What's new

Divided by a common language

Nahraf

Reaction score
My friends in Canada from Hong Kong speaking Cantonese had to attend classes to learn Mandarin. May be these two dialect are similar to Urdu and Punjabi which are close yet distinct.

Language in China: Divided by a (not really) common language | The Economist
Divided by a (not really) common language
Aug 2nd 2010, 14:55 by R.L.G. | NEW YORK

000_Hkg3881301-1.jpg

THE first reports of protests on behalf of the Cantonese language in China that I saw, about two weeks ago, I dismissed. Language has signally failed to become a major issue in China. This is despite the fact that the country is—it needs to be said again and again until people stop referring to "dialects"—hugely mutlilingual. Mandarin Chinese is a language, and so is Yue (Cantonese), so is Wu (Shanghaiese) and so are the others (Hakka, Northern and Southern Min, etc.) Speakers of two of these various languages simply can't have a proper conversation with each other in their home languages. (There are, of course, dialects of Mandarin, Yue and so forth, and these are by and large mutually comprehensible.)

Mandarin complicates this picture because it is the biggest, it is learned in schools around the country, is the official language, and is the basis of the writing system. The writing system is not a pan-dialectal written form that ties all varieties of Chinese together, as many believe. The character 我 is pronounced wǒ in Mandarin, ngóh in Cantonese/Yue, góa in Taiwanese, ngú in Shanghainese, ǎ in Gan, and so on; it means "I" in all those languages. But this doesn't mean written Chinese is pan-dialectal. To write Cantonese so it can properly be read out and accepted as real Cantonese requires different character order, special characters, sometimes Roman letters, and quite a bit of ingenuity, since it there is no standard way of doing so (though more Cantonese are trying).

Meanwhile many Chinese really do believe that they speak dialects of a single thing called Chinese, which they all write the same way—even if, to use a European analogy, the Chinese language family resembles not British vs. American vs. Irish English, but something more like English vs. Frisian vs. German. And they persist in believing in their linguistic unity probably because the Chinese really do see themselves as part of a single Han people. (This does not include non-Han minorities like Tibetans and Uighurs, and speakers of Miao-Yiao and so forth in the south.) Language has rarely disturbed national unity, as it has in so many places, whether Spain or Turkey or Belgium. So when I saw the second report (video) of such protests—admittedly small—in the past few weeks, I took note. Language policy (and language resentment) has been the dog that hasn't barked in China. Now it has barked meekly—twice. Both protests have been quite small. But this situation should be an interesting one to keep an eye on.

China has so many dialets, easily hundreds of different versions. Putonghua (common language),aka Mandarin, is the teaching media in schools and universities and is a way where one Chinese from one province communicate with each other.

I don't know the exact reason for the out-burst of protest by Cantonese speakers, possibly some high official trying to prevent use of Cantonese in official functions,

Cantonese is only one of three major dialet in Guangdong province, the other major dialets are Hakka and Chaozhou (or Tiochew). And if you personally come to Guangdong you will find that almost every town in Guangdong has its own sub-dialets, some are even non-comprehensible to people of another town. Example, Jiangmen, Dongguan, Shajing, Beihai towns.

Cantonese used by People in Hong Kong is also known as Yue or "Bai Hua". It is a "common language" to people of Guangdong as Putonghua (Mandarin) is the common language to all Chinese. I think the people protest because they are proud of the localized "common language" and also the fact that many local government officials can not speak fluent Mandarins.

China has so many dialets, easily hundreds of different versions. Putonghua (common language),aka Mandarin, is the teaching media in schools and universities and is a way where one Chinese from one province communicate with each other.

I don't know the exact reason for the out-burst of protest by Cantonese speakers, possibly some high official trying to prevent use of Cantonese in official functions,

Cantonese is only one of three major dialet in Guangdong province, the other major dialets are Hakka and Chaozhou (or Tiochew). And if you personally come to Guangdong you will find that almost every town in Guangdong has its own sub-dialets, some are even non-comprehensible to people of another town. Example, Jiangmen, Dongguan, Shajing, Beihai towns.

Cantonese used by People in Hong Kong is also known as Yue or "Bai Hua". It is a "common language" to people of Guangdong as Putonghua (Mandarin) is the common language to all Chinese. I think the people protest because they are proud of the localized "common language" and also the fact that many local government officials can not speak fluent Mandarins.
In sometime between 1910's and 1920's Cantonese only lost to Mandarin to become the national language by few votes in the national assembly.

Yue Chinese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

agreed with above. no offense to cantonese speakers.

the writer of this article doesn't know anything about chinese.

Cantonese is harder to learn for foreigners than Putonghua which contains less tones. So that's a big plus as the official language.

The Chinese government is putting on a Chinese culture blitz here in the west by offering free trained Chinese teachers to any learning institution that requires them.

??????

I'm from Hong Kong so my native dialect is Cantonese.

But I have been working very hard to learn Mandarin too, using Rosetta stone software. I work in the field of Business, so it is very useful to learn Putonghua.

Mandarin is the Chinese language of the future, I think most of us know this. :cheers:

Personally I find that mandarin sounds alot better than cantonese.

Even though my native dialect is Cantonese, I have to agree.

Mandarin is after all the "language of the Mandarins (officials/scholars)" so it sounds more pleasant than Cantonese.

Min Nan hua is popular in Taiwan and Fujian but I still find Mandarin to sound better. But I don't really like the Beijing dialect with the tongue curling thing.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's possible an intensified historical-phonetics research project could resurrect Middle Chinese then we can make that the national language.

When is middle chinese spoken? Because i think you may be able to work back using the poems and songs made by ancient people and see how well they 'rhyme' to see if sounds of the words have changed.

I also prefer using Mandarin...
but somehow, i think old ancient poetry eg:Tang poetry, sound much better with Cantonese...
With Mandarin, just don't sounds right

Chinese Language is very hard - The characters are weird. Too hard to learn.

My native dialect is Shanghainese, but it doesn't matter to me if people want to speak Madarin or Shanghainese in my hometown.

I also prefer using Mandarin...
but somehow, i think old ancient poetry eg:Tang poetry, sound much better with Cantonese...
With Mandarin, just don't sounds right

Same here, I prefer the sound of Mandarin.

Cantonese is a "hard" language, like Japanese or German... whereas Mandarin sounds more formal and intellectual.

Mandarin is spoken like it is written... unlike Hong Kong Cantonese which uses a lot of "slang" expressions that don't translate into written form.

However I prefer the look of "Traditional Chinese characters"... I think the Traditional characters are very important in "cultural" terms since all the old works of literature were written in Traditional characters.

Back
Top Bottom