What's new

Could talk to Pak if action taken against 26/11 perpetrators: Manmohan

EjazR

Reaction score
The Hindu : News / National : Could talk to Pak if action taken against 26/11 perpetrators: Manmohan

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said India could resume dialogue with Pakistan on all issues if “concrete” and “effective” action is taken against those behind the Mumbai terror strikes but made it clear that there was no need for the US or any other country to get involved in the Indo-Pak affairs.

Dr. Singh made known his dissatisfaction over insufficient action by Pakistan with regard to those behind 26/11 as he said that several of the “conspirators”, including LeT chief Hafiz Saeed, were still roaming about freely.

Addressing a press conference here, he rejected Pakistan’s contention that there was not enough evidence to act against Saeed and said the proof, even that gathered by American agencies, was already in public domain and there was no need to give any more.

Dr. Singh, who conveyed to President Barack Obama India’s unhappiness over Pakistan’s attitude on dealing with terrorism and particularly named Saeed and al-Qaeda leader Ilyas Kashmiri in this regard, hoped that the points he raised would “weigh considerably” on the US government.

“Open secret”

Disagreeing that he had taken “complaint” against Pakistan to Mr. Obama, he said he had to “explain” India’s perspective, which is an “open secret”, whenever anyone asks at meetings about the bilateral relations between India and Pakistan.

“We have said more than once that Pakistan, if it takes credible steps to bring the perpetrators of the horrible crime of 26/11 to book... that’s the minimum we expect from Pakistan and if Pakistan does that, we would be very happy to talk to them and beginning talking to them once again on all our issues,” Dr. Singh said.

When pointed out that Pakistan was already prosecuting seven terrorists in connection with 26/11, the Prime Minister said there were “other people” named in the conspiracy who were “roaming about freely” in Pakistan.

“That is the reality and these are facts which are brought about, not only by our intelligence agencies, but by intelligence agencies of friendly countries. We want Pakistan to at least bring those people to book and do it effectively.”

Rebuffing Pakistan Premier Yusuf Raza Gilani for saying that Pakistan did not have enough evidence to act against LeT leaders like Saeed, Singh said, “First of all, I do not see the need for any further evidence about the role of LeT.”

Observing that he hated to “enter into an argument” with Mr. Gilani at a press conference, the Prime Minister said, “I think the American intelligence and the Americans forces have been saying and pointed out the role of LeT, the link of Lashkar-e-Taiba with al Qaeda.

“So I do not see there is any need for me to provide any additional evidence to Prime Minister Gilani about the role of LeT, Hafeez Saeed, Illais Kashmiri, Zaki-ur-Rahman, are name with regard to fanning of terrorism directed against (India).”

Composite dialogue

India has put the composite dialogue on hold since the Mumbai attacks and refused to resume it till Pakistan punishes all those behind the carnage.

At India’s initiative, the two countries held Foreign Secretary-level talks in February to discuss the issue of cross-border terrorism hurting India.

However, India has ruled out resumption of composite dialogue till it is satisfied with action Pakistan takes against perpetrators of Mumbai attacks.

Dr. Singh, who was here to attend the Nuclear Security Summit that concluded today, had two brief interactions with Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani on the sidelines of the meet.

He was, however, evasive when asked whether he would meet Gilani in Bhutan during the SAARC Summit later this month.

To a question, Dr. Singh said “ultimately India has to tackle problem it faces own its own.”

To a question about Mr. Obama telling him that tensions between India and Pakistan should be reduced, Singh said “I believe the issues in South Asia can be resolved and should be resolved by meaningful bilateral dialogue. I do not think there is any need for a outside force to come in play.”

On whether he would meet Mr. Gilani on the sidelines of SAARC, Dr. Singh said, “I think there is still time to think about the meeting in Bhutan. When we reach there we would cross the bridge.”

The Hindu : News / National : Could talk to Pak if action taken against 26/11 perpetrators: Manmohan

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said India could resume dialogue with Pakistan on all issues if “concrete” and “effective” action is taken against those behind the Mumbai terror strikes but made it clear that there was no need for the US or any other country to get involved in the Indo-Pak affairs.

It wasnt long ago when Singh himself was pushing for SA involvement.Double standards shown here.:disagree:

look i believe we should look beyond this indian drama! we should NOT want talks reason being they are indian drama to fool us! whenever we talk about talks they say no kashmir,no sir creek now let's talk about terrorism!!!

so what do they wanna talk about? sania & shoaib?

BBC News - India says talks with Pakistan 'conditional'

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has ruled out talks with Pakistan until it takes "credible steps" to bring the Mumbai attackers to justice.

India blames Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba for the November 2008 attacks which left 174 people dead, including nine gunmen.

On Monday, India and Pakistan's PMs met at a nuclear security summit in the US.

Pakistani PM Yousuf Raza Gilani spoke to Mr Singh at a reception hosted by US President Barack Obama.

A Pakistani embassy spokesman said it was "not a formal meeting".

Prime Minister Singh said he had briefly met Mr Gilani twice in Washington, but that the two leaders had only exchanged pleasantries and that "there was no serious discussion".

"We would like Pakistan to at least bring all of these perpetrators of these horrible crimes to book and do so effectively," news agency Reuters quoted Mr Singh telling reporters.

"That's the minimum that we expect from Pakistan. If Pakistan does that, we will be very happy to begin talking once again about all of these issues," he added.

On Monday, Mr Gilani had said that Pakistan had taken action against Lashkar-e-Taiba, but India needed to provide more evidence.

Mr Singh said he did not see "any need to provide any additional evidence to Prime Minister Gilani on this".

The meeting between the two prime ministers came a day after Mr Singh told President Obama that Pakistan's government lacked the will to punish those responsible for the Mumbai attacks.

Late last year, Pakistan charged seven people in connection with the attacks.

They include the suspected mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, who is allegedly the leader of the Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.

India put peace talks on hold after the attacks, suggesting what it calls "state elements" in Pakistan were involved. Pakistan and Lashkar-e-Taiba have denied any involvement.

In February, Pakistan and India held their first formal talks since the 2008 attacks and agreed to "remain in touch".

look i believe we should look beyond this indian drama! we should NOT want talks reason being they are indian drama to fool us! whenever we talk about talks they say no kashmir,no sir creek now let's talk about terrorism!!!

so what do they wanna talk about? sania & shoaib?

India is rite in its stand.....

the most important thing that effect Indian citizens is terrorism. that effected stability in many of our states ............thousands of died, economics suffered. etc.

India can live with kashmir going on like this but not with terrorism .

and terroism is not a small thing................now pakistan is suffering from it..........as India did in past........you should know how it is like to stay under guns.

Manmohan singh should talk as an equal we damn care who he is
he might be boss in india not here so should learn to use words accordingly

hahaha no point talking peace with india no need for amaan ki ashaa it is an indian gimmick to keep us occupied with useless nonsense while it tries to prove the world that pakistan is "evil" or is TSP according to BS!

what he like he should say to his wife or in his east any banana state we don't care. i think he lose his mind thats why he try to act like this with pakistan. what the hell we got to talk witth him???????????/ lol nothing but more propegenda from there news.

To tell the truth, I am thinking Pakistan is just annoying India by stalling the trial of the perpetrators. For those who don't know, they are already caught. The trial just isn't ending.

To tell the truth, I am thinking Pakistan is just annoying India by stalling the trial of the perpetrators. For those who don't know, they are already caught. The trial just isn't ending.

The trial isnt ending n the water at the dams isnt rising

Baat karana hai tu karo Warna hamri bala say. We don't care we are not dying to talk to you anyways.

I am sick of this kind of news.. Every alternate a Pakistan Politician makes a statement about India needs to change its position towards India and pat comes reply of India.. We will talk only if you do more on terrorism..

Every other week an Indian politician wakes up and asks Pakistan to curb LeT and pat comes the reply-- Give us more proof..

The politicians on both sides should stfu and get on with their jobs..

aur kuch hota nahin hai.. Yahan pe dus thread aur khul jate hai ;)

The trial isnt ending n the water at the dams isnt rising

the more water means more wastage by pakistan as your foreign minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi admits Pakistan waste its 35% of total water. That goes directly to the sea unitized.

news.outlookindia.com | Water Not Stolen in India But Wasted in Pakistan: Qureshi

Pakistani foreign minister lets 'water' secret out?- TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

'India didn't block water even during war' - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom