What's new

CWG opening ceremony was better than Olympics: Bernie

What for? Money. Bad press for the CWG hurts his F1 event in Delhi. If you can't spot his motives, well.

Money makes the mare go! Given the chance, He would say exactly opposite in China if the event was planned in China.

I might add though...it's his personal statement. Why make a fuss?

The Olympics is a much bigger event and China did an awesome job of pulling it off. Indians should host the Olympics on a grander scale before comparing ourselves with China.

there is no comparison between cwg & Olympics
huge corruption be taken in cwg India
but we can't see any 1 incident in Olympic china

That isn't entirely fair. The media is controlled in China and journalists were allowed only in certain places. I am sure they had far lesser problems, but there were other reasons for no incidents reported in China.

Money makes the mare go! Given the chance, He would say exactly opposite in China if the event was planned in China.

I might add though...it's his personal statement. Why make a fuss?

No fuss, but I did want to point out that no one appears to realize why he made that statement (except you).

As Henry Fielding once said

"False flattery is never so agreeable as to our blind side; commend a fool for his wit, or a knave for his honesty, and they will receive you into their bosoms”

Bernie is worried the bad press from the CWG's would hurt his profits for the Delhi F1 race. This is PR for his F1 races, don't take it personally.

It could be true. I partially agree with you.

As soon as the Games got over, Ecclestone came rushing to Delhi to have a close look at the preparations for the Indian Grand Prix, the F1 race scheduled to be held next year.

"A lot of people were worried about how things were here after reading about the Commonwealth Games. I thought that the opening ceremony was better than the Olympics and the World Cup," he added.

And how could he say the opening ceremony was better than olympics or world cup when he never watched it? Or did he watch it in TV ?

The CWG opening ceremony was absolutely amazing. No doubt about it.

I wouldn't compare the CWG's with the Olympics though. Apples and oranges, etc.

true, both were amazing in their own way, rather than comparing against each other we can say that this century belongs to Asia, I hardly can remember any opening ceremonies till now except the Chinese and the Indian. We showed to the world that Asians can put a much better show that any Western country.

India lives up to its well-deserved reputation as the preeminent underachiever among nations. India has a knack for defying the most pessimistic predictions by performing even worse than expected. This sham of a preparation must be unprecedented in the history of the Commonwealth Games, no, the history of sports. I can say with confidence that there has never been such a painfully plodding, incompetently executed, and thoroughly corrupt preparation for an international sporting event, be it the Olympics, the Asiad, the World Cup, or the Commonwealth Games. The incredible India has indeed done the incredible: being a self-proclaimed Great Power while botching a modest sporting event. Even the small nation of Greece, with a sliver of India’s population, has hosted the Olympic Games, which dwarfs the Commonwealth Games not only in scale but also logistical and infrastructural demands. India the super power soon-to-be? Bah! Try India the giant pygmy that can’t match the tiny Greece! With a political class of sycophants and incompetents, India would be lucky to hold itself together for another 60 years, much less aspiring to Great Power status.
Speaking of Great Powers, I recall that a few years back, there was voluminous talk in India about catching up with China and surpassing it. Many Indians, driven by delusions of grandeur, flooded the Internet forums, belching the “India Shining” balderdash as unremittingly as the Gulf oil spill. Ever since the Chinese hosted the Beijing Olympics, which was an astounding display of China’s organizational and sporting prowess, the Indian pastime of fantasizing about overtaking China has suffered a precipitous decline. Through the Beijing Olympics, the Indians caught a glimpse of reality, which sharply moderated their false pride. The Indian ego was further deflated by the release of Slumdog Millionaire, which allowed the Western movie audiences a rare peek into the real India, whose grotesquery had hitherto been obscured by decades of Gandhian sanctimony and more recently, a thick layer of triumphalist maquillage. Now comes the Commonwealth Games fiasco, the last play in a trifecta of crushing publicity, and it may just do the impossible: muzzling the famously motor-mouthed Indians and putting their silly delusions to rest. No wonder India was fated to discover zero, for India is a ZERO!

Very well put......I hope there will be more such assaults on INDIA from all sides in 5 years down the line......:smitten:

That is pretty correct. Even the themes and the execution in each of the respective opening ceremonies were very different. At the most somebody can only say that "he/she liked one more than the other'- as far as i am concerned, even that is hard to say.

About Bernie, Card-Sharp is not far off the mark. Bernie has to market his F1 show. It is pure commerce, and Bernie stands to make big bucks from it. So he has to add his "bit of hyperbole".
Bernie must have genuinely liked the CWG opening, that is a possibility.
i am inclined to take Bernie very seriously as an astute businessman; as an "aesthete" or patron of creative or performing arts, i don't need to refer to him.

Why we get so happy at such comments. Also why we end of feeling happy when compared to China. Get life, China is far ahead of us in many important things.

That is pretty correct. Even the themes and the execution in each of the respective opening ceremonies were very different. At the most somebody can only say that "he/she liked one more than the other'- as far as i am concerned, even that is hard to say.

Exactly right. :tup:

To have a true "like with like" comparison we will have to wait for the Indian Olympics. And even then, any comparison will still be subjective.

I am confident though, in saying that both opening ceremonies were world-class and world-beating.

Having first hand experience of the F-1 race venue...I can say that bernie has some truth in it....and that may be its a tactic to avoid negative media publicity beforehand.....Jaypee group is doing good work....and since it is in hands of private party better management of the venue is expected......by the way venue is just 10 min from my home....I will try to take some pics next time and post here.......

Well I do not understand something here.

It can be agreed that better ceremony means more money spent.
So if India spends more money on ceremony than China (who is more rich), why should we be proud. Having wrong priorities in life is not something I will feel proud off.

Analogy
I got married my father spent 3 lacs on marriage. We still have good amount of money with us.
My uncles son got married he spent 10 lacs, he took all on loan.

Now he is in debt, loan taken for marriage. Who did a better job?

So spending does not mean you did right thing.

God!

You guyz are still talking about CWG :angry:

Where are the MODs :frown:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom