What's new

Empire with No Clothes

MirBadshah

BANNED
Reaction score
Empire with No Clothes:

Lessons for India from America

If you are thinking the United States and George W. Bush you are right too, but I am thinking of something closer to my home in India, which may not be that dissimilar. The felling of Saddam Hussein's statue in central Baghdad and the proclamation of victory in the war against Iraq seems a distant memory. What Bush and his advisers forgot was to be ready to manage the empire after the conquest.

Sadly they forgot to take their clothes, and were completely exposed, caught rather embarassingly with their pants down. Three years on George Bush stands as the emperor with no clothes as anarchy reigns in Iraq and the costs of war to his own people rise, be it the loss of life or the drain on resources. The superpower humbled by its own incompetence.

What, you might ask, does this have to do with happenings in India?

Well, something unusual happened last week: an ageing Indian company, no less than a hundred years old took over a much younger and bigger company in Europe. The Tata Steel takeoever of the Anglo-Dutch behemoth Corus Steel was greeted with a chorus of euphoria in India, not dissimilar to the euphoria in America after the fall of Baghdad in 2003.

India, some claim, is now a superpower spreading its economic might and empire, while the Tata's are the army, leading the triumphant charge. A scratch below the surface of triumph conceals a reality check which all in the euphoric chorus would be well advised to take heed of.

Can India possibly claim to be superpower, the new emperor, just because some of it's corporates are taking over firms abroad.

Corporate might hasn't turned into well-being for the majority of the people who still languish in poverty, illiteracy, hunger: basically dismal human conditions. Even possessing a few nuclear weapons doesn't change this fact. And if half a country's population cannot read, feed or cloth itself, what does that say about the empire? Even the American empire seems hollow when it is estimated that one in six people in the US is functionally illiterate, a large number of them live in poverty, where poverty is often a function of race, and where hurricanes like Katrina leave the mighty government fumbling for solutions.

But let's return again to to the Indian empire. What of the valiant army, the foot soldiers, the Tata Group in this case. Are they creatings trong empires or merely those in name but no substance? A closer examination of some of the facts about this takeoever and takeovers in general may shed some light.

To begin, creating an empire, whether corporate or political costs money. And someone has to pay. The Tata's have paid $12.1 billion for Corus. Money that is borrowed and has to be paid back, with interest. Will the new conglomorate be profitable enough to make their investment worthwhile?

One may argue that Tata Steel is now a giant, the fifth largest steel company in the world. But giants aren't always profitable or successful. Look what happened to Corus. Look elsewhere at what is happening to other gigantic firms: General Motors is struggling, so is Ford. And these are legendary firms, which we were told, have sales in excess of the GDP of many developing countries.

But Tata Corus may be different. Possibly. Note, however, the fact that Tata Steel has acquired a firm which is much less efficient than itself, both in terms of profit margins which are about half of Tata's and in terms of costs, which are much higher especially the costs of labour. Thus, the immediate outcome for the combined entity is a fall in profitability and efficieny from the level of Tata Steel.

Think the outcome for Germany after the more prosperous West united with the less prosperous East, and you'll get the picture. Thus, a lot of hard work is needed to pull Tata Corus up. Is Ratan Tata's homework ebtter than George W. Bush's, or is it an act of bravado based more on hope than on hard economic calculus? Have the Tata's over-stretched themselves in order to ' win their battle' (prompted by a jingoistic nation and it's over enthusiastic media) for Corus, against CSN from Brazil? Groege Bush and his army are certainly over-stretched in Iraq, and feeling the heat. Even the highest quality steel can melt under extreme temperatures.

What makes things even more complicated for the Tata's with Corus is that steel is a sunset industry in the West.

The demand for steel and the production of steel in the UK, which is the home of Corus, has fallen steadily over the last thirty years. Steel in a sunrise industry in emerging markets. So it makes sense acquiring firms in say China and Brazil but does it make the same sense acquiring an Anglo-Dutch firm which basically services small and shrinking markets. Again, time will tell, but the outcome is far from certain.

An investigation into the technical side reveals evidence from economic literature on the subject suggesting that mergers and acquisitions do not always lead to higher profits for the new company, or indeed higher share prices. In fact, a lot of evidence from the industrialized countries, where a majority of mergers and acquisitions have hitherto occurred, shows the opposite. What does happen for certain is a downsizing of jobs.

Acquiring a firm in a different country brings its own adjustment problems. A probable clash of managerial and worker cultures. A resistance to control by a firm seen to be from the developing world. Again the analogy with what the Americans are facing in Iraq is obvious.

If this is sounding very pessimistic, let it not. It is not meant to be. The Tata's have achieved a lot, both in India and abroad, especially under the able stewardship of Ratan Tata. In fact, some of their earlier acquisitions of steel firms in Thailand and Singapiore made good sense. As did their takeoever of the bankrupt Daewoo Commercial Vehicles at a very reasonable price. India as a country, too, has made great strides over the last sixty years.

But proclamations of conquest, and of empire, or of superpower status seem premature. Almost like hubris before a fall. Just like Iraq 2003. Caution is the better part of valor, and the enthusiasts would do well to temper their emotions, and let those in charge do their homework dilligently, without the pressure of jingoism and nationalism. The outcomes, in that case, are likely to be way superior.

It would seem wiser to be in a situation where one is all dressed up with nowhere to go, than to rush towards an empire with no clothes.

http://3quarksdaily.blogs.com/3quarksdaily...e_with_no_.html

The article is good, however the writer is foolish to assume that Tata, one of the most profitable and well run companies, would not have thought of these details before bidding for Corus.

Good article but I disagree with the title. It talks about Bush, clothes , Superpower and Tata buying Corus in same breath.

That was simply a comparison, the basic these is that a profitable company buying a less profitable company and that too with borrowed money.

In a country where costs of production is higher, labour laws are tough and regulations can not be avioded.............and at the same time he is true that in such deal with borrowed money is same as you are going out without your own clothes.

rather stay home and dressed.

The article is good, however the writer is foolish to assume that Tata, one of the most profitable and well run companies, would not have thought of these details before bidding for Corus.

Actually this was.and will remain a bad deal.they got into a bidding war.they over paid.i hope it works out for them.
malaymishra correct me if iam wrong but wasn't tata subsidized by Indian tax payers for a long time.

Its simply Buisness. If a company ahs experience believes it can buy larger firms and still make profit out of it should go ahead and do it.
CSN's price offered was 5 cents less. So you mean to say CSN was not into this ?

Corus is not in India I believe different labor laws and regulations are applicable, This is world of Globablization.

Its simply Buisness. If a company ahs experience believes it can buy larger firms and still make profit out of it should go ahead and do it.
CSN's price offered was 5 cents less. So you mean to say CSN was not into this ?

Corus is not in India I believe different labor laws and regulations are applicable, This is world of Globablization.

huh?:coffee:

Actually this was.and will remain a bad deal.they got into a bidding war.they over paid.i hope it works out for them.
malaymishra correct me if iam wrong but wasn't tata subsidized by Indian tax payers for a long time.

I hope so too, but the facts remain, both CSN and Tata thought that Corus was worth it, and they thus bought. Infact after the Tata bagged Corus, Ratan Tata said that there was a limit to which he was going to go for Corus, and he had not reached that limit yet. Tata also had a many respectable banks as advisors who agreed with his plan. Still, lets hope it works out.

And i dont know, how was it subsidized, ie in which sector was it subsidized?

Ofcourse the article is wrong, The percentage of peoples with no clothes is way higher than reported.

Normally Traditional indian dress is dhoti, which tends to open uo quite easily, so you have to include that percentage in it.

Add to that india is 1bn plus people so eash time calculating on time taken by a child to born and birth rate a probability can be reached on how many are deliberately not wearing clothes at any present time.

The article fails to add that value as well.

cheetah, Tatas Market capitulation is huge, I dont exactly know to comprehend the benefits to Indian economy but there are 6 figure salary paid peoples to do the math , which i dont see this guy is capable of doing.

Tatas are responsible of around 2% of Indian GDP atleast, oh and recently a kashmiri leader was operated in India in tata memorial cancer research hospital after he was denied visa to US and somehow he also denied visiting Imrans hospital.

Tata's contribution towards India cannot be explained by words.

Ofcourse the article is wrong, The percentage of peoples with no clothes is way higher than reported.

Normally Traditional indian dress is dhoti, which tends to open uo quite easily, so you have to include that percentage in it.

Add to that india is 1bn plus people so eash time calculating on time taken by a child to born and birth rate a probability can be reached on how many are deliberately not wearing clothes at any present time.

The article fails to add that value as well.

cheetah, Tatas Market capitulation is huge, I dont exactly know to comprehend the benefits to Indian economy but there are 6 figure salary paid peoples to do the math , which i dont see this guy is capable of doing.

Tatas are responsible of around 2% of Indian GDP atleast, oh and recently a kashmiri leader was operated in India in tata memorial cancer research hospital after he was denied visa to US and somehow he also denied visiting Imrans hospital.

Tata's contribution towards India cannot be explained by words.

well i actually enjoy my dhoti in summer time.but i dare not wear it in the winter times.specially when its -40 out side. if you no what i mean.:D

Joey six figure salary means what.absolutely nothing.if they making that kind of money in India.whats that about 2,358.49 USD.
i bet ya all of the workers in Corus makes more then that.
Iam not saying Tata is run by stupids.but what you are doing is looking at it as a patriotic deal.which is why you ar giving me all the statistics.
Let me explain it to u this way so you will understand it.

As u mentioned that there is people in Tata making six figures salary.so they are automatically smart.or they have the knowledge what ever the reason.its not Relevant,
what do you think About Mercedes Benz.its a world known name brand right.

BERLIN — DaimlerChrysler boss Dieter Zetsche bowed to pressure Wednesday, confirming publicly for the first time that the company is in talks with potential buyers interested in purchasing its financially embattled Chrysler Group, which includes the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brands.

Speaking at DaimlerChrysler's annual shareholder meeting in Berlin, Zetsche indicated that a number of suitors have already shown a "clear interest" in Chrysler since a February 4 announcement that the company would explore all strategic options of its money-losing U.S. unit, including a possible sale. However, he stopped short of providing details of the talks or the identity of the parties involved, saying all options were open.

"I can confirm that we are talking with some potential partners who have shown a clear interest [in the purchase of Chrysler]," he told DaimlerChrysler shareholders in introductory remarks to announce the company's 2006 financial results, adding, "It is also true that we need to keep all options open, and that I cannot disclose any details, because we need to have the maximum scope for maneuver."

Commenting on the heavily cloaked nature of the talks surrounding the possible sale of Chrysler, Zetsche said it would be "irresponsible" to provide any more details at this time, suggesting DaimlerChrysler is seeking "the greatest possible flexibility to implement the best possible action."

He did suggest, however, that he is pleased with the progress being made, telling shareholders: "So far, I am satisfied with the process. Everything is going according to plan."

Zetsche indicated that, whatever option is taken with Chrysler, it will require that turnaround plans implemented earlier this year be continued. He also suggested that Mercedes-Benz may seek to continue cooperation with Chrysler even if it is sold, but only if it "makes financial sense for both sides."

Zetsche's unexpected confirmation of talks that could lead to the sale of Chrysler comes as rumors begin to swirl about a possible hostile takeover of DaimlerChrysler. For some months now, financially analysts have argued that without the sale of Chrysler, DaimlerChrysler could become a takeover target itself.

Daimler-Benz paid $37 billion for Chrysler in 1998, calling it a merger of equals. Financial analysts suggest the company is worth no more than $10 billion today.

What this means to you: Rumors no more. The for-sale sign is up at Chrysler, and all signs indicate that interest is running high.

They have 2 bids so far .1 is for about 4.2billion us dollars and others is about 4.8billion us dollars.
i hope this will explain my point.when iam saying they paid 2 much.:coffee:

What they paid is another story, if some one had a look on the website of the CEO of this company (I dont remember his name), there were thousands and thousand messages on website "India is taking over the world".

I am still unable to understand that how one is taking over the world in a bad deal and that too with borrowed money.

Media and government of India kept the silence.

Cheetah,

I am not butting into this thread, cuz i think it is utter crap, The person doesnt understand why Tata's bought over corus, Raw materials and suppliers count a lot in this business.They bought it over-valued but I believe this industry is in for a second boom, they can always redeem it. Mittal did a similar deals in Europe and is making money and is testament to that,
anyways. I came in here to tell yo

Indians earn quite a bit in the private sector, My friend works in geojit, a kerala based equity firm and he earns 940,000 Indian Rupees every year and he passed out of the XLRI only two years back, You can be rest assured that Tata's and every company that do billion dollar deals have some really good brains and money to finance their employment

Adux,

try to spend some time in US stock markets, you would get batter idea about future of metal sector, i spend 12 hours in market every day and was some times back a stock holder in few metal companies.

I agree with article that future of metal sector is not that bright, too me it was a trap and media hype made it as "taking over the world".

Mir,

I do know a little bit about this sector, steel prices are over the roof, Cuz one cannot even supply enough to the Chinese. India is on the brink of its Infrastructure boom. Tata's can tap into the wide Supplier base of Corrus for Raw materials. I expect job cuts in the UK, I am into markets myself. I think it is over-valued, but not by so much. They can easily recover, just makes it a little bit longer

The whole taking over the world is a media thingie, Its first time a Indian company is taking over a large MNC of the WHITE MAN. Take it easy on that Mir, People are just happy. It is just like Sri Lanka/India/Pakistan defeating England in a cricket match for the first time. And our Government Dosent get involved in these private deals

Cheetah,

I am not butting into this thread, cuz i think it is utter crap, The person doesnt understand why Tata's bought over corus, Raw materials and suppliers count a lot in this business.They bought it over-valued but I believe this industry is in for a second boom, they can always redeem it. Mittal did a similar deals in Europe and is making money and is testament to that,
anyways. I came in here to tell yo

Indians earn quite a bit in the private sector, My friend works in geojit, a kerala based equity firm and he earns 940,000 Indian Rupees every year and he passed out of the XLRI only two years back, You can be rest assured that Tata's and every company that do billion dollar deals have some really good brains and money to finance their employment

Adux the problem is you are looking at it as a patriotic act.which it isn't,this is a business deal.simple as that.but i guess i will stay out of this one.congratulation to Tata.

Just so u no if you buy out your competition.to get to there suppliers.and over pay billion or more.not a smart move.may be thats why equity firms in India are making a mint.

Private equity firms
Investment firms that pool money from wealthy investors, pension plans and other institutional investors to buy or take a stake in companies. These firms attempt to find ways to run companies better and sell them later for a profit. Private equity firms will often borrow additional money from banks so they can buy companies and only use a small portion of their own cash.

Back
Top Bottom