when we know almost nothing about what happens INSIDE China ?

Last edited:
We deeply admire Chinese Growth, But we dont need to Follow the SAME path .. Our Problems.. our Unique Solutions.

Take Indian Space Program as an Example. We re far far behind NASA or Chinese Space Achievements. True.
But, We still have achieved what many western nations have not - Infact we Reached mars in FIRST Attempt.
Now, That doesn't demonstrate that we are 'superior' to any one, but merely the fact that we can think of UNIQUE approaches and .. It can and will be different than the path taken by China or US.

maxresdefault.jpg

Take another Example, Thorium based Nuclear Reactors ( India's 3 Stage Program ) and fast breeder Reactors.
We have Marvell this technology and are speeding ahead to device an Entirely new Method to feed a billion population.

Once again, we did not follow the west or China, but devised our own Path to achieve our unique goals.

No one ask you to change, on the contrary, it's Indians always ridicule China's social system on this forum, they should know that we are both happy with what we have.

the pictures are amusing
In Chinese we call them “钉子户” who very often insanely claim that their houses worth many times more than their market values.

You can find tons of similar funny pictues here
https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=...2a3gAhWjxlQKHWQOAs8Q_AUIDigB&biw=1680&bih=913

No one ask you to change, on the contrary, it's Indians always ridicule China's social system on this forum, they should know that we are both happy with what we have.

In Chinese we call them “钉子户” who very often insanely claim that their houses worth many times more than their market values.

Im not sure about the "social" system. China has a Great Culture and a Rich Heritage.
China is a country of hard working people thats beyond doubt.

But, India is Different , very different. ATLEAST the Political system and its "methods" do make a huge difference and when counting the positives, one must carefully examine the "negatives" for BOTH sides to reach a rational conclusion.

Im not sure about the "social" system. China has a Great Culture and a Rich Heritage.
China is a country of hard working people thats beyond doubt.

But, India is Different , very different. ATLEAST the Political system and its "methods" do make a huge difference and when counting the positives, one must carefully examine the "negatives" for BOTH sides to reach a rational conclusion.
Your point is good, unlike other Indians always ridiclue China saying you can't do this and you can do that or you are herded like brainless animals. We always know there's no absolute democracy or freedom, only balance, you want to get something, you have to give something, it's give and take. We are both happy with what we give and what we take.

Your point is good, unlike other Indians always ridiclue China saying you can't do this and you can do that or you are herded like brainless animals. We always know there's no absolute democracy or freedom, only balance, you want to get something, you have to give something, it's give and take. We are both happy with what we give and what we take.

Fully Agree.

India has chosen democracy but it has inherited its deficiencies like corruption to great extent.
Infact, our Freedom Fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose wanted a Dictatorship for a few few years after 1947 to make/bring things in order.

I mean its not that we don't understand the pluses of a "different" system than ours. As you rightly mentioned :

We are both happy with what we give and what we take.

maxresdefault.jpg

I will love to have a 'slow' growth rather getting kidneys removed in Prison.
Humans Must be given their basic Right - To Live.

Besides, Before you mention "India" , please understand the Liberty of getting news from a "Free Press" ( for minor / major events in India ) which means a HUGE Difference.

How can we even compare the two when we know almost nothing about what happens INSIDE China ?

Blind will not know how sunrise looks like nor the the deaf can relish the music. There is no point in having discussion with those ppl who have no idea what freedom is.

A goal can be reached in many ways. Some of them are tough, want to become rich you can work harder in ethical ways and make money. A corrupt can also become rich but obviously wont have any pride or honor.

We have made our choice whether it succeeds or fails we will have our honor , dignity above all freedom to choose what we want to be. As they say it is the journey that is important not the destination that matters.

Blind will not know how sunrise looks like nor the the deaf can relish the music. There is no point in having discussion with those ppl who have no idea what freedom is.
See, case in point, that's the most Indians I refered in my previous post.

Back
Top Bottom