What's new

Euro crisis may trigger more capital flows into India: RBI

keyboard

New Recruit

Reaction score
India is likely to see more capital inflows as investors may find the Indian market an attractive destination, especially in the backdrop of uncertain global markets, Reserve Bank of India Deputy Governor Usha Thorat has said.

“Money probably tries to come to places where it gets better returns. So, from the point of view of capital flows, you do have the likelihood of more uncertainty in the rest of the world and therefore more money coming to India,” Thorat told reporters here.
Foreign institutional investors have so far invested around $5 billion (Rs 23,350 crore) in the domestic share market as against a total investment of $17.45 billion (Rs 81,491 crore) in 2009. Policy makers, worldwide, are watching the developments associated with the euro zone crisis, which broke out after Greece nearly defaulted on public debt. Some of its neighbouring countries face similar issues.

To avert the deepening of the crisis, euro zone countries and the International Monetary Fund announced a $1-trillion rescue package to bail out Greece. RBI, unwinding the monetary stimulus, faces the dilemma of hiking policy rates while the recovery is still nascent.

Noting that India was getting increasingly integrated with the global economy, Thorat said this made the country less immune to developments happening abroad. Thorat said the growth in developing countries like India and China had been good, backed by recovery in industry and services sectors, although the country’s agriculture output is yet to pick up.

Replying to a query, Thorat said Indian banks’ asset quality was healthy and “there is nothing to worry”. Many banks, including the country’s largest, State Bank of India, have witnessed a rise in bad loans after the financial downturn that affected the ability of customers to repay loans.

RBI, which is slated to announce its quarterly review of the annual monetary policy on July 27, is widely expected to hike its short-term lending and borrowing rates (repo and reverse repo) by 0.25 per cent but may leave the mandatory cash reserve ratio — the amount banks have to park with the central bank — untouched, as cash conditions are tight.

We need more SEZs. If some body wants to invest money in India, let him set up a industry, and not go in share market.

India is likely to see more capital inflows as investors may find the Indian market an attractive destination, especially in the backdrop of uncertain global markets, Reserve Bank of India Deputy Governor Usha Thorat has said.

“Money probably tries to come to places where it gets better returns. So, from the point of view of capital flows, you do have the likelihood of more uncertainty in the rest of the world and therefore more money coming to India,” Thorat told reporters here.
Foreign institutional investors have so far invested around $5 billion (Rs 23,350 crore) in the domestic share market as against a total investment of $17.45 billion (Rs 81,491 crore) in 2009. Policy makers, worldwide, are watching the developments associated with the euro zone crisis, which broke out after Greece nearly defaulted on public debt. Some of its neighbouring countries face similar issues.

To avert the deepening of the crisis, euro zone countries and the International Monetary Fund announced a $1-trillion rescue package to bail out Greece. RBI, unwinding the monetary stimulus, faces the dilemma of hiking policy rates while the recovery is still nascent.

Noting that India was getting increasingly integrated with the global economy, Thorat said this made the country less immune to developments happening abroad. Thorat said the growth in developing countries like India and China had been good, backed by recovery in industry and services sectors, although the country’s agriculture output is yet to pick up.

Replying to a query, Thorat said Indian banks’ asset quality was healthy and “there is nothing to worry”. Many banks, including the country’s largest, State Bank of India, have witnessed a rise in bad loans after the financial downturn that affected the ability of customers to repay loans.

RBI, which is slated to announce its quarterly review of the annual monetary policy on July 27, is widely expected to hike its short-term lending and borrowing rates (repo and reverse repo) by 0.25 per cent but may leave the mandatory cash reserve ratio — the amount banks have to park with the central bank — untouched, as cash conditions are tight.
Indians, brace yourselves. You'd most likely see a flood of European money into your market, and perhaps European immigrants to India :lol:.

After China, I think India is the most lucrative alternative the the Asian giant now a days hailed as a more secure investment zone from IPR perspective. Of all the countries in Europe, Germany is the most eager country to do business with you people. Trading with a growing economy like yours is perhaps the only win-win situation that can benefit European continent as a whole (apart from EU).

I'm of the opinion that the Euro crisis will actually make investors wary of any risky investments (India is a developing economy and is still considered riskier than say U.S., since U.S. debt is (so far) considered risk free.)
I foresee relatively more funds flowing towards U.S. treasury bonds relative to Indian markets. just my 2cents
I certainly hope I'm wrong so my nation gets more money :D

^^^ I agree. In a European crisis, many of the European banks and FIs which would have invested in municipal and govt bonds of PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain) would be severely hit. Naturally, there would be a liquidity crunch in such institutions and they would want cash with them. Hence, they would want to exit from their investments in India, China and keep the cash with them. Therefore, in the short term, I see money flowing out of India.....unless there is a flaw in my reasoning ?

I'm of the opinion that the Euro crisis will actually make investors wary of any risky investments (India is a developing economy and is still considered riskier than say U.S., since U.S. debt is (so far) considered risk free.)
I foresee relatively more funds flowing towards U.S. treasury bonds relative to Indian markets. just my 2cents
I certainly hope I'm wrong so my nation gets more money :D
But this won't be helpful in the long run after what happened to Lehmann Brothers. I agree that there's more chance for the money to flow from European nations to American institutions.

However, world is increasingly looking towards Asia and to be honest the only two countries that make sense to European investors for investing at the moment are China and India--- the former for its immense manufacturing capability and the latter for its rapid service economy.

Back
Top Bottom