What's new

Crisis deepens as India blocks Chenab flow

BD really needs nuclear weapons. I can't see India compensating us without those. :smokin:

India would take our requests seriously. I am sure the justice of the situation was not the only reason that India is compensating Pakistan. Makes sense to have an effective military.

I don't understand the relevance or connection Munshi Ji. :confused:
Please elaborate.

Thanks!

India is taking away water from several of our rivers and has never agreed to compensate us. I assume if BD had something stronger than words to back up our requests India would be more accommodating. That is my point.

Nuclear weapons doesn't solve the problem. There are certain doctrines followed by militaries world over in order to use Nuclear Weapons and it is not definitely going to be over water. Nuking is no child's play.

I'm sure, these things can be resolved through talks or International courts.

BD has tried everything. Pakistan didn't have to go that far to get what it wanted. This is a lesson for BD. India understands force and so do most nations. You have a strong military to back up your words and India's attention span increases and so does likelihood of compromise.

BD has tried everything. Pakistan didn't have to go that far to get what it wanted. This is a lesson for BD. India understands force and so do most nations. You have a strong military to back up your words and India's attention span increases and so does likelihood of compromise.

While one would hope this wasn't the case, in the real world it unfortunately is.

That we are getting even the current shreds of restraint from NATO (and historically from India) has a lot to do with Pakistan's nuclear weapons.

I also think that India's agreement (if the report is true) to compensate Pakistan has a bit to do with the current 'peace process' being played out as well - Zardari and Gillani have made some very high profile statements about India having to compensate Pakistan, including that letter to MMS on the issue, so I think that India did not want to come across as the 'bad guy' that 'sabotaged' the peace process over something so vital.

But in the peace process as well is implicit the reality that Pakistan and India are strong military powers that possess Nuclear Weapons, and therefore have a lot to lose (as does the world) if they do not negotiate and compromise. So the 'strong military' argument I think works on several levels.

AFAIK I don't think there was agreement of compensation, But Pakistanis demand was compensation in terms of water which India may consider as a CBM as intention of India was not to harm Pakistan by blocking Chenab water.

This has nothing to do with a country being strong, Pakistan and India have already being to International courts over water and the decision was heavily tilted in favor of India, Though Pakistani politicians claimed it was victory for Pakistan before they realized the decision.

‘India agrees to compensate for Chenab water’

LAHORE: India will provide Pakistan 200,000 acre-feet water as compensation for the reduced flow of water in the Chenab River, Federal Minister for Water and Power Raja Pervez Ashraf said on Saturday.

According to a private TV channel, Ashraf told reporters as saying Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had assured Pakistan of providing 200,000 acre-feet water as compensation for the water lost by Pakistan due to India’s construction of Baglihar Dam.

The minister said Bhasha Dam would produce over 4,500MW of electricity helping overcome load shedding. He said the dam would compensate for the expenditure incurred on it within seven years.

daily times monitor

That news item was already put up by Neo on the previous page and it was that input that sparked off this debate about why India climbed down.

That news item was already put up by Neo on the previous page and it was that input that sparked off this debate about why India climbed down.

Obviously I was not aware on compensation part, But still my comments hold good. Neo's post got buried by flood of BD posts hence the ignorance hence its important to stick to topic.

It was not a climbdown by India and is a CBM, The Chenab issue has been discussed to death in another thread earlier.

One should understand Pakistan purposefully in terms of water so that India can fulfill it, earlier the talk was about how Pakistan lost Billions of Rs. due to shortage of water in Chenab.

BD really needs nuclear weapons. I can't see India compensating us without those. :smokin:

Munshi Saheb to naraz ho gaye. Chill Sir, sabki baari aayegi.

And if India after realizing Pakistani's claim agrees to compensate water, what Nukes has to do with this.. USA Patent and Trademark Office that effectively killed a 1995 patent issued to two U.S. scientists for the medical uses of a spice. The government argued successfully that turmeric has been a traditional medicine for centuries and that a patent would constitute theft of the country's biological heritage.

and i dont think US is afraid of indian Nukes....

That is one of America's strengths (its concept of the rule of law) it is not an Indian one.

Back
Top Bottom