What's new

[Dalian Wanda's] ‘The Great Wall’ Topples at North American Box Office

people kinda see it coming a long way around.you can't really try to break into Hollywood with a sole Chinese theme, even if you attach a big name for it, it still not going to happen

It also point to one thing, that is, if you cannot break it in hollywood, you cannot break into the world.

I think this is pretty much it...
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=greatwall.htm
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $44,914,280 13.6%
+ Foreign: $284,900,000 86.4%
= Worldwide: $329,814,280

Kong:Skull Island doing better
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $133,502,238 34.0%
+ Foreign: $258,600,000 66.0%
= Worldwide: $392,102,238

Although the 2005 version of King Kong made $550,000,000

Last edited:
330 million dollars! :china: Box office gross of Chinese films are getting bigger and bigger.

As good a popcorn muncher as any out of Hollywood...
I liked it, cheesy, good CGI and great action sequences.

330 million dollars! :china: Box office gross of Chinese films are getting bigger and bigger.

Well they have a ways to go. It only made $160M overseas. Not impressive for a big budget movie. "Beauty and the Beast" more than doubled that ($693M) in less than 10 days (with $374M overseas). Even "The Mermaid" made $550M over its entire run (but less than $25M overseas). China needs some big ideas and good stories that appeal to world audiences to break the $400M mark overseas combined with $400M+ locally to have a blockbuster and $500M locally + $500M overseas to break the $1 billion mark.

Example: the recent "Rogue One"
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic (US): $531,314,491 50.4%
+ Foreign: $523,804,459 49.6%
= Worldwide: $1,055,118,950

if you want to make a super successful movie you need overseas sales.

"Force Awakens"
Lifetime Grosses
Domestic (US): $936,662,225 45.3%
+ Foreign: $1,131,561,399 54.7%
= Worldwide: $2,068,223,624

Last edited:
The Mermaid easily doing 550 million dollars while the Great Wall easily doing 330 million dollars, looks like america's place in the movie industry as number one is in danger. American moviemakers are pissing in their pants right now. :yahoo:

I think this is pretty much it...
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=greatwall.htm
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $44,914,280 13.6%
+ Foreign: $284,900,000 86.4%
= Worldwide: $329,814,280

Total Lifetime Grosses

Well, as I predicted, this goes nowhere and Wanda ended up 50 millions out of pocket.......

I think Wanda ought to rethink their strategy on Movie Production, what works in China WILL NOT works in Hollywood. Beside, the great wall also bombed in China.

Why are you people obsessing over a movie ? :crazy:

Why are you people obsessing over a movie ? :crazy:

Lol! Because "The Great Wall"' was supposed to be the epic Chinese big budget world blockbuster breakout SciFi/action movie. Sort of like Lord of the Rings.

Since Kong: Skull Island did far better for them they may reconsider their strategy of using Legendary East. Kong just opened a few days ago in China with $72M. Now its world total is >$400M.

Last edited:
Total Lifetime Grosses

Kong: Skull Island approaching the $550M total for the 2005 movie.
($123M in China)

Domestic: $156,554,724 29.2%
+ Foreign: $378,900,000 70.8%
= Worldwide: $535,454,724

Lol! Because "The Great Wall"' was supposed to be the epic Chinese big budget world blockbuster breakout SciFi/action movie. Sort of like Lord of the Rings.

Since Kong: Skull Island did far better for them they may reconsider their strategy of using Legendary East. Kong just opened a few days ago in China with $72M. Now its world total is >$400M.

you realized legendary was in the middle of shooting "the great wall" when it got acquired by Wanda right? i don't think Wanda was all too happy but couldn't cancel the project because money already got sink into it. legendary founder left legendary right after this movie got released. if you see my earlier replies, all Asian groups basically wanted this movie to fail, along with ghost in the shell (good god, what a crap that was).

Kong: Skull Island approaching the $550M total for the 2005 movie.
($123M in China)

Domestic: $156,554,724 29.2%
+ Foreign: $378,900,000 70.8%
= Worldwide: $535,454,724

Kong up to 160 million in china now. not sure on usa numbers but it did very well.

you realized legendary was in the middle of shooting "the great wall" when it got acquired by Wanda right? i don't think Wanda was all too happy but couldn't cancel the project because money already got sink into it. legendary founder left legendary right after this movie got released. if you see my earlier replies, all Asian groups basically wanted this movie to fail, along with ghost in the shell (good god, what a crap that was).

Kong up to 160 million in china now. not sure on usa numbers but it did very well.

Wanda was still the primary financier for the Great Wall (prior to it's acquisition of Legendary), and made many of the most important production decisions such as choice of director Zhang Yimou, and choice of filming location. They were too engaged in the production to want to pull out, they went into this production fully intending the film to be a success. It just didn't turn out that way.

Wanda was still the primary financier for the Great Wall (prior to it's acquisition of Legendary), and made many of the most important production decisions such as choice of director Zhang Yimou, and choice of filming location. They were too engaged in the production to want to pull out, they went into this production fully intending the film to be a success. It just didn't turn out that way.

Wanda had no part to play. Another company, China Film Group was roped in to co-finance, but the movie was conceived and written by Legendary in the US. The producers and writers are Americans. Choice of director, Zhang yimou, was picked by producer, Thomas Tull, from Legendary.

http://deadline.com/2013/05/legendary-east-makes-rare-multi-pic-deal-with-china-film-co-510535/

http://deadline.com/2014/03/zhang-yimou-to-scale-the-great-wall-700861/

The Great Wall (film)

Produced by

Screenplay by
Story by
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Wall_(film)

Last edited:
We're going to get into a pointless argument over this, saying Wanda had no part to play in the development of this film is not exactly right. That comes across as re-visionary, a different story would no doubt have been spun if the film had been successful. Why don't you just call it what it really is, a joint screw up.

There would have been commercial and political reasons for Wanda Et Al to be engaged at the start of the process, the film would not have been assured access to the Chinese market without it.

We're going to get into a pointless argument over this, saying Wanda had no part to play in the development of this film is not exactly right. That comes across as re-visionary, a different story would no doubt have been spun if the film had been successful. Why don't you just call it what it really is, a joint screw up.

There would have been commercial and political reasons for Wanda Et Al to be engaged at the start of the process, the film would not have been assured access to the Chinese market without it.

it doesn't matter. i am glad the film fail. or at least not as successful as it should be. it still made "even", just no profit. i have a good laugh at ghost in the shell numbers tho haha.

Back
Top Bottom