What's new

DC comics pull batgirl cover.

senheiser

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
DC Comics Pulls Controversial Batgirl Cover - IGN

Joker causes trouble in the real world for a change.JESSE SCHEDEENDC Comics has announced they won't be publishing a controversial variant cover for Batgirl #41. The decision came after artist Rafael Albuquerque requested that the cover be removed.

The image in question was part of a series of 25 Joker-themed variant covers planned for DC's June comic lineup. These covers feature the Clown Prince of Crime butting heads with various DC heroes, generally in humorous ways. The Batgirl #41 cover, however, took a darker approach:

While certainly an effective image as far as portraying Joker as his scariest and most intimidating, the cover drew ire from many fans because of what is seen as a sexual undertone to Joker's treatment of Batgirl. That was exacerbated by the fact that Joker's outfit is a clear callback to the Killing Joke graphic novel, wherein he shot, humiliated and possibly (depending on one's interpretation of the story) sexually assaulted Barbara Gordon.

The cover was also criticized for going against the grain of Batgirl's current story direction. The series has taken on a more lighthearted tone under its new creative team (co-writers Cameron Steward and Brendan Fletcher and artist Babs Tarr), whereas this cover recalls the darker tone of Killing Joke and earlier New 52 stories. Stewart himself has been vocal on Twitter about his disapproval of the image.

Albuquerque released a statement about the move that made it clear it was his choice to pull the cover:

My Batgirl variant cover artwork was designed to pay homage to a comic that I really admire, and I know is a favorite of many readers. 'The Killing Joke' is part of Batgirl’s canon and artistically, I couldn't avoid portraying the traumatic relationship between Barbara Gordon and the Joker.

For me, it was just a creepy cover that brought up something from the character’s past that I was able to interpret artistically. But it has become clear, that for others, it touched a very important nerve. I respect these opinions and, despite whether the discussion is right or wrong, no opinion should be discredited.

My intention was never to hurt or upset anyone through my art. For that reason, I have recommended to DC that the variant cover be pulled. I'm incredibly pleased that DC Comics is listening to my concerns and will not be publishing the cover art in June as previously announced.

DC's own statement noted, "Regardless if fans like Rafael Albuquerque’s homage to Alan Moore’s The Killing Joke graphic novel from 25 years ago, or find it inconsistent with the current tonality of the Batgirl books - threats of violence and harassment are wrong and have no place in comics or society."

Stewart later tweeted, "Something to clarify, because DCs statement was a little unclear. @rafaalbuquerque did not get threats. People OBJECTING to the cover did."

It remains to be seen if a new Joker variant cover will be commissioned to replace this one.

Let us know your thoughts (politely and maturely, mind you) in the comments below.
globhead_dpad_red.png

With all the issues around us, feminists should be the least of our concern.

^^^ I concur.. However, I do think feminism has been hijacked by politically correct over the top cartoon characters.
To be honest, in feminism and other areas, the "politically correct" ideology is a disaster. It's only meant for some self-declared intellectuals to use few issues that are easier to be targeted as punching bags while at the same time, ignoring the main issues and even root causes. To solve an issue, you have to bring facts that are harder to be digested otherwise you are only fooling yourself. This ideology is not capable of solving any issue but it's mostly revolved around holding cardboards with meaningless messages that no one gives a damm about.

They must be stopped, otherwise political correctness and feminism will destroy this country!
Agree with political correctness but feminism IMO is not that much of an issue. Influence of feminism is very limited and only very few take them seriously while it is being ridiculed by the rest.

Agree with political correctness but feminism IMO is not that much of an issue. Influence of feminism is very limited and only very few take them seriously while it is being ridiculed by the rest.
Sorry I didn't see you post. Bro, radical feminists would do the same thing Nazis did to Jews, that's how they got their name. Unfortunately, mainstream media is supporting them, all these false rape allegations against men that have ruined people's have full support of these people. What our stance should be is that both side of the story must be heard and full investigations must be carried out before reaching any sort of conclusion that could have irreversible consequences on either party's life.

Feminazis are crazy. I speak from experience irl debates.

It already did back in 1980s. Divorce and family courts, mandatory arrests for allegations, getting expelled or convicted based on the word of a woman, mandatory sexual harassment training, etc. Nothing new.

Feminazis - they always complain, which is why good things disappear.

Funny thing though is that feminazis want women domination in all aspects... and if I remember it correctly, that there is a saying that "Women are always right/are never wrong"

So what happens if one doesn't agree?

240a15aacbdd53f7faaf417b58e1fc30.jpg

Oly crappers, feminazi-leaded society will bring more wars! :o:

Feminazis - they always complain, which is why good things disappear.

Funny thing though is that feminazis want women domination in all aspects... and if I remember it correctly, that there is a saying that "Women are always right/are never wrong"

So what happens if one doesn't agree?

240a15aacbdd53f7faaf417b58e1fc30.jpg

Oly crappers, feminazi-leaded society will bring more wars! :o:

Women are never wrong when they are dealing with weak pussy-whipped men who are easy to pet around by women. When dealing with me, they almost always end up conceding.

Women are never wrong when they are dealing with weak pussy-whipped men who are easy to pet around by women. When dealing with me, they almost always end up conceding.

You sound like a true family man, then. :D

Of coarse, making everything a social taboo makes it easier to control people due to their own unwillingness to do anything out of what is regulated as "allowed" or "normal".

Back
Top Bottom