What's new

Despite of the virus, Chinese index is nearing its highest level vs SP500

Reaction score
Country
China
Among China’s equity trading community, triumphalism is taking root.

It’s not hard to see why. The Shanghai stock benchmark is the only global gauge of note to post gains in the past month, while others are succumbing to bear markets. Against the S&P 500 Index, the Chinese index is nearing its highest level in almost two years.

Fueling Chinese confidence is a sense that the country is gaining victory over the coronavirus that first spread in Wuhan. President Xi Jinping visited the city in the central Hubei province on Tuesday, a move widely read as a sign that the Communist Party believed the situation was under control. While officials first came under fire for their initial botched handling of the virus, the extreme steps that followed appear to have curbed its spread.

Contrast the top-down approach taken by Beijing with the perceived chaotic response in the U.S. and Europe, where new infections are rocketing. The movements of global equity markets are mirroring the growing panic overseas, with volatility spiking to levels not seen since the global financial crisis and U.S. equities plunging so fast they triggered circuit breakers.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mocking-u-bear-market-china-082714581.html

Not say that stock market is that important to China's economy since it is not (in China's case, property market is far more important), but since other memebers love to brag how super well their country is by showing off stock market index numbers, so this is the case.

China has passed the peak and government is efficient in dealing with the crisis. If I am investor, I will too, put money or bet on China.

China has passed the peak and government is efficient in dealing with the crisis. If I am investor, I will too, put money or bet on China.

Actually China's stock market rebound almost instantly, the big drop is a one-day (Feb 3rd) long event and then the long rally begins.

Back
Top Bottom