What's new

Cut defence budget, make 1 bomb less and give women free sanitary pads: Akshay

BHarwana

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The actor gives a message to government as he feels that sanitary pads should not be tax-free, rather free for women.
dc-Cover-u301gblqmm6fkh630olvorbu24-20180116092538.Medi.jpeg

Akshay Kumar has been on a promotion overdrive for 'Pad Man.'
Pune: Akshay Kumar, who is all set to come up with his next film 'Padman' in the Republic Day weekend, feels that sanitary pads should not be tax-free, rather free for women.

While promoting the movie in Pune, the 50-year-old-actor said, "Women are going for tax-free sanitary pads, but I say it should be completely free. Cut the five percent money from defence, make one bomb less and give it to women to get sanitary napkins."

'Pad Man' is a biopic based on the life of Arunachalam Muruganantham, who makes cheap and affordable sanitary pads for the women of his village and fights for menstrual hygiene.

Quirky posters, interesting trailer and some soulful songs have already made fans really curious.

Helmed by R. Balki, 'Pad Man' also stars Sonam Kapoor and Radhika Apte.
The flick is all set to release on January 25, and will clash with Sanjay Leela Bhansali's magnum opus 'Padmaavat', which stars Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Shahid Kapoor in pivotal roles.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/ente...and-give-women-free-sanitary-pads-akshay.html

@django @Chinese-Dragon The thread needs your attention.

Dont they have some sort of desi solution???
What did women do when there were no tampons??

The actor gives a message to government as he feels that sanitary pads should not be tax-free, rather free for women.

Pune: Akshay Kumar, who is all set to come up with his next film 'Padman' in the Republic Day weekend, feels that sanitary pads should not be tax-free, rather free for women.

While promoting the movie in Pune, the 50-year-old-actor said, "Women are going for tax-free sanitary pads, but I say it should be completely free. Cut the five percent money from defence, make one bomb less and give it to women to get sanitary napkins."

'Pad Man' is a biopic based on the life of Arunachalam Muruganantham, who makes cheap and affordable sanitary pads for the women of his village and fights for menstrual hygiene.

Quirky posters, interesting trailer and some soulful songs have already made fans really curious.

The flick is all set to release on January 25, and will clash with Sanjay Leela Bhansali's magnum opus 'Padmaavat', which stars Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Shahid Kapoor in pivotal roles.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/ente...and-give-women-free-sanitary-pads-akshay.html

Visit the below link would have got him the answer without having to talk like a defense expert

http://nhm.gov.in/nrhmcomponnets/reproductive-child-health/adolescent-health/mhs/311-schemes.html

He also said 80 percent women does not use pad there what govt was doing just kwwp increasing weapon and vltv advertise india is this and that.

defence and space are the easiest targets for every tom dick and harry when it comes to financing socially relevant solutions.
While there is no doubt that a woman in any country deserves hygiene and respect for her needs, how a society addresses those issues is perhaps what matters.
One less piece of weapon or PSLV will only finance need of sanitary napkins for how long?
National budget already makes a lot of provision for such needs, unfortunately the corruption eats away most of money and as a result people like Arunachalam Muruganantham come up with ingenious solutions which is worth praise.
As for Mr. Akshay Kumar, he'll make a movie earn accolades and perhaps move away (with heaps of money off course). Ridiculing army is an easy way for a lot of people to justify a lot of social problems requiring money. Why should Mr. Kumar be any different.

@Joe Shearer @nair @Levina

Instead of Making made in India Jet India should make made in India sanitary pads they are more easy to make and will not take HAL next 50 years to do so.

Their biggest concern is Muslims and triple talaq whereas their own women are living in unhygienic condition, suffering from poverty, diseases and rape. Fvcked up priorities!

defence and space are the easiest targets for every tom dick and harry when it comes to financing socially relevant solutions.
While there is no doubt that a woman in any country deserves hygiene and respect for her needs, how a society addresses those issues is perhaps what matters.
One less piece of weapon or PSLV will only finance need of sanitary napkins for how long?
National budget already makes a lot of provision for such needs, unfortunately the corruption eats away most of money and as a result people like Arunachalam Muruganantham come up with ingenious solutions which is worth praise.
As for Mr. Akshay Kumar, he'll make a movie earn accolades and perhaps move away (with heaps of money off course). Ridiculing army is an easy way for a lot of people to justify a lot of social problems requiring money. Why should Mr. Kumar be any different.

@Joe Shearer @nair @Levina

I think that was a very unfair comment. I have always admired your fact-filled, no-nonsense interventions, and it is saddening to see your reply, that trivialises the issue, misleads the unwary, and makes insinuations about the motives of the actor that are very small-hearted.

First, the person, whom we have attacked. Please look at his record. He is one of the highest tax-payers; he has always, on every single issue where we find him commenting, done so from a point of view of the highest ethical standards. I don't think he needs to explain any point of his social consciousness, and I do think that he deserves praise, from every single south Asian.

Second, his approach. Where has he attacked the army, and where has he criticised the peaceful space programme? If you knew, from the point of view of an insider, the amount of waste incurred in armies in India and in Pakistan, you would readily agree with his concealed argument, that the budget for defence could easily afford the minuscule sum involved to improve the health and dignity of the women of these countries.

Third, the reactions. How long would it have taken to address the issue if male safety and hygiene had been involved? Why is it that simply because men can relieve themselves anywhere and everywhere with impunity (in India, at least; I have no idea about the situation in Pakistan), there are no rest-rooms or clean and hygienic toilets for men OR women, women being unfortunate enough not to enjoy the social liberties about personal space and dignity in these aspects that men enjoy?

You of all people, Sir? I would have understood if lowly scum like <deleted; changed to "...some other of the Indian members that we have..."> had made the post that you did. Coming from you, it is deeply saddening.

As for Pakistani members who commented, it is sad that they lack the values that would have allowed them to focus on this social outrage and its solutions, and it is sad that they chose to make this an opportunity for mocking and for sneers. It trivialises them, to the point where it is tempting to think that they were not capable of any but a trivial answer in the first place.

Last edited:
I think that was a very unfair comment. I have always admired your fact-filled, no-nonsense interventions, and it is saddening to see your reply, that trivialises the issue, misleads the unwary, and makes insinuations about the motives of the actor that are very small-hearted.

First, the person, whom we have attacked. Please look at his record. He is one of the highest tax-payers; he has always, on every single issue where we find him commenting, done so from a point of view of the highest ethical standards. I don't think he needs to explain any point of his social consciousness, and I do think that he deserves praise, from every single south Asian.

Second, his approach. Where has he attacked the army, and where has he criticised the peaceful space programme? If you knew, from the point of view of an insider, the amount of waste incurred in armies in India and in Pakistan, you would readily agree with his concealed argument, that the budget for defence could easily afford the minuscule sum involved to improve the health and dignity of the women of these countries.

Third, the reactions. How long would it have taken to address the issue if male safety and hygiene had been involved? Why is it that simply because men can relieve themselves anywhere and everywhere with impunity (in India, at least; I have no idea about the situation in Pakistan), there are no rest-rooms or clean and hygienic toilets for men OR women, women being unfortunate enough not to enjoy the social liberties about personal space and dignity in these aspects that men enjoy?

You of all people, Sir? I would have understood if lowly scum like @noksss had made the post that you did. Coming from you, it is deeply saddening.

As for Pakistani members who commented, it is sad that they lack the values that would have allowed them to focus on this social outrage and its solutions, and it is sad that they chose to make this an opportunity for mocking and for sneers. It trivialises them, to the point where it is tempting to think that they were not capable of any but a trivial answer in the first place.

As the actor is saying if a one less bomb can make the difference then why not? take his advice. Probably that one less bomb will always remain in the storage and will be never used.

As the actor is saying if a one less bomb can make the difference then why not? take his advice. Probably that one less bomb will always remain in the storage and will be never used.

No more than one (1) bomb is needed by either nation; two in the case of India, one for Pakistan, one for China. All the rest are totally illusionary; they serve absolutely no purpose.

No more than one (1) bomb is needed by either nation; two in the case of India, one for Pakistan, one for China. All the rest are totally illusionary; they serve absolutely no purpose.

Pakistan needs more we have to also use them against the cold start as well. Small for the cold start and few large for the cities if there is an exchange plus keeping in mind the success percentage of ABM systems.

the person, whom we have attacked.
Sir, I'm sad it sounded that way. Personal attacks ain't my thing, neither of web forums nor in life.
I'm trying to see a logic in actor's statement and felt that in general we haven't got over the psyche of first 50 years of independence when any of out achievements in field of science and engineering were made easy targets for the kind of economic conditions we had in that era.
Here the actor hasn't said on those areas but my question remains, What good would it do to reduce defence budget (which already is less than 2% of GDP) to finance social schemes like healthcare and Education. Our government already gives a lot of money albeit without caring how much is reaching its destination. Why blame money given to armed forces (for a well defined and needed job) as culprit.
Yes, in a Utopian world, we all want our schools to be safe and comfortable for kids, hospitals well equipped to handle patients and would love to trade Arms for ambulances and so on. But we don't live in that world.
How long would it have taken to address the issue if male safety and hygiene had been involved?
Says a lot but have seen a lot of changes happening in organized sector atleast. Women and her care is being taken quite seriously at workplaces, although there is a long road still to be traveled.

Why do we need arms really then?
I would really have loved, had we addressed the question of massive leakages in government grants and funding owing to corruption for such requirements.
The harsh truth here in India is (again cannot comment on Pakistan), that even if army sells every bullet in its arsenal and divert the money towards healthcare, the money would still end up in wrong pockets.

Pakistan needs more we have to also use them against the cold start as well. Small for the cold start and few large for the cities if there is an exchange plus keeping in mind the success percentage of ABM systems.

The Pakistani Army has shown time and again that it has excellent tactical capabilities and has zero strategic or political sense. I suggest that at least those not obliged to agree with the follies of the top commanders due to their not being uniformed and disciplined members of the military should exercise their rational minds and think through the proposition that every brigade battle group intrusion is appropriately met by tactical nuclear devices. It is, of course, pointless to expect the others, the serving officers and men, to try to restrain the lunatic brainwaves of the top echelons.

Please just sit down for a moment and think it through for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom