What's new

DRDO's HSTDV ground test

Railway track is a way to enforce a controlled (linear) test.

The rockets give the short high impulse burn to achieve the mach 5+ speeds of interest.

At the speed of interest, fairings are separated and data collected from the instrumentation behind say the inlet geometry being tested.

You can also do impact tests, ejection tests etc etc anything where you need final step validation after the iterative steps using a wind tunnel/CAD.

The Holloman rocket sled track is probably one of the most well known:

But can't you use to wind tunnels? They may even be able to produce sustained high speeds.

I still have hard time believing that you can achieve Mach 5 on a rail track.

And what about simulation? CFD simulations are getting better all the time.

But can't you use to wind tunnels? They may even be able to produce sustained high speeds.

Each level of the process has its niche role. That's why i mentioned wind tunnel and CAD (CFD as you correctly mention in this case) in my previous reply.

CFD simulations will definitely have the bulk of the design RnD esp for the initial iterations.

Then the validation of that eventually will require a wind tunnel (ideally)...and hence why you have that as part of the program too. The results of the wind tunnel (at sustained speed of interest) would then provide any correction factors + coefficients back to the CFD...and that is a cycle you go back and forth as needed.

For subsonic and transonic designs you can pretty much end here....but for supersonic and especially hypersonic designs, you do need to preferably further validate once more (before the final complete system test).

This is because of the nature of supersonic and hypersonic regime regarding acceleration through it. It is highly non-linear (with non-linear cascading which makes things even harder to model in CFD and wind tunnel) depending on the geometries in question. This is part of the reason why scramjet technology is nowhere near proven today.

That's where rocket sleds come in, they can not only create the speed of interest (in this case mach > 5), they can also accelerate/decelerate through that regime with much better resolution than a hypersonic wind tunnel.

With a wind tunnel, you essentially have a large enough, powerful enough fan and various tube/tunnel geometries at your disposal to create the testing conditions. It is impossible to create the accelerations to induce the non-linear effects associated with supersonic and hypersonic regimes....because the energy is commited to moving a large (compressible) mass of air, and to get that air to accelerate at any great clip is not economically feasible with the technology and energy transfer intensity we currently have.

Thus its much easier to accelerate the body (by way of rocket sled) for the final validation given its much lower mass.

There are shock tunnels and tubes too (which are a bit different to all I have discussed here), but again they have trade - offs esp with their time of operation (to generate more sustained phenomenon).

So in the end having a rocket sled is very valuable as it would save having to launch the system with a real rocket (or rocket mounted to aircraft etc) each time (and go through all that time and expense) to validate things that can be done on the ground much more cheaply and frequently (and leave as little margin of unknown for the final altitude system testing).

Each level of the process has its niche role. That's why i mentioned wind tunnel and CAD (CFD as you correctly mention in this case) in my previous reply.

CFD simulations will definitely have the bulk of the design RnD esp for the initial iterations.

Then the validation of that eventually will require a wind tunnel (ideally)...and hence why you have that as part of the program too. The results of the wind tunnel (at sustained speed of interest) would then provide any correction factors + coefficients back to the CFD...and that is a cycle you go back and forth as needed.

For subsonic and transonic designs you can pretty much end here....but for supersonic and especially hypersonic designs, you do need to preferably further validate once more (before the final complete system test).

This is because of the nature of supersonic and hypersonic regime regarding acceleration through it. It is highly non-linear (with non-linear cascading which makes things even harder to model in CFD and wind tunnel) depending on the geometries in question. This is part of the reason why scramjet technology is nowhere near proven today.

That's where rocket sleds come in, they can not only create the speed of interest (in this case mach > 5), they can also accelerate/decelerate through that regime with much better resolution than a hypersonic wind tunnel.

With a wind tunnel, you essentially have a large enough, powerful enough fan and various tube/tunnel geometries at your disposal to create the testing conditions. It is impossible to create the accelerations to induce the non-linear effects associated with supersonic and hypersonic regimes....because the energy is commited to moving a large (compressible) mass of air, and to get that air to accelerate at any great clip is not economically feasible with the technology and energy transfer intensity we currently have.

Thus its much easier to accelerate the body (by way of rocket sled) for the final validation given its much lower mass.

There are shock tunnels and tubes too (which are a bit different to all I have discussed here), but again they have trade - offs esp with their time of operation (to generate more sustained phenomenon).

So in the end having a rocket sled is very valuable as it would save having to launch the system with a real rocket (or rocket mounted to aircraft etc) each time (and go through all that time and expense) to validate things that can be done on the ground much more cheaply and frequently (and leave as little margin of unknown for the final altitude system testing).

A great reply. Also I read up on this and it appears that the speed record for the rocket sled is 8.5 Mach!

A great reply. Also I read up on this and it appears that the speed record for the rocket sled is 8.5 Mach!

Do you have any idea of chinas rocket sled?

I was able to find decent information about india but not China. Since a major American military facility is called China Lake, which has its own rocket sled, that is the only thing that appears on search.

Yah well after all a rocket is pretty simple conceptually. You find the most violent chemical reactions possible that can still be controlled in a fashion (with the materials and geometries you have) and direct said reaction linearly hehe. This creates some phenomenal acceleration (and thus top speed) possibilities....

The next step with rocket sleds is to have zero rail contact through magnetic levitation. This prevents a lot of the friction (with rail) and induced vibrations by the conventional rocket sled. So I bet the Mach 8.5 record will be broken at some point by one of these systems....since at that point you are literally only restricted by length of the track, induced drag and possibly ground buffeting pressure from the shock cone (which you would have to counter by the magnet strength).

Do you have any idea of chinas rocket sled?

No idea. I actually didn't know India was going for one to be honest till this thread got posted. It was just hinted earlier that there would be "ground tests" but I always assumed that to be some kind of shock tube test.

I only know of a few American facilities, a cpl russian facilities and a british one. The British one (Qinetiq) I actually sent a design to for impact testing validation...must be 6 years ago now.

Don't quote trolls please. Just report and move on.

they must have used drdo's Rail Track Rocket Sled facility in chandigarh to test this

24TH-RAILTRACK_1911398f.jpg

The Rail Track Rocket Sled facility recently inaugurated at the Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory in Chandigarh. Photo: DRDO

DRDO’s Rail Track Rocket Sled in Chandigarh can be used to test aerospace technologies

A new facility on which missile warheads can be propelled at supersonic speeds has been inaugurated at the Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory (TBRL), Chandigarh.

The Rail Track Rocket Sled (RTRS) Penta Rail Supersonic Track comprises five precision-aligned rails, each four-km long; specially designed rocket motors; aerodynamic sleds; and advanced instrumentation. It allows the simulation of interception of a missile coming in at a supersonic speed.

It can also be used for simulating the velocities encountered during the re-entry of crew capsules to be used in India’s manned missions to space and the parachutes that will be deployed to bring back the Indian astronauts safely to earth. The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has built the facility at the Chandigarh laboratory.

Avinash Chander, Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister, who inaugurated the facility on May 12, called it “a unique facility which allows you to test many situations on the ground for which you have to otherwise use missiles, launch vehicles and aircraft.”

Captive flight testing

A velocity of Mach 3 could be achieved on the ground with this facility. “The tracks will enable aerospace components to be tested on the ground at supersonic speeds, said Mr. Chander, who is also the DRDO Director-General.

Ravi Gupta, DRDO spokesman, said the facility allowed the country “to do captive flight testing.” Several DRDO laboratories, the Indian Space Research Organisation and the Department of Atomic Energy would benefit from it, he added.

The system consists of five rails called Penta Rail Supersonic Track. Each rail has a sled, which has a specially designed rocket fitted into it. When the rocket is fired, the sled with the payload is propelled at a very high velocity on the rail track. The tracks are precision-aligned and are capable of withstanding heavy loads travelling at supersonic speeds.

Mr. Chander said the DRDO had started using the facility by firing the radio proximity fuse of its air-to-air Astra missile on May 12. The performance of the proximity fuse of the interceptor missiles can be evaluated using this system.

“In the case of interceptor missiles, you can use two parallel tracks and you can fire two missile warheads in opposite directions. They cross each other at a very high velocity and their performance can be measured,” he explained.

Manjit Singh, Director, TBRL, said the capability acquired from using the facility would accelerate the pace of development of defence and aerospace technologies.

Four-km long tracks were needed to achieve supersonic velocities, Mr. Gupta said. The system is equipped with instruments to measure the velocities achieved by the warheads; high-speed video and still cameras to record the events, solid state recorders, on-board telemetry system and other equipment to record the data. The system allows the recovery of the tested items for post-test analysis, Mr. Gupta added.

Warheads at supersonic speeds, on the ground - The Hindu

Last edited:
they must have used drdo's Rail Track Rocket Sled in chandigarh facility to test this

24TH-RAILTRACK_1911398f.jpg

The Rail Track Rocket Sled facility recently inaugurated at the Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory in Chandigarh. Photo: DRDO

DRDO’s Rail Track Rocket Sled in Chandigarh can be used to test aerospace technologies

A new facility on which missile warheads can be propelled at supersonic speeds has been inaugurated at the Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory (TBRL), Chandigarh.

The Rail Track Rocket Sled (RTRS) Penta Rail Supersonic Track comprises five precision-aligned rails, each four-km long; specially designed rocket motors; aerodynamic sleds; and advanced instrumentation. It allows the simulation of interception of a missile coming in at a supersonic speed.

It can also be used for simulating the velocities encountered during the re-entry of crew capsules to be used in India’s manned missions to space and the parachutes that will be deployed to bring back the Indian astronauts safely to earth. The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has built the facility at the Chandigarh laboratory.

Avinash Chander, Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister, who inaugurated the facility on May 12, called it “a unique facility which allows you to test many situations on the ground for which you have to otherwise use missiles, launch vehicles and aircraft.”

Captive flight testing

A velocity of Mach 3 could be achieved on the ground with this facility. “The tracks will enable aerospace components to be tested on the ground at supersonic speeds, said Mr. Chander, who is also the DRDO Director-General.

Ravi Gupta, DRDO spokesman, said the facility allowed the country “to do captive flight testing.” Several DRDO laboratories, the Indian Space Research Organisation and the Department of Atomic Energy would benefit from it, he added.

The system consists of five rails called Penta Rail Supersonic Track. Each rail has a sled, which has a specially designed rocket fitted into it. When the rocket is fired, the sled with the payload is propelled at a very high velocity on the rail track. The tracks are precision-aligned and are capable of withstanding heavy loads travelling at supersonic speeds.

Mr. Chander said the DRDO had started using the facility by firing the radio proximity fuse of its air-to-air Astra missile on May 12. The performance of the proximity fuse of the interceptor missiles can be evaluated using this system.

“In the case of interceptor missiles, you can use two parallel tracks and you can fire two missile warheads in opposite directions. They cross each other at a very high velocity and their performance can be measured,” he explained.

Manjit Singh, Director, TBRL, said the capability acquired from using the facility would accelerate the pace of development of defence and aerospace technologies.

Four-km long tracks were needed to achieve supersonic velocities, Mr. Gupta said. The system is equipped with instruments to measure the velocities achieved by the warheads; high-speed video and still cameras to record the events, solid state recorders, on-board telemetry system and other equipment to record the data. The system allows the recovery of the tested items for post-test analysis, Mr. Gupta added.

Warheads at supersonic speeds, on the ground - The Hindu

Oh ok so its not a very recent facility and has heritage already for few other systems.

It says Mach 3 is the highest speed possible when it was opened then. Has it been upgraded since?

Oh ok so its not a very recent facility and has heritage already for few other systems.

It says Mach 3 is the highest speed possible when it was opened then. Has it been upgraded since?

I am not sure but as far as I can remember It started in sometime around in 2014.

Last edited:

so this means India has capability to produce railway tracks for bullet trains too..

By the way.. this was deadly...

surely giving Goosebumps to neighbours. :P

Everything happened during congress tenure.

Lol congis have been decimated 3 years ago, wake up buddy, and you wanna correct the flag you are using in your profile for i know you can be anything but an Indian :D

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom