What's new

Donald Trump signs Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act into law, brushing off China’s warnings

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
US President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed into law legislation that could bring diplomatic action and economic sanctions against Hong Kong, brushing off multiple warnings by China against such a move.

“The Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act reaffirms and amends the United States-Hong Kong Policy Act of 1992, specifies United States policy towards Hong Kong and directs assessment of the political developments in Hong Kong,” the White House said in a statement. “Certain provisions of the act would interfere with the exercise of the president's constitutional authority to state the foreign policy of the United States.”

The legislation has provoked a backlash from the Chinese government, which on Monday summoned US ambassador to China Terry Branstad to warn that Congress’ passage of the legislation last week constituted “meddling” in the country’s internal affairs and would result in “consequences”.

Trump also signed into law the PROTECT Hong Kong act, which will prohibit the sale of US-made munitions such as tear gas and rubber bullets to the city’s authorities.

“I signed these bills out of respect for President Xi, China and the people of Hong Kong,” Trump said in a White House press release. “They are being enacted in the hope that Leaders and Representatives of China and Hong Kong will be able to amicably settle their differences leading to long term peace and prosperity for all.”

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...igns-hong-kong-human-rights-and-democracy-act

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-27_18-40-37.png
    upload_2019-11-27_18-40-37.png
    73 bytes · Views: 709
have fun!
US President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed into law legislation that could bring diplomatic action and economic sanctions against Hong Kong, brushing off multiple warnings by China against such a move.

“The Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act reaffirms and amends the United States-Hong Kong Policy Act of 1992, specifies United States policy towards Hong Kong and directs assessment of the political developments in Hong Kong,” the White House said in a statement. “Certain provisions of the act would interfere with the exercise of the president's constitutional authority to state the foreign policy of the United States.”

The legislation has provoked a backlash from the Chinese government, which on Monday summoned US ambassador to China Terry Branstad to warn that Congress’ passage of the legislation last week constituted “meddling” in the country’s internal affairs and would result in “consequences”.

Trump also signed into law the PROTECT Hong Kong act, which will prohibit the sale of US-made munitions such as tear gas and rubber bullets to the city’s authorities.

“I signed these bills out of respect for President Xi, China and the people of Hong Kong,” Trump said in a White House press release. “They are being enacted in the hope that Leaders and Representatives of China and Hong Kong will be able to amicably settle their differences leading to long term peace and prosperity for all.”

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...igns-hong-kong-human-rights-and-democracy-act

o_O If you are peaceful, you would not be arrested anyway.

The bill also says the US should allow Hong Kong residents to obtain US visas if they have been arrested for being part of non-violent protests.

I think that is what USA wants in the first place.

It's just unethical if USA just passing the economy sanction without reason.

It was USA who started the chaos and it's USA who then passing the punishing law.

So much drama.

I think that is what USA wants in the first place.

It's just unethical if USA just passing the economy sanction without reason.

It was USA who started the chaos and it's USA who then passing the punishing law.

So much drama.
Err. More unintended consequences.
By passing this law, all violent protest has stopped. This is what China and Hong Kong government wants.

All those protesters arrested for destroying property, beating people and throwing petrol bomb will not get a US Visa.
They will probably not be able to go to mainland China either. Their careers are gone.

Now you know why those rioters trapped inside the Polytechnic U does not want to come out and be arrested.

Last edited:
All those protesters arrested for destroying property, beating people and throwing petrol bomb will not get a US Visa.
Really? This law has restriction on the rioters? Why I didn't see this part?
I believe those arrested rioters have lost their chance of entering Mainland China and getting hired by Chinese companies for their rest lives. That's for real.

And? What so?

Nice human rights they are another agency working for US they only sees where its benefiting usa why cudnt they stop rohangiya or keeping its blind eye on KASHMIR.. what a hypocrasy cry out louder cuz no one is buying your crocodiles teras B=£$&.

Human rights are only suitable where it serves "Their" interests. Kashmir does not have humans right?

Really? This law has restriction on the rioters? Why I didn't see this part?
I believe those arrested rioters have lost their chance of entering Mainland China and getting hired by Chinese companies for their rest lives. That's for real.

It only mention Visa for non violent arrest.
Under Section 206.

“(c) Cooperation With Like-Minded Countries.—The Secretary of State shall contact appropriate representatives of other democratic countries, particularly those who receive a large number of applicants for student and employment visas from Hong Kong—

“(1) to inform them of the United States policy regarding arrests for participation in nonviolent protests in Hong Kong; and

“(2) to encourage them to take similar steps to ensure the rights of nonviolent protesters are protected from discrimination due to the actions of the Government of Hong Kong and of the Government of the People’s Republic of China.”.

o_O If you are peaceful, you would not be arrested anyway.

The bill also says the US should allow Hong Kong residents to obtain US visas if they have been arrested for being part of non-violent protests.
Thank God, let those "peaceful protestors" go.

I think since the first beginning they claim and reported as peaceful non-violent protesters.

Lol

It's just their brutality is already wide-spread exposed on the internet.

I wonder what USA government takes aside for this case.

But what mainstream media reported is what usually USA government opinion about the event.

From what I know, they reported as a peaceful non-violent protest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom