What's new

DRDO testfires quick reaction missile off Odisha coast

MimophantSlayer

Reaction score
Country
India
DRDO testfires quick reaction missile off Odisha coast

The test was aimed at validating various parameters, including propulsion performance of the weapon system and its killing capability.

Published: 10th October 2018 10:43 AM | Last Updated: 10th October 2018 10:43 AM | A+A A-
DRDO.jpg
By Express News Service
BHUBANESWAR: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) test-fired short range Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM) from a test facility off Odisha coast.

Sources said the sleek and highly mobile air defence system was fired from a canister mounted on a rotatable truck-based launch unit from Integrated Test Range (ITR) on Monday.

“The test was aimed at validating various parameters, including propulsion performance of the weapon system and its killing capability. Data generated during the test are being analysed,” said a defence official.
The missile, which can destroy multiple targets at a distance of 15 km, will supplement the medium range surface-to-air missile Akash capable of hitting targets 30 km away. Radars, electro optical systems, telemetry systems and other tracking stations have tracked the trajectory of the weapon and monitored all the parameters.

The state-of-the-art missile developed by the Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) can be used as an anti-sea skimmer from a ship against low flying attacking missiles. It employs dual thrust propulsion stage using high-energy solid propellant. Its electronic counter measures helps to outsmart aircraft jammers.

“As the missile has multi-role capability and can attain high frequency with maneuverability, it will provide considerable advantage to the Armed Forces. With cent per cent kill probability it can destroy aerial targets like fighter jets, cruise missiles and air-to-surface missiles as well as short range ballistic missiles,” the official added.

The missile, which is yet to get a formal name, is a new development of DRDO. It has to undergo several rounds of experimental trials before being inducted in the Armed Forces.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...eaction-missile-off-odisha-coast-1883553.html

MANPAD's, Tungushka's, QRSAM, Akash, Spyder, S400!! Anything I missed?

If DRDO fired it then it must be a DSRM(damn slow reaction missile)
Yeah what can they do ,they don't run cement factory or run taxi unlike some other army in the region
What about the taxi?

MANPAD's, Tungushka's, QRSAM, Akash, Spyder, S400!! Anything I missed?

A lot...

NASAM-II (if approved by US Congress)
Barak-1/Barak -8
Stinger
S-300
Strella1/Strella10
Buk
Pechora
Osa
PAD
AAD

Add to that...

Bofors 40mm AA Guns
ZSU-23-4 Shilka

I too may have missed a lot due to my limited knowledge. India has brought at least one product from every Russian SAM manufacturer.

And Pakistanis here are fantasizing of taking down Indian AD using swarm drones.

I've never heard about S300 in service!

Though there are no clear proofs, due to amount of secrecy involved, but its widely believed in defense circles that India did buy Six batteries of S-300PMU in the early 2000s, which was later upgraded to S-300VM standards. The upgraded system is supposed to have anti-SRBM/MRBM capabilities with a supposed range of 250Kms. The rumored deployment is around Mumbai and New Delhi, now to be taken over with PAD/AAD.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom