What's new

Credible Info on Wladyslaw Turowicz

SABRE

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Didn't know where to ask this query but since all things relating to missiles and rockets logically belong in this section of the website so I am posting here.

Does anyone have knowledge of any substantiated source or data on Air Commodore Wladyslaw Turowicz's contribution to Pakistan's rocket and possibly missile programme? By substantiated, I mean something that can be cited in an academic research paper. This includes books and journal articles but excludes Wikipedia, blogs and forums. I am unable to find any academic or official readings about him on almost all of the major online academic libraries, including JStore. News articles are also welcome but please don't refer me to the DAWN article about him. It sounds too romantic.

& while we are on the subject, does anyone has any knowledge about similarly substantiated sources France's supply of sounding rockets to Pakistan between the 1960s to 1980s?

Last edited:
Didn't know where to ask this query but since all things relating to missiles and rockets logically belong in this section of the website so I am posting here.

Does anyone have knowledge of any substantiated source or data on Air Commodore Wladyslaw Turowicz's contribution to Pakistan's rocket and possibly missile programme? By substantiated, I mean something that can be cited in an academic research paper. This includes books and journal articles but excludes Wikipedia, blogs and forums. I am unable to find any academic or official readings about him on almost all of the major online academic libraries, including JStore. News articles are also welcome but please don't refer me to the DAWN article about him. It sounds too romantic.

& while we are on the subject, does anyone has any knowledge about similarly substantiated sources France's supply of sounding rockets to Pakistan between the 1960s to 1980s?

There is a book "They polished the Royal Pakistan Air Force". Author: Aleksander Głogowski (English transcription: Aleksander Glogowski)
They-polished-the-Royal-Pakistan-Air-Force-Ebo.jpg

From https://www.researchgate.net/project/They-Polished-Royal-Pakistan-Air-Force :
"English-language publication (book) about Polish Airmen who served in the Royal Pakistan Air Force after 1947. Best known among them is air cdre. Wladyslaw Turowicz."

I don't have this book so I can't say if there is anything about possible Wladyslaw Turowicz's contribution to Pakistan's rocket and possibly missile programme

There is a book "They polished the Royal Pakistan Air Force". Author: Aleksander Głogowski (English transcription: Aleksander Glogowski)
View attachment 586672

From https://www.researchgate.net/project/They-Polished-Royal-Pakistan-Air-Force :
"English-language publication (book) about Polish Airmen who served in the Royal Pakistan Air Force after 1947. Best known among them is air cdre. Wladyslaw Turowicz."

I don't have this book so I can't say if there is anything about possible Wladyslaw Turowicz's contribution to Pakistan's rocket and possibly missile programme

Thanks. I did come across this book on ResearchGate but haven't been able to access it. I have requested the author to give me a copy. I don't know how much is in there about Turowicz's role in Pakistan rocket and missile programme though.

check the citations section on wkipedia
you will find the links of books papers, journals and archives

Already have. There are only five, of which four are dead links. The only valid link is of DAWN News, which doesn't offer much.

I would be thankful if anyone could provide me with the English PDF or Epub copy of They Polished the Royal Pakistan Air Force. The book is available at a very affordable price on Amazon here in the UK and I am willing to buy it but the delivery charges for it are just unacceptable.

View attachment 586672

Don't want to detrack the thread, but ask any Pak Airforce Family (old one 70s and 80s) how much respect Late Commodore had in Air Force, there are only four officers in Pak Airforce who enjoyed such respect Air Marshal Asghar Khan, Air Marshal Noor Khan, Commodore M M Alam and Commodore Wladyslaw Jozef, he was a great man, all his colleagues from 2nd world war who came here left but he decided to live here and spend his life here. He retired as deputy Air Chief PAF (I think I am right about this)

I never met him, but my father always speak very high of him, he met him during his academy days, although I had the pleasure of meeting madam zofia and their daughters at Faisal Airbase multiple times.

We Pakistanis Never Forget our heroes.

Turowicz-3.jpeg

Last edited:
Raf 303 sqn was all polish and the most decorated in raf

There is a movie and fb page as well

why did a polish pilot with 30 other airmen come to Pakistan?

Short answer: They came during service and liked it so much they wanted to stay

Long answer: something about the horrors of war, dislike of the soviets, their ambitious natures...

They had participated in the WWII alongside the British. So, when the communists took over Poland after the war the new regime viewed them suspiciously, especially with a pro-West Polish-Government-In-Exile based in London. Thus, war time military officials began leaving Poland for the West. I think with the War over they were not able to find any space within the British and other Western armed forces and engineering sectors. On the other hand, Royal Pakistan Air Force (RPAF) needed both the officers and engineers. The British themselves might have directed the Polish air personnel to RPAF. They had become stateless talent, and we were talent-less state, where aviation is concerned. Thus, they fit quite well in Pakistan. Some of them, including Turowicz, found a new home here and their Pakistani colleagues very much appear to have accepted them as fellow countrymen. The Polish regime later tried hiring Turowicz as a spy, which he rejected. They were definitely aiming for the right man as he might have had some, if not complete, information on Pakistani nuclear weapons programme. In the case of rocket programme, which could be converted into rudimentary ballistic missile, he was a soft-technology in himself as he was the head of rocket production, testing and experiments; and later became 2nd chief of SUPARCO. His wife remained in Pakistan even after his death and died in Karachi, while his daughters are believed have married Pakistanis. So, they were very much settled.

I believe the Polish (rather Pakistani officers of Polish origins) participated in the wars, particularly the 1965 war. I am not sure if they flew combat sorties, though. Does anyone have any information on this?

Assuming most of these were young men of about 30-35 in 1947, by 1965 they would have been close to 50 years of age. Too old for a combat fighter pilot. I would, therefore, assume that Pakistani Poles contributed as ground & support staff; essential for the successful conduct of Air Force combat operations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom