What's new

Database of Afghan Ballistic Missile Attacks on Pakistan (1989 -1990)

AFGHAN ATTACK NO. 16
Wednesday November 28, 1990

Date: Wednesday November 28, 1990
Time: 15:40 Hours
Number of Missiles Fired: 2
Area Landed: Teri Mangal, Kurram Agency
Casulties: 11 Martyred (3 Afghan refugees), 15 injured

Official Pakistani Letter to United Nations
United Nations Letter Code: A/45/839
Letter Date: December 11, 1990
United Nations Documents: Documents - United Nations

16-01.jpg

16-02.jpg

United Nations Official Document (PDF)
http://disarmament2.un.org/Library....8d85257567006b80b5/$FILE/A-45-839-S-21994.pdf

Correct.

Even those opposed to Gen Zia in Kurram were pro-mujahideen for this very reason. The puppet government in Kabul regularly supported badmashi behaviour in Kurram.

In our village we have a Chinese made belt fed anti aircraft gun which damaged an enemy aircraft which intruded. I will have to get more info on the encounter.

Interesting thread.

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Salaam to all the Muslims,

View attachment 39245

Prelude

I came across this by accident while I was searching for something else in regards to the Soviet-Pakistan skirmishes on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border during the 1980s.

While I searched, all the sources pointed to Afghanistan launching SCUD-B ballistic missile attacks on Pakistan in 1988. It appeared to me that the generalisation of these attacks were misreported in the 1990s, which were then re-reported inaccurately in various news articles, books, magazines and on the internet for the past two decades.

After searching in various American news archives, I have found only two of the Afghan attacks as having been reported. However, the total number of actual attacks on Pakistan tallied up to 16 with at least 17 SCUD-B missiles landing in Pakistani territory.

Lack of reporting of these daring attacks by the Soviet-backed Afghan Government was due to the fact that the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan came to an end on February 15, 1989. At the very same time, war between Iran and Iraq also came to a close while the build up to the First Gulf War began in 1990. As a result of these factors Pakistan and Afghanistan were forgotten to most of the world and the Civil War in Afghanistan was never fully reported.

Alhamdu'lillah, after searching through the archives of the United Nations' documents section for many man hours, I have finally found all the reported incidents of these attacks.

This is the actual recorded evidence of this forgotten history and the fact that at one point, Afghanistan was armed with over 2,000 SCUD-B ballistic missiles while Pakistan desperately tried to launch its own ballistic missile program. This forced Pakistan's then Chief of the Army Staff General (retired) Mirza Aslam Beg to announce on Sunday February 5, 1989 that Pakistan had successfully carried out its own first two ballistic missile tests in the country.

The indiscriminate attacks by Afghans further forced the then Democratically Elected Prime Minister of Pakistan Benazir Bhutto to visit North Korea in December 1993 to seek missile technology. Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto is then reported to have said in an interview in China that Pakistan was forced to approach the North Koreans in order to protect her country against the ballistic missile attacks coming from Afghanistan.

All thanks is to Allah Aza'Wa-Jall for helping me collate this information. Any further input in regards to this would be most welcome.

Salaam to all the Muslims.
What is wrong with you misers!!! This guy deserves at least a couple of +ve ratings for such an excellent thread!!!

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Salaam to all the Muslims,

View attachment 39245

Prelude

I came across this by accident while I was searching for something else in regards to the Soviet-Pakistan skirmishes on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border during the 1980s.

While I searched, all the sources pointed to Afghanistan launching SCUD-B ballistic missile attacks on Pakistan in 1988. It appeared to me that the generalisation of these attacks were misreported in the 1990s, which were then re-reported inaccurately in various news articles, books, magazines and on the internet for the past two decades.

After searching in various American news archives, I have found only two of the Afghan attacks as having been reported. However, the total number of actual attacks on Pakistan tallied up to 16 with at least 17 SCUD-B missiles landing in Pakistani territory.

Lack of reporting of these daring attacks by the Soviet-backed Afghan Government was due to the fact that the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan came to an end on February 15, 1989. At the very same time, war between Iran and Iraq also came to a close while the build up to the First Gulf War began in 1990. As a result of these factors Pakistan and Afghanistan were forgotten to most of the world and the Civil War in Afghanistan was never fully reported.

Alhamdu'lillah, after searching through the archives of the United Nations' documents section for many man hours, I have finally found all the reported incidents of these attacks.

This is the actual recorded evidence of this forgotten history and the fact that at one point, Afghanistan was armed with over 2,000 SCUD-B ballistic missiles while Pakistan desperately tried to launch its own ballistic missile program. This forced Pakistan's then Chief of the Army Staff General (retired) Mirza Aslam Beg to announce on Sunday February 5, 1989 that Pakistan had successfully carried out its own first two ballistic missile tests in the country.

The indiscriminate attacks by Afghans further forced the then Democratically Elected Prime Minister of Pakistan Benazir Bhutto to visit North Korea in December 1993 to seek missile technology. Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto is then reported to have said in an interview in China that Pakistan was forced to approach the North Koreans in order to protect her country against the ballistic missile attacks coming from Afghanistan.

All thanks is to Allah Aza'Wa-Jall for helping me collate this information. Any further input in regards to this would be most welcome.

Salaam to all the Muslims.

It was given just about enough coverage. I have found news reports on it while doing my thesis research, and continue to find them now and then. Pakistani military and academic scholars have also written about these attacks with just about as much importance as it deserved. Only about a dozen or slightly more were launched on Pakistani tribal area. The real damages and casualties took place on the Afghan side where Scud-B missiles were launched on Kabul, Jalalabad, etc.

Aslam Beg's announcement of ballistic missile tests (Hatf-I and Hatf-II) in 1989 was largely a response to India's Prithvi test in 1988, not Afghan Scud-B. Pakistan did not buy missile technology from North Korea in response to Afghan missile attack either. The original Hatf-I and Hatf-II were highly rudimentary. In order to lay the foundations for a more advanced technical base for the indigenous missile programme, Pakistan acquired ballistic missile tech from both China and North Korea. By the time Pakistan reached out to China and North Korea, the Afghan War was winding down, and by the time Pakistan began developing advanced ballistic missiles the Soviets had withdrawn and no ballistic missile attacks from Afghanistan were taking place. The security rationale for Pakistan's missile programme is exclusively India.

they are lucky we are not like them. They have used the deadliest weapons in their disposal at us and we never went beyond artillery...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom