What's new

Dan Ives says China is losing the A.I. race as Wedbush sees ‘discernibly more clients in Asia’ rotating toward Silicon Valley

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Artificial intelligence is the latest battlefront for U.S. and Chinese companies as they fight to dominate the disruptive technology. The contest is likely still in its opening stages, but early signs suggest the race might be for U.S. companies to lose.

Investors are more excited about the U.S. businesses leading the charge on A.I.—including Microsoft, Google, and Apple—than their Chinese rivals, suggesting U.S. tech stocks are in a stronger position to benefit as interest in the new technology grows, according to an analyst note Friday by investment firm Wedbush.

The A.I. race is a “heavily U.S.-dominated theme for now,” Wedbush managing director and tech analyst Dan Ives wrote in the note, sharing his impressions after meeting hundreds of investors in South and East Asia recently. Ives wrote that he witnessed a “dramatic difference in positive tone and ramped-up client interest” in Asia during his visit.

In China, meanwhile, “geopolitical tensions and regulatory surprises from Beijing” are dampening investor interest in the country’s A.I. scene, Ives wrote.

Interest in A.I. in the U.S. has exploded over the past six months, as tech companies like Google and Microsoft have tried to play catch up to startup OpenAI, the creator of ChatGPT, one of the fastest-growing applications in history. Both giants have already released new A.I. tools, including enhanced search engines and office assistants, and are locked in a “Game of Thrones battle,” Ives told CNBC in February.

Apple is less invested in the race given its smaller presence in the search engine market, but the company is working to integrate A.I. software with its devices, including a recently announced feature that taps machine learning to create a synthesized digital copy of users’ voices. Amazon and Meta have also been working on their own large language models (LLMs) and A.I. software. Corporate executives mentioned A.I. nearly 1,100 times during second quarter earnings calls last month, more than double from the same period last year, as companies of all kinds talked up their A.I. efforts.

Chinese companies are also scrambling to develop better A.I., but investor interest has been more muted. Baidu, China’s leading search engine, has its own equivalent of ChatGPT, while large tech companies including e-commerce titan Alibaba and telecommunications giant Huawei are among the top 10 companies worldwide in terms of driving A.I. research.

In recent years, China has arguably dedicated more resources than the U.S. towards developing A.I. China’s government has long been a big sponsor of A.I. research, including a $2.1 billion plan in 2018 to build a technology park dedicated to A.I. near Beijing. China’s research community also published around twice as many A.I.-related research papers than the U.S. in 2021, according to a January study by Nikkei, a Tokyo-based financial news outlet. China’s research was deemed to be of higher quality by the study, as citations of U.S. A.I.-related papers trailed China’s by around 70%.

But despite China’s resources, the country’s early attempts at commercializing A.I. have fallen flat with investors. In March, when Baidu unveiled its A.I.-powered chatbot, Ernie Bot, investors were disappointed that the presentation didn’t include a live demo. That translated into a 6.4% drop in Baidu’s Hong Kong-listed stock by market close the day of the launch, wiping out $3 billion in the company’s value.

While China’s government moved fast to create rules for A.I. this year, strict data privacy and censorship requirements have hampered research. Companies developing A.I. must ensure their systems do not promote the “subversion of state power” or behave in ways that might “split the country” and “undermine national unity,” according to the new A.I. rules, announced in April.

The limits risk putting China’s A.I. at a disadvantage and therefore may not measure up to foreign rivals, some say. After all, A.I. systems are only as good as the data they’re trained on. China’s government has also cracked down on large tech companies in recent years by requiring new public listings be approved by the state first, raising fears that the country is sacrificing innovation in favor of gaining more control over its tech sector.

“We are seeing discernibly more clients in Asia spending their time and resources around owning US tech stocks over the coming year with more rotation away from China Big Tech,” Ives wrote.

To be sure, lax U.S. regulation of A.I. has come with downsides. Current domestic A.I. models are still prone to making misleading and inaccurate statements, and risk accelerating the spread of misinformation just in time for an election year. The Biden administration unveiled rules this month, which are not yet legally binding, to direct responsible A.I. research, but even executives have said that more regulation of A.I. is “essential.”

But if the U.S. can regulate A.I. without damaging innovation in the industry, and exploit the shortcomings of China’s, it would be a lucrative technology to corner. Ives estimated A.I. will grow to become an $800 billion market opportunity over the next decade, calling the technology “one of the most transformational we have seen in 22 years of covering tech stocks.”

The different between China and USA is in education.

China education is all about memorizing.

While USA is all about thinking out of the box.

It will lead to a different result.

For decades later, I think USA will still lead in term of breakthru innovation, while China is for diligent and manufacturing.

China education is all abo memorizing.

For decades later, I think USA will still lead in term of breakthru innovation, while China is for diligent and manufacturing.

It is the American people who cannot think out of the box, êspecially with regards to economic, politics and education. They can only see the world in a fixed frame which have been pushed into their mouth by their media for decades, if not centuries.

If participate in any forum with large American members, anyone can see how brainwashed they are, as if they never climb out of their traditional way of thinking to accept that there are other world and other people who can be far superior than them in many aspects

Of course, I am talking about the mass, not some outstanding individuals.

A little bit like South Vietnamese, which the city of Saigon in real world was a sea of slums, beggars and drug addicts, with a poorly educated mass, no manufacturing, no nothing but lived off on the aid from the US. However, it was wreferred to as "The Pearl of the Far East" by some Western journalists, so they (South Vietnamese, especially California-dwelling South Vietnamese) have been living with that delusion until now.

All heavily American-influenced countries have similar mentanlity (Phillipines, South America, African countries)

Last edited:
The focus of research in the field of AI between China and the United States is not the same. The United States focuses on human-computer interaction, while China focuses on industrial applications. It is too early to say that the United States is leading China in the AI field.

Yeah but the Chinese here not long ago were touting how all their published research papers compared to the US in AI showed how they had such an enormous lead.

100% on point.
This is why China and India will NEVER be "super powers"
China can't allow high level of thinking in education as that would threaten the dictatorship of the CCP and India simply can't do it, too low IQ.
Thus, both will be regional powers until their eventual collapse.

It is the American people who cannot think out of the box, êspecially with regards to economic, politics and education. They can only see the world in a fixed frame which have been pushed into their mouth by their media for decades, if not centuries.

If participate in any forum with large American members, anyone can see how brainwashed they are, as if they never climb out of their traditional way of thinking to accept that there are other world and other people who can be far superior than them in many aspects

Of course, I am talking about the mass, not some outstanding individuals.

A little bit like South Vietnamese, which the city of Saigon in real world was a sea of slums, beggars and drug addicts, with a poorly educated mass, no manufacturing, no nothing but lived off on the aid from the US. However, it was wreferred to as "The Pearl of the Far East" by some Western journalists, so they (South Vietnamese, especially California-dwelling South Vietnamese) have been living with that delusion until now.

All heavily American-influenced countries have similar mentanlity (Phillipines, South America, African countries)

All that matters is what is accomplished by each country and sometimes all it takes is a few good leaders and men. BYD was on the brink in 2009 of unleashing 100% EV sedans on the world market. Basically unleashing a monopoly. Unfortunately their tech didn’t quite work at the price they expected. Elon Musk swoops in a few years later and is now known for being the man who brought 100% EVs to the world.

Nobody ever hears of China having any Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, or Elon Musks.

Last edited:
All that matters is what is accomplished by each country and sometimes all it takes is a few good leaders and men. BYD was on the brink in 2009 of unleashing 100% EV sedans on the world market. Basically unleashing a monopoly. Unfortunately their tech didn’t quite work at the price they expected. Elon Musk swoops in a few years later and is now known for being the man who brought 100% EVs to the world.

Nobody ever hears of China having any Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, or Elon Musks.

East Asian culture does not revere individualism.

Bill Gates may be great, but Steve Jobs or Elon Musks.? What they have done but others cannot? Copy all from others and "re-definite"?

Can any American company, or world company, repeat what TSMC or Samsung are doing? No. But anyone heard about their CEOs? Anyone heard about Sony CEO when Sony was in its peak in 1980s, during which it was as popular, if not more than Apple or Tesla today

That is why East Asian culture will forever be superior.

And creating facncy and popular products is not as important, from technological / scientific point of view, as creating the technology behind it. Count the patent filling of each countries every year.

Last edited:

Bill Gates may be great, but Steve Jobs or Elon Musks.? What they have done but others cannot? Copy all from others and "re-definite"?

Can any American company, or world company, repeat what TSMC or Samsung are doing? No. But anyone hear about their CEOs? Anyone hear about Sony CEO when Sony was in its peak in 1980s, during which it was even more popular than Apple or Tesla today

I don’t remember any Asian countries designing personal computers that people wanted. The vast majority of computers are based on IBM/Microsoft windows or Apple designs. Right now almost everybody of the planet uses Microsoft Windows or MacOS based software controlling their PC’s. Steve Jobs is the one who brought Personal Computers to the consumer market with his Apple. Especially the Apple IIe. The IBM PC was later.

steve-jobs-lisa.jpg

Jobs also made GUI’s using a mouse mainstream while before that everything was text based DOS systems.
images

He also made the finger gesture smartphones mainstream. Before him everybody thought Nokia was the best design.

As for Musk he is the only man on the planet that has been able to start a company that launches people into space. Remember even the Chinese needed Russian Soyuz tech to launch people into space. Not only that but he launched more rockets last year into space than even China. His reusable rocket design helped him pull that off (that nobody else has been able to master and he’ll be landing his 200th any day now). Before NASA’s SLS rocket took off he had the most powerful active rocket in the world. His company currently owns most of the active satellites in orbit. He also will be remembered as the man who up-ended the powerful oil industry and made 100% EVs mainstream in many countries.

That laptop on your desk thank Bill Gates.
That touchscreen smartphone in your hand thank Steve Jobs.
That EV in your driveway. Thank Elon Musk.

Last edited:

Can any American company, or world company, repeat what TSMC or Samsung are doing? No. But anyone heard about their CEOs? Anyone heard about Sony CEO when Sony was in its peak in 1980s, during which it was as popular, if not more than Apple or Tesla today

And creating facncy and popular products is not as important, from technological / scientific point of view, as creating the technology behind it. Count the patent filling of each countries every year.

TSMC and Samsung heavily rely on American tech and know how. You realize the US government has both by the balls right?

Back
Top Bottom