What's new

Desi Bofors gun passes the test

KS

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Desi Bofors gun passes the test - The Times of India

It is thumbs up finally to made in MP desi Bofors gun. The country cousin of the Swedish high caliber artillery gun has passed the final hurdle race in Proof and Experimental establishment (PXE) Balasore with flying colors on December 23.

The performance of the both updated prototypes has been just as expected, project director of the weapon development component and general manager Gun carriage factory GCF S P Yadav declared here. Amidst reports that GCF has already piped the rivals and bagged the Rs 6000 crore project, a jubilant Yadav said that, things were "in process", but declined to comment till he got the order in hands.

Both prototypes -155/45 caliber guns Yadav said have fulfilled all required parameters on the PXE testing orange. There were three successive field trials held in Balasore on December 19, 20 and 23 respectively at the technology intensive range, equipped to provide accurate ballistic measurements .and both specimen could hit 38-40 kilometers mark successfully in presence of Yadav his team and DG artillery lieutenant general Anjan Mukherji who represented Indian Army, along with the experts from defense research and development organization DRDO.

DRDO has compiled the data and analysis and we would shortly receive a copy the general manager said.

Though the initial internal trials held in May this year in Pokharan had yielded positive results the indigenous howitzer, developed by the GCF for final clearance had to pass two acid tests- at Itarasi and Balsore- before it could be handed over to Army. Taken first to the central proof establishment CPE Itarsi, it went through three day test on November 30 and December 5 and 6. However, at CPE, firing was confined to the arrester butt on zero degree elevation as against Balasore where we could go up to our maximum elevation of 70 degrees at every designed angle, Yadav said.

The prototypes have been, after the CPE firing, subjected to series of tests for assessing its structural strength. It was found that all components and assemblage could sustain the firing stress effortlessly without any damage. On its way back from Orissa, both guns would be dismantled to be examined part by part to once again to be doubly sure before being handed over to the Army next month.

A team of 125 personnel had been working on the project for last year and half to develop a, technically updated version of the Swedish 155/39 caliber gun which had a firing range between 27 and 29 kilometers. Though GCF Jabalpur had the lead role in the project it was duly assisted in the endeavor by other ten units including Kolkota, Muradnagar, Medhak, Ambernath and Dehradoon.

First step towards arty indigenization..:yahoo:

It would be great if they could come up with a 52 cal version too.

Let me be the first to thank you for the awesome news :)

calls for a toast

tlAiz.jpg

I got to know about this when I was in India. Army new all along that some of Arty requirements can be sourced from India, that is why they were not too much worried about Arty deals.

Great development... Dire need of arty... mass produce atleast 3000 units of this gun....

Awesome news... finally, finally, finally, we see a coordinated approach leading to small but sure successes...

Off to searching and developing indiginous ammunition now folks, instead of importing from South Africa (Iguess)

Chak de phatte............................... Bruahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:victory: :cheers: :guns:

I got to know about this when I was in India. Army new all along that some of Arty requirements can be sourced from India, that is why they were not too much worried about Arty deals.

Simply because of the arms lobbies and kickbacks they were getting from the companies. :coffee:. You can see that India can build Icbms, Nuclear subs, space rockets and can also conduct space reentry with sre1 and 2 but can't build a simple assualt riffle. Because we are paid not to do it.

Both prototypes -155/45 caliber guns Yadav said have fulfilled all required parameters on the PXE testing orange

Another reporting error - the gun is 155mm/39-cal, not 155mm/45-cal.

Nice to see it has upto 10 km greater range than the original Bofors, showns Indian R&D is present in
developing it.

Another reporting error - the gun is 155mm/39-cal, not 155mm/45-cal.

Nice to see it has upto 10 km greater range than the original Bofors, showns Indian R&D is present in
developing it.

No I think its indeed 45 cal - an upscaled version of the original 39 cal.

Amazing news. If they have the infrastructure and technology then there is nothing to worry. Order for replacements for current bofors while DRDO develops whole new one.

No I think its indeed 45 cal - an upscaled version of the original 39 cal.

Hmmm...so 1) upgunning the caliber from 39-cal to 45-cal and 2) increase range by 10km are the 2 most
visible differences between the original Swedish gun and the Indian version.

Hmmm...so 1) upgunning the caliber from 39-cal to 45-cal and 2) increase range by 10km are the 2 most
visible differences between the original Swedish gun and the Indian version.

In a nutshell yes...

awesome news ! now we need to induct these babies superfast , both towed and mounted ! wishes to O.P. for posting such an news !

Back
Top Bottom