What's new

EU referendum: Cameron sets June date for UK vote

Raja.Pakistani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The UK will vote on whether to remain in the EU on Thursday 23 June, Prime Minister David Cameron has said.

The prime minister made his historic announcement in Downing Street after briefing the cabinet.

He said he would be campaigning to remain in a reformed EU - and described the vote as one of the biggest decisions "in our lifetimes".

Ministers immediately divided up into the leave and remain camps as the campaigns got under way in earnest.

[video]
[/video]

The referendum date announcement comes after renegotiations on the UK's relationship with Europe were finalised on Friday night after intense wrangling at a two-day summit in Brussels.

The agreement, which will take effect immediately if the UK votes to remain in the EU, include changes to migrant welfare payments, safeguards for Britain's financial services and making it easier to block unwanted EU regulations.

Some Conservative MPs have announced their intention to back the prime minister. The Labour Party, SNP, Plaid Cymru and the Lib Dems are also in favour of staying in.

But many Conservatives have announced they will back the leave campaign including Mr Cameron's long-time ally, Justice Secretary Michael Gove.

London Mayor Boris Johnson, who has previously been a Eurosceptic, has yet to declare where he stands.

According to the latest opinion polls, the British public are thought to be fairly evenly split.

Analysis
_88363888_b0066bfe-503f-4386-b952-d3388ac7138e.jpg
Image copyrightVote Leave
Image captionMinisters nail their colours to the Vote Leave campaign
By BBC Political Editor Laura Kuenssberg
Despite the polite promises of civilised debate, Mr Cameron is risking the unity of his party with the referendum.

Cabinet ministers like Iain Duncan Smith and Michael Gove, finally allowed to speak out today, rushed straight from Downing Street to work the phones for one of the leave campaigns.

The gang of six who posed awkwardly for photographs could well become seven when Boris Johnson breaks his continuing silence.

But whatever the individual calculations, expressions of opinion on either side are dwarfed by what today's announcement finally confirms.

That in 123 days British voters have the chance to choose to step away from one of the institutions that has shaped our laws, and all of our lives, for more than 40 years.

In his statement, Mr Cameron warned that leaving the EU would be a "leap in the dark" as he urged voters to back his reform deal.

"The choice is in your hands - but my recommendation is clear. I believe that Britain will be safer, stronger and better off by remaining in a reformed European Union."

Home Secretary Theresa May said the EU was far from perfect but "for reasons of security, protection against crime and terrorism, trade with Europe, and access to markets around the world" it was in the national interest to remain in.

EU referendum: Cameron sets June date for UK vote - BBC News

the UK didn't adopt the Euro and they'll be the first to leave the EU

:wave::wave:

If the UK votes to leave, the very first thing that will happen is that Scotland will demand a referendum on staying in the UK.

It's almost certain that Scotland will vote to leave the UK, and will then join the EU.

UK is playing a dangerous game

It may want out of Europe because they don't like being dictated to by Brussels

However in the UK people like the Scots don't like being dictated to by London

It will lead to the eventual break up of the UK

The 'game' is being played by pro-Putin racists and Christian fanatics in the USA and UK aka the 'Red troll army'.

Loads of them pro putin weirdos in the daily mail, as if he cares about them

Yes, he winds them up like one of those toy monkeys with talk about how their rights are being taken away by migrants, points them in the direction of the EU, and they do his job for him.

According to Wikipedia, the Daily Mail backed Hitler. Not much has changed.

If the UK votes to leave, the very first thing that will happen is that Scotland will demand a referendum on staying in the UK.

It's almost certain that Scotland will vote to leave the UK, and will then join the EU.

We had referendum on Scottish independence on 18 Sep 2014

55.3% voted against independence compare to 44.7% who said yes for Independence

They will not adopt Euro currency even if stay within EU..
I am confuse whether i should vote yes or no :D

We had referendum on Scottish independence on 18 Sep 2014

55.3% voted against independence compare to 44.7% who said yes for Independence

They will not adopt Euro currency even if stay within EU..
I am confuse whether i should vote yes or no :D

What does Scotland have to gain from staying in a UK controlled by distant London, which itself will then be on the European periphery?

Voting to stay would certainly wipe the smile off the faces of all those American racists and Christian fanatics....:lol:
Just think of an EU which is even more liberal....:yahoo:

I bet Putin is wanking his dick like a mad man at this prospect, I saw that Le Pens party asked Russia for another loan (yesterday I think), as for Scotland, most voted to stay as part of the UK and in current polls slightly more would want to go back to the EU if the UK left the EU but its close either way, we really should leave though im starting to think despite being against is. I think we can make it work to our benefit if we leave, establish a north European treaty or something with the Scandinavian countries and dominate.

They can't just "decide" to leave. They wouldn't be allowed to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom