What's new

Dhruv helicopter crash-lands while rehearsing for air show

I reported this yesterday in the Aircraft crashes section.

New Delhi: An Advanced Light helicopter "Dhruv" of the Indian Air Force on Saturday crash-landed in Rajasthan's Jaisalmer district while rehearsing for the "Vayu Shakti" air power show to be held there on Sunday.
The helicopter was part of the Sarang Helicopter Display Team of the IAF and was rehearsing for tomorrow's air show, when the incident occurred, IAF officials said here.
"Both pilots are safe after they had to make a controlled crash-landing due to loss of power in the chopper," they added.
The IAF has ordered a Court of Inquiry to look into the reasons behind the incident, the officials said.
In 2005, the entire ALH Dhruv fleet had been grounded for several months after a similar incident in Andhra Pradesh and the subsequent probe had found a fault with the tail rotor blades of the choppers.
On whether the display team comprising four ALH Dhruvs will take part in the air show on Sunday, for which the President and the defence minister are also coming, they said, "Sarang's participation is not yet cancelled.

IAF's Dhruv helicopter crash-lands in Jaisalmer | Deccan Chronicle

Didn't want to open an other thread, but it so seems an Indian missile also landed off it's target.

HYDERABAD, February 25, 2010
Missile falls in civilian area in Chirala of Andhra Pradesh

The unexploded Surface to Air Missile (SAM) which fell in a civilian area in Chirala town of Prakasam district on Thursday night. The Pechora missile was test fired from an Indian Air Force Station in
Suryalanka in Andhra Pradesh.
A missile which could have been test fired by the Indian Air Force from its Suryalanka Air Force Station fell in a civilian area in the Chirala town of Prakasam district on Thursday night.

No one was injured as the missile did not explode.

The four-foot-long missile had four directional fins. It fell near the railway track adjacent to the compound of the Indian Leaf Tobacco Division (ILTD) of the ITC. The location where the missile fell is surrounded by houses.

Chirala circle inspector Ramakoteshwara Rao told The Hindu: “The diameter is as big as the steering of a jeep. We do not know whether it has got explosives, but it seemed to have burned. It’s very hot”, Mr. Rao said.

Police could only conjecture that the missile could have been fired from the Suryalanka station. There was no official confirmation from the Air Force authorities.

Keywords: Missile, Chirala, Suryalanka Air Force Station

The Hindu : News / National : Missile falls in civilian area in Chirala of Andhra Pradesh

thanks for posting the update Windjammer.

I was unaware of this incident.

p.s. send a few more of those not-to-be-disclosed-here jokes via PM ;)

It seems that people in this forum have knowledge of everything. If given a chance they will build F22. :bounce: All they need is the various sub systems, a few bolts and nuts.

Buying an engine from country X, buying avionics from country Y and design from another country is the story of Dhruv. Maybe , maybe not. My father works in HAL and is associated with the project. I know what it took to make the complete system FLY. Elaborate and detailed designs that suit various operational parameters to finite element analysis and system integration challenges, HAL was able to bring the concept to reality. It is no small achievement for a country that could not produce a competitive car engine two decades back. We as Indians are proud of Dhruv.

@ windjammer - nice try but its an old news.just stick to the current thread.

Care to elaborate that, instead of taking shots in the dark, you need to check the date in the link i posted.

Didn't want to open an other thread, but it so seems an Indian missile also landed off it's target.

HYDERABAD, February 25, 2010
Missile falls in civilian area in Chirala of Andhra Pradesh

The unexploded Surface to Air Missile (SAM) which fell in a civilian area in Chirala town of Prakasam district on Thursday night. The Pechora missile was test fired from an Indian Air Force Station in
Suryalanka in Andhra Pradesh.
A missile which could have been test fired by the Indian Air Force from its Suryalanka Air Force Station fell in a civilian area in the Chirala town of Prakasam district on Thursday night.

No one was injured as the missile did not explode.

The four-foot-long missile had four directional fins. It fell near the railway track adjacent to the compound of the Indian Leaf Tobacco Division (ILTD) of the ITC. The location where the missile fell is surrounded by houses.

Chirala circle inspector Ramakoteshwara Rao told The Hindu: “The diameter is as big as the steering of a jeep. We do not know whether it has got explosives, but it seemed to have burned. It’s very hot”, Mr. Rao said.

Police could only conjecture that the missile could have been fired from the Suryalanka station. There was no official confirmation from the Air Force authorities.

Keywords: Missile, Chirala, Suryalanka Air Force Station

The Hindu : News / National : Missile falls in civilian area in Chirala of Andhra Pradesh

d1d3739d27b88c5cd3f9ee827df462df.jpg

this is how it looks originally

76d3bdcaf0cce542be5e8500ca8c2b1e.jpg

There is so much to speculate for people who want to, how can you tell it landed off target? it is fired from the ground, its debris will hit the ground.

There is so much to speculate for people who want to, how can you tell it landed off target? it is fired from the ground, its debris will hit the ground.

Perhaps you should question the source of the article, if it was an ordinary day at the office, why did they carry the news.
Such weapons are usually fired away from residential or built up areas, since this landed in amidst a civilian area, one can all but assume that it malfunctioned.

Over a period of almost 60 or so years, if one thing we Pakistanis have learnt, and learnt really well is to make fun of others, Indians in particularly. We kept making fun of their Democracy, now they are far ahead in that; we kept making fun of their hunger, and poverty, now look at their economy; we kept making fun of their cowardice, they beated us fairly and squarely in 65, 71, and in Kargil wars.....

As a young student, I had the following words from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow framed and hanged in my study:

The heights by great men reached and kept
Were not attained by sudden flight,
But they, while their companions slept,
Were toiling upward in the night

Substitute the 'great men' with 'Indians', and 'companions' with 'Pakistanis', and you'll know what they achieved while we were sleeping the sleep of ignorance.

Over a period of almost 60 or so years, if one thing we Pakistanis have learnt, and learnt really well is to make fun of others, Indians in particularly. We kept making fun of their Democracy, now they are far ahead in that; we kept making fun of their hunger, and poverty, now look at their economy; we kept making fun of their cowardice, they beated us fairly and squarely in 65, 71, and in Kargil wars.....

As a young student, I had the following words from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow framed and hanged in my study:

The heights by great men reached and kept
Were not attained by sudden flight,
But they, while their companions slept,
Were toiling upward in the night

Substitute the 'great men' with 'Indians', and 'companions' with 'Pakistanis', and you'll know what they achieved while we were sleeping the sleep of ignorance.
Sir with all due respect, i too from the dusty corridors of my school day memory can recall my head teacher, Mr. Johnston always injecting us with the proverb, small things amuse little minds, in the cosy surroundings of my living room, merely a twitch of a button and another screen thrives with the substance of my childhood memories, and in any case if we resort to term our mother ugly then who is to disagree with us.!!! Just my derelict thoughts.

Just joining your noble discussion guys...

At my school entrance when we every morning touch the ground with respect there was a board which we can see having painted with few lines "Small minds think about people. Average minds think about things. Great minds think about ideas."
An Idea is a risk, an Idea is an Innovation which may fail.......

@ QURAASK you are most dangerous then other Pakistani members here ......;):lol::lol::D...
(complement from your competitor not enemy Indian)

Now that does not mean I am defending HAL/Dhruv

You have every reason to be proud of Dhruv and defend it as and when you deem fit!! There is nothing wrong with Dhruv!

Back to topic,

It would seem that the new Dhruv simulator (coming up at HAL) would ease up the burden of pilot training to some extent and enhance airframe life of these birds. They will also be valuable in teaching the pilots how to get through tough situations in the air. Let us hope for the best. :)

It seems to be a recurring thing. More often than not, aircraft crashes are caused due to pilot error, and considering the IAF's history, we can't rule that our completely. However, Dhruv's a relatively newer platform that's been getting into a lot of trouble. It seems to be building itself an unwelcome reputation. Let me assure you, Aerospace is not a business in which a crash landing or failure is taken lightly. The responsible people will definitely be feeling the heat right now, and this aircraft will be under a lot of scrutiny.

However, before we jump down the throats of our engineers, let's figure out why it went down in the first place.
Over a period of almost 60 or so years, if one thing we Pakistanis have learnt, and learnt really well is to make fun of others, Indians in particularly. We kept making fun of their Democracy, now they are far ahead in that; we kept making fun of their hunger, and poverty, now look at their economy; we kept making fun of their cowardice, they beated us fairly and squarely in 65, 71, and in Kargil wars.
I think the quality of members who thanked you or this post speaks for how great it was. Really, another thing we seemed to have learnt over the past 60 years is how to burn down our own home if you have a disagreement with your family, and then prop up our giant egos with the burnt timber.

I think the quality of members who thanked you or this post speaks for how great it was. Really, another thing we seemed to have learnt over the past 60 years is how to burn down our own home if you have a disagreement with your family, and then prop up our giant egos with the burnt timber.
I don't write to grab thanks; I write what I think is correct. The greatness of a post does not lie in who thanks it and who does not, it lies in its truthfulness and accuracy. You mentioned about the quality of members, what quality? Since when you started passing judgments on the quality of the members? What about the quality of those who post jingoistic posts and those who thank these type of posts?

Most of us, Pakistanis have a habit of finding pleasures in other's failures; we do this because we ourselves cant do those things, we are incompetent, and we are jealous. We are living in denial and complete ignorance is the path we have chosen, and when someone shows us a mirror, all of a sudden it becomes a national problem, it is considered burning your own home and what not.

As Allama Iqbal said:

Na samjhogay to mit jaa-ogay tum bhi aay Musalamaano
Tumhari dastaaN tak bhi na hogi dastanoN main

You watch, if we continued on the present path of ignorance, hamaari dastaN tak bhi na hogi dastanoN mein.

Back
Top Bottom