What's new

Dangerous Neighborhood

KashifAsrar

Reaction score
Dangerous Neighborhood
Hard questions about nukes, civil war and other sore topics for the presidents of two of the hottest spots in the Middle East.
By Lally Weymouth
Newsweek
Oct. 2, 2006 issue - Iran and Iraq go side by side, not only on maps but among America's most urgent challenges. As the U.N. General Assembly convened last week in New York, the two presidents talked separately to NEWSWEEK's Lally Weymouth. While Iraq's president is optimistic about his country's future, Iran's president remains intransigent in his refusal to halt nuclear-related activities as demanded by the United States as a precondition for talks. Excerpts:

IRANIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD AHMADINEJAD

WEYMOUTH: Will you stop enrichment and reprocessing activities?AHMADINEJAD: Why should we agree to that? There is no such provision in the NPT [Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty].

Do you think it would be in Iran's interest to move toward a normal relationship with the United States?
We are interested in having talks with everyone ... but the U.S. administration—that is, a section of the U.S. administration—does not create the right circumstances. They believe that they own the entire world, so they speak from that position, looking down at us. Some politicians in the United States think that the nuclear issue is a way to put pressure on Iran, but they are wrong. [A country] that has actually produced and used nuclear bombs cannot claim that they now want to stop proliferation.

Everyone in the region says the result of the U.S. invasion of Iraq is that Iran is more powerful than ever.
Do you think there is a problem with Iran being a powerful country? A powerful Iran will benefit the region, because Iran is a country with a deep culture and has always been a peaceful country. :P

Are you going to continue backing terror groups—Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad?
Why do you call them terrorists? If someone occupied the United States and the American people rose to defend their home, would you call the American people terrorists? :agree: :tup:

What do you want the United States to do?
I sent a very detailed and caring letter [to President Bush]. I truly mean it when I say that I hope Mr. Bush will change his behavior and attitude. It doesn't make us happy that sentiments against him rise on a daily basis around the world.

How can you come to this country and tell our president to change his behavior?
We're just defending our honor. :tup:

Full Interviews Here

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom