What's new

Diplomats who commit crimes shouldn’t get a free pass

Well then as a diplomat I believe it should be your job to learn the laws why are you given an extra boost of security, housing, comforts and everything and are expected to bring a good image yet you refuse to learn the law of the state you are in? That is obnoxious behaviour, such creatures should not be diplomats...why are all the laws only for the normal people on whose taxes these diplomats run?

I thought that would be your next step as for different laws

It should be open for debate...you are sending a diplomat = representative of your country

They should at least learn the laws of the country they will spend 3-5 yrs in...because of this dip immunity they dont bother and think of themselves as above the law and hence all these cases of crap!

Bibi it doesn't work that way. The diplomatic immunity is there in the first place because things won't work otherwise. Not only the laws but the way a convicted person gets treated is also vastly different in many countries. I'm not even talking about the difference in the sentence or the length of time they have to spend in jail. Go see the conditions of the jails in Norway and compare them with India/Pakistan. If Diplomatic immunity is revoked then many countries would close down their embassies/consulates in many other countries. As I said before, the only way this might work if there is a uniform set of laws for diplomats which are recognized globally and they are treated under that.

Bibi it doesn't work that way. The diplomatic immunity is there in the first place because things won't work otherwise.
have they tried it "otherwise"?
Not only the laws but also the way a convicted person gets treated is also vastly different in many countries.
well then stay out of crimes...we dont want criminals as diplomats (bad for the host country as well as the sending country - which ends up tarnishing its name)
I'm not even talking about the difference in the sentence or the length of time they have to spend in jail. Go see the conditions of the jails in Norway and compare them with India/Pakistan.
Like I said dont make a criminal a diplomat

If Diplomatic immunity is revoked then many countries would close down their embassies/consulates in many other countries.
Why? because they are too lazy to adhere to laws which "normal" people whose money they are using to stay have to learn? or do they automatically see themselves as super star?

As I said before, the only way this would work if there is a uniform set of laws for diplomats which are recognized and they are treated under that.
It is not the only way...everyone can travel be he/she from Africa or from China each and every person can go to EU/ USA/ Oz with a visa and they have a set of laws ...so why are "diplomats" given the red carpet? I can understand army people because they have state secrets but one who sits in an air-conditioned office and fills papers or goes to meetings and drinks lots of coffee? If such a person cant keep his hands clean he shouldnt be fit as a diplomat...

You see this diplomatic immunity is a ticket to go abroad and plant crap and hence cause chaos in the host country...this immunity is also how some embassies get to do drug and weapon deals....and then walk away without a scratch...

I know @jaunty you are talking about what is happening...I am questioning why it is happening why is it allowed?

Duuhhh they are going with state's money...its not supposed to be a honeymoon....they knew that when they became a diplomat...

If the post was an open one, no one would end up in poor nations...or war torn nations because of shear security risks...I dont mind them getting extra security but a "free pass" gives them freedom to do anything and get away with anything...
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
Then USA should not cry, over removed barricades in New Delhi,or your Ambassador cancelling her trip to Nepal cos she would be treated as a normal folk according to USA rules eh?;)

Then USA should not cry, over removed barricades in New Delhi,or your Ambassador cancelling her trip to Nepal cos she would be treated as a normal folk according to USA rules eh?;)
I beg your pardon?

have they tried it "otherwise"?

The concept of diplomatic immunity is very old. Countries followed it even before the formal laws came into place. Anyway the current code was accepted in 1961 Vienna Convention, so it's been more than 50 years and the same is going to continue, and for a good reason.

well then stay out of crimes...we dont want criminals as diplomats (bad for the host country as well as the sending country - which ends up tarnishing its name)

You still have that option. You can declare a diplomat persona non grata and expel him from the country if he commits any crime. You just cannot try him for that.

Like I said dont make a criminal a diplomat
I can assure you that no country would make a criminal their diplomat :lol:. It's different from a diplomat committing a crime.

Why? because they are too lazy to adhere to laws which "normal" people whose money they are using to stay have to learn? or do they automatically see themselves as super star?

They are not superstars. The countries just want to protect their diplomats.

everyone can travel be he/she from Africa or from China each and every person can go to EU/ USA/ Oz with a visa and they have a set of laws ...so why are "diplomats" given the red carpet?

There is a major difference, if you seek a visa you go to that country voluntarily, the diplomats don't.

The concept of diplomatic immunity is very old. Countries followed it even before the formal laws came into place. Anyway the current code was accepted in 1961 Vienna Convention, so it's been more than 50 years and the same is going to continue, and for a good reason.
Maybe its time to bring in new changes 50 yrs is old and alot has changed..

You still have that option. You can declare a diplomat persona non grata and expel him from the country if he commits any crime. You just cannot try him for that.
that is ridiculous...why not just try him if he is guilty? if he is innocent then he will walk away unscratched...

I can assure you that no country would make a criminal their diplomat :lol:. It's different from a diplomat committing a crime.
well killing is def a crime which USA was claiming diplomatic immunity for

They are not superstars. The countries just want to protect their diplomats.
That is a problem each should protect themselves by not being involved in illegal stuff...things are considered crimes because they are not good

There is a major difference, if you seek a visa you go to that country voluntarily, the diplomats don't.
but they voluntarily take the job in a hope to go for a vacation like job? Well they need to wake up not everything is sunny side up people have problems wake up and see them or just be a normal person and dont represent people will with hearts!

Maybe if you read what I wrote you would have seen clearly I am not the 1 with the US flags, instead of jumping in blind with your own anger...

Last edited:
that is ridiculous...why not just try him if he is guilty? if he is innocent then he will walk away unscratched...

I don't think you have understood the whole point of diplomatic immunity. Diplomatic immunity doesn't make anyone innocent if he commits a crime, it just gives him a safety net from the local laws. However his country of origin may decide to waive his immunity, then the person can be tried under the local laws. So it's not exactly a free pass to do anything he wants. Also if he commits a crime then he may get a free pass from the local laws and go back to his home country but his career would be pretty much over. Anyways I have to go now, I think I have made my point.

I don't think you have understood the whole point of diplomatic immunity. Diplomatic immunity doesn't make anyone innocent if he commits a crime, it just gives him a safety net from the local laws. However the country of origin may decide to waive his immunity, then the person can be tried under the local laws. So it's not exactly a free pass to do anything he wants. Also if he commits a crime then he may get a free pass from the local laws and go back to his home country but his career would be pretty much over. Anyways I have to go now, I think I have made my point.
Yes you have but the word may is disturbing coz it can turn to may not!

Adios!

Maybe its time to bring in new changes 50 yrs is old and alot has changed..

well killing is def a crime which USA was claiming diplomatic immunity for

That is a problem each should protect themselves by not being involved in illegal stuff...things are considered crimes because they are not good

but they voluntarily take the job in a hope to go for a vacation like job? Well they need to wake up not everything is sunny side up people have problems wake up and see them or just be a normal person and dont represent people will with hearts!

Maybe if you read what I wrote you would have seen clearly I am not the 1 with the US flags, instead of jumping in blind with your own anger...
I am not jumping,just trying to show India is not a pushover of usa or anyone else.They want good relations with us they better behave.

Back
Top Bottom