What's new

Dar suspends order aimed at tax evaders

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Apparently succumbing to pressure from powerful lobbies, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar has suspended the implementation of an order meant for recovery of tax from evaders.

Last week, the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) issued SRO 351, granting power of assessment and recovery to officials of the tax intelligence unit of the Inland Revenue Service (IRS), to unearth and recover the evaded tax from fraudsters.

“The FBR issued the SRO without my approval and was unfair in its spirit,” Finance Minister Dar told representatives of the chambers of trade and industry and exporters and importers, who were not happy with the grant of additional powers to tax officials.

These stakeholders were attending a Tax Advisory Council meeting headed by the minister to discuss proposals for the upcoming budget at the FBR headquarters here on Saturday.

Mr Dar added that all “discriminatory SROs” would be abolished within three years and all the stakeholders were working together in this regard, an official statement said.

In the past 10 months (July-April), the intelligence unit has unearthed cases involving tax evasion of Rs6 billion. These cases were referred to the regional tax offices and large taxpayers units (LTUs) for recovery from the evaders.

So far only Rs800 million has been recovered from evaders, reflecting poor compliance of the tax department.

It is because of the poor performance of the field formations that the FBR has granted the power of assessment and recovery to its intelligence unit, according to analysts.

They say that recent tax evasion cases instituted by the unit against mobile phone sellers, software vendors, property developers, etc have irked the powerful lobbies.

The new powers were granted to ensure that the cases initiated by the intelligence unit were brought to a conclusion and revenue was collected and deposited in the government exchequer quickly.

The tax intelligence unit was created in March, 2011, despite strong opposition from within and outside the tax department. So far the unit has unearthed major scams of tax evasion from textile tycoons, cricketers, media persons and business elites.

A tax official said the SRO in question was drafted in a period of two months because of strong opposition from some top officials of the IRS, who were not willing to delegate the powers to the tax intelligence unit.

Ironically, the power of lodging FIR against tax evaders and searching their premises is available under the existing laws. The additional power was for early recovery of tax from evaders.

According to the official statement, Mr Dar underlined the need for formulation of realistic proposals aimed at ensuring growth in revenue generation, enabling the government to allocate appropriate amounts for development work and social safety net.

Published in Dawn, May 18th, 2014

What a joke.....

pmln experience letting an accountant lead economic policy... hence the stupidities !

a born leader, indeed than a duffer like nawaz and his yahoo supporters? no thanks.

born leader!!
because he led the cricket team? well than how about Afridi for President, Misbah for Finance minister...bring in the whole team of born leaders from our cricket team.

born leader!!
because he led the cricket team? well than how about Afridi for President, Misbah for Finance minister...bring in the whole team of born leaders from our cricket team.

You are missing the point here. . Imran lead an inexperienced team to win a world cup for Pakistan. Afridi, Misbah could not. But that's not the point. Point is A leader is a leader be it of a cricket team or a country He/she has the capability to lead in difficult times and this is what leader is saying. You may disagree on him being fit for PM but you cant disagree on the fact that he delivered where the rest uptil now have failed.

You are missing the point here. . Imran lead an inexperienced team to win a world cup for Pakistan. Afridi, Misbah could not. But that's not the point. Point is A leader is a leader be it of a cricket team or a country He/she has the capability to lead in difficult times and this is what leader is saying. You may disagree on him being fit for PM but you cant disagree on the fact that he delivered where the rest uptil now have failed.

so he wants to collect the benefits of making a hospital?
so far thats the only thing he has delivered. If he was a leader type I would have been his supporter because I like him as person but he is not a leader, he is just a good honest man and honesty alone is not the solution of our problems. NS is a leader, he gets things done, he has a hold on his party, one can say he is a dictator but thats what we need in Pakistan our public doesnt work without danda in their you know where

so he wants to collect the benefits of making a hospital?
so far thats the only thing he has delivered. If he was a leader type I would have been his supporter because I like him as person but he is not a leader, he is just a good honest man and honesty alone is not the solution of our problems. NS is a leader, he gets things done, he has a hold on his party, one can say he is a dictator but thats what we need in Pakistan our public doesnt work without danda in their you know where

If you say Nawaz is a leader what can i say than. What exactly has nawaz delivered and where? I don't know about you but the leader has to be honest if you ever expect him to deliver. Honesty is not a solution but its a start towards the right direction. An honest leader will have the courage to accept and admit his mistakes and than rectify it . He will not hide behind excuses like Nawaz does "Huma khazna khali mila ha" "Hum Pakistan to aisa bana deta agar humeri hakumat na jati :lol:

If you say Nawaz is a leader what can i say than. What exactly has nawaz delivered and where? I don't know about you but the leader has to be honest if you ever expect him to deliver. Honesty is not a solution but its a start towards the right direction. An honest leader will have the courage to accept and admit his mistakes and than rectify it . He will not hide behind excuses like Nawaz does "Huma khazna khali mila ha" "Hum Pakistan to aisa bana deta agar humeri hakumat na jati :lol:

we are not here to convince each other, you points are noted

Back
Top Bottom