What's new

Edward Snowden leaves Hong Kong for Moscow

BDforever

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
NSA whistleblower left on Aeroflot flight to Moscow, Hong Kong government confirms, two days after US charged him with espionage.

The NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has flown out of Hong Kong, where he had been in hiding since identifying himself as the source of revelations on US surveillance programmes, despite a US request for his arrest.

The 30-year-old had previously said he would stay in the city and fight for his freedom in the courts. But the Hong Kong government confirmed that he left on Sunday, two days after the US announced it had charged him with espionage, saying documents filed by the US did not fully comply with legal requirements.

It also said it was requesting clarification from Washington on Snowden's claims that the US had hacked targets in the territory.

Snowden had been at a safe house since 10 June, when he checked out of his hotel after giving an interview to the Guardian outing himself as the source who leaked top secret documents.

Hong Kong's decision to allow him to leave comes a day after the US sought to turn up the pressure on the territory to hand him over, with a senior administration official telling the Washington Post: "If Hong Kong doesn't act soon, it will complicate our bilateral relations and raise questions about Hong Kong's commitment to the rule of law."

Sunday's statement from the Hong Kong authorities said: "Mr Edward Snowden left Hong Kong today [June 23] of his own accord for a third country through a lawful and normal channel.

"The US government earlier on made a request to the HKSAR [Hong Kong special administrative region] government for the issue of a provisional warrant of arrest against Mr Snowden. Since the documents provided by the US government did not fully comply with the legal requirements under Hong Kong law, the HKSAR government has requested the US government to provide additional information so that the Department of Justice could consider whether the US government's request can meet the relevant legal conditions.

"As the HKSAR government has yet to have sufficient information to process the request for provisional warrant of arrest, there is no legal basis to restrict Mr Snowden from leaving Hong Kong.

"The HKSAR government has already informed the US government of Mr Snowden's departure.

"Meanwhile, the HKSAR government has formally written to the US government requesting clarification on earlier reports about the hacking of computer systems in Hong Kong by US government agencies. The HKSAR government will continue to follow up on the matter so as to protect the legal rights of the people of Hong Kong."

According to the South China Morning Post, Snowden boarded an Aeroflot flight to Moscow, although the newspaper said Russia was not his ultimate destination. It suggested he might go to Ecuador or Iceland – having cited the latter as a possible refuge in an interview with the Guardian.

However, reports from Moscow indicate that Havana would be his next port of call, with the ultimate destination either Caracas in Venezuela or Quito in Ecuador.

The South China Morning Post claimed he took off from the airport at 10.55am on flight SU213 on Sunday morning and was due to arrive at Moscow's Shermetyevo International Airport at 5.15pm [local times].

It said the Russian embassy in Beijing would neither confirm nor deny he was on a flight to Moscow and the Russian consulate in Hong Kong declined to comment.

Dmitry Peskov, spokesman for Russian president Vladimir Putin, said: "I don't [know if he's planning to stay in Moscow]. I heard about the potential [arrival] from the press. I know nothing."

On whether Moscow would still consider a request for asylum from Snowden: "Every application is considered so it's standard procedure … We are not tracing his movements and I know nothing."

US authorities could not be reached for comment.

WikiLeaks tweeted to say that it had "assisted Mr Snowden's political asylum in a democratic country, travel papers and safe exit from Hong Kong".

On Friday, an Icelandic businessman linked to WikiLeaks told Reuters he had prepared a private plane for Snowden's use if the government was willing to give him asylum.

"A private jet is in place in China and we could fly Snowden over tomorrow if we get positive reaction from the interior ministry. We need to get confirmation of asylum and that he will not be extradited to the US. We would most want him to get a citizenship as well," said Olafur Vignir Sigurvinsson, a director of DataCell, which processed payments for WikiLeaks.

The Icelandic government has declined to say whether it would grant asylum to Snowden and pointed out that he would need to apply in person.

Snowden has said he did not travel direct to Iceland from the US because he feared the small country could be put under pressure by Washington.

Lawyers have said the legal battle for Snowden's surrender could last for years, particularly if he argued that he should not be returned because his offence was political. But they had also warned that in the long run he was unlikely to prove successful.

source: Edward Snowden leaves Hong Kong for Moscow | World news | guardian.co.uk

"The US government earlier on made a request to the HKSAR [Hong Kong special administrative region] government for the issue of a provisional warrant of arrest against Mr Snowden. Since the documents provided by the US government did not fully comply with the legal requirements under Hong Kong law, the HKSAR government has requested the US government to provide additional information so that the Department of Justice could consider whether the US government's request can meet the relevant legal conditions.

"As the HKSAR government has yet to have sufficient information to process the request for provisional warrant of arrest, there is no legal basis to restrict Mr Snowden from leaving Hong Kong.

"The HKSAR government has already informed the US government of Mr Snowden's departure.

"Meanwhile, the HKSAR government has formally written to the US government requesting clarification on earlier reports about the hacking of computer systems in Hong Kong by US government agencies. The HKSAR government will continue to follow up on the matter so as to protect the legal rights of the people of Hong Kong."

So we gave him safe passage to Russia, after which he will head to his intended final destination, Iceland.

Good outcome. :cheers:

Exactly what I said before, we should give him safe passage to wherever he wants to go, regardless of US arrest warrants.

Now where is @Jade who said we would give in, and send him back to America after they had formally charged him and issued an arrest warrant.

Sorry Jade, you were wrong as usual. :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now where is @Jade who said we would give in, and send him back to America after they had formally charged him and issued an arrest warrant.

Sorry Jade, you were wrong as usual. :wave:

Haven't you failed Snowden? After all he came to HK to seek protection. Now why is he going to Moscow? If Chinese authorities would have provided him abode there was no reason for him to leave HK

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't you failed Snowden? After all he came to HK to seek protection. Now why is he going to Moscow? If Chinese authorities would have provided him abode there was no reason for him to leave HK

He always said his final destination is Iceland. :lol:

You are really grasping at straws now Jade. We are not like you, backing down in Chumar without any resistance at all.

He always said his final destination is Iceland. :lol:

You are really grasping at straws now Jade. We are not like you backing down in Chumar without any resistance.

It was not about his final destination, it was the question of whether he would find abode in HK? I predicted that Snowden would leave HK in days.How right I was

So we gave him safe passage to Russia, after which he will head to his intended final destination, Iceland.

Good outcome. :cheers:

Exactly what I said before, we should give him safe passage to wherever he wants to go, regardless of US arrest warrants.

..but why only Iceland CD? M kinda naive in this regard.
thanks

It was not about his final destination, it was the question of whether he would find abode in HK? I predicted that Snowden would leave HK in days.How right I was

What a liar. :lol:

You said we didn't have the guts to refuse Snowden's extradition to America, here are your posts:

Bull$hit. This Eddie guy is trying to escape extradition to US, but I doubt China has guts to deny US the extradition. For sure, this guy is going to spend rest of his life behind bars.

China will extradite this guy. China is no Sweden. He did a terrible mistake to 'hide' in China. He should have taken refuge in any of the European union country.

What a joke. :rofl:

What a liar. :lol:

You said we didn't have the guts to refuse Snowden's extradition to America, here are your posts:

If he would have stayed in HK. He would have been extradited. So that is reason why he is leaving China

The events: 1) US asked China to attest Snowden. 2) China asked for additional information before arresting 3) Before US could send additional information, China has acted fast and asked Snowden to leave. All drama :lol: Again a face saving act by China.

This is what I wrote previously. How right I was

As I already said it was a face saving grace that India accepted.

Snowden came to China because he felt China will protect him. If he is going to Sweden than China has failed Snowden. This I by no mean see China as standing up to US. In the first instance Snowden should have gone to some European country to hide rather than go to China.

In above article read the following

Hong Kong's decision to allow him to leave comes a day after the US sought to turn up the pressure on the territory to hand him over, with a senior administration official telling the Washington Post: "If Hong Kong doesn't act soon, it will complicate our bilateral relations

LOL Jade, you really are clutching at straws. :lol:

Read your two posts above, you said we would extradite him back to America, but we didn't.

I'll say it again:

The difference between China and India, is that you folded at Chumar like a house of cards. Even though apparently we were 20 km inside Indian territory, India was the one who folded by demolishing all the bunkers we asked for, halting all infrastructure work, and stopping all troop patrols at Chumar.

Whereas in the case of China, we actually went to war with the USA + 16 of her allies during the Korean War. Simply because they came too close to the Yalu River, and as a result they were forced into the longest retreat in US military history.

That is the difference. We stand up for our interests, we don't fold instantly like you did in Ladakh just now.

LOL Jade, you really are clutching at straws. :lol:

Read your two posts above, you said we would extradite him back to America, but we didn't.

I'll say it again:

The difference between China and India, is that you folded at Chumar like a house of cards. Even though apparently we were 20 km inside Indian territory, India was the one who folded by demolishing all the bunkers we asked for, halting all infrastructure work, and stopping all troop patrols at Chumar.

Whereas in the case of China, we actually went to war with the USA + 16 of her allies during the Korean War. Simply because they came too close to the Yalu River, and as a result they were forced into the longest retreat in US military history.

That is the difference. We stand up for our interests, we don't fold instantly like you did in Ladakh just now.

Can you answer one question: Why is Snowden leaving China?

Can you answer one question: Why is Snowden leaving China?

Because he said right at the start that his final destination is Iceland.

We're giving him safe passage, exactly what I said we should do. Even though America formally charged him and issued an arrest warrant, we did not extradite him to America as you claimed we would do.

Like I said, you were simply projecting your own weakness into us, after the Chumar episode. But clearly you were wrong. We did not extradite him to America as you said we would. :D

Because he said right at the start that his final destination is Iceland.

We're giving him safe passage, exactly what I said we should do. Even though America formally charged him and issued an arrest warrant, we did not extradite him to America as you claimed we would do.

Like I said, you were simply projecting your own weakness into us, after the Chumar episode. But clearly you were wrong. We did not extradite him to America as you said we would. :D

he never intent to stay in china for the first place is that so hard for you to get? man you are such a simpleton

No. He is not in world tour mission. He is hiding from the world most powerful country and felt China as competitor to US would protect him. Lest did he know sissies Chinese are. I predicted that Chinese would not stand up to US. How right I was

If China would have refused to extradite Snowden. Hell would have fallen on China. By sending Snowden to Russia, China escaped US persecution

Snowden says he will fight any extradition from Hong Kong - report ? RT News

Latest news

It seems he didn't fly to Russia, but to Venezuela.

http://www.voanews.com/content/report-nsa-leaker-to-fly-to-venezuela-after-leaving-hk/1687497.html

Back
Top Bottom