What's new

Conned: Aakash 2 made in China?

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
Is India’s tech-showpiece Aakash 2, the world's cheapest tablet, made in China? Documents reviewed by HT show DataWind founders and NRI brothers Suneet and Raja Singh Tuli may have procured these devices off-the-shelf from manufacturers in China for $42 ( Rs. 2,263 then), exactly the price

at which they sold these to the Indian government.

DataWind bought more than 10,000 or more "A 13" made-in-China tablets from at least four manufacturers in Shenzhen and Hong Kong between October 26 and November 7.

These were shipped to India duty-free as they were meant for school students under an HRD ministry programme.

Last year, Canada-based DataWind won a bid to supply 100,000 low-cost computing devices to students. Aakash 2, which is meant to be India-made, is part of that agreement.

DataWind had no role either in the design or manufacturing of Aakash 2 tablets, a source said.

“I just landed in New York. I will respond upon clearing immigration and customs,” Suneet Tuli texted HT in response to a questionnaire emailed to him. He had not got back till the time of going to press. HRD minister Pallam Raju was travelling and couldn’t be contacted.

Documents with HT show that DataWind bought the tablets from at least four manufacturers, Dasen International Electronics, Shenzhen Shitong Zhaoli Technology, Kalong Technology and Trend Grace Ltd.

DataWind's manufacturing partner in Hyderabad --- VMC Systems---had not built any device over the last couple of months, said a source. Its manufacturing partners and facilities in Delhi and Amritsar, respectively, too, had not produced even a single tablet over the last couple of months, the source said.

41112602.jpg

“Instead of manufacturing these low-cost tablets themselves… DataWind has simply purchased these 'off-the-shelf' from China and supplied it to the Indian government,” the source told HT, requesting not to be identified.

It now appears that Datawind handed over the China-made tablets to Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay for testing. IIT-B's role is limited to testing and installing apps.

These, it emerges, were subsequently unveiled as Aakash 2 on November 11. IIT-B did not respond to an emailed questionnaire.

Conned: Aakash 2 made in China? - Hindustan Times

:woot:

Interesting article from the Hindustan Times.

Why should it matter to us though? They paid us for it ($42 per unit), then they resold it to the Indian government for the same amount of money they bought it for ($42 per unit).

We got our money, the Indian Government got their tablets. The middleman (Datawind) is the only real loser in this situation.

Why should it matter to us though? They paid us for it ($42 per unit), then they resold it to the Indian government for the same amount of money they bought it for ($42 per unit).

We got our money, the Indian Government got their tablets. The middleman (Datawind) is the only real loser in this situation.

It may be just like an advertisement. They can sell other items or sell this thing at a higher price to proud Indians.

I remember it was told even during Akash I launch that the next version with better specs will be sourced from china. I dont see anything wrong, because they are building it as an education platform, and should source hardware from the cheapest source.

The software(educational) including indian language support will be Indian.
For the unintitiated, its an effort by Govt of India to provide some kind of computing device to poor (and students). They did not invent tablet computing!!!

Is India’s tech-showpiece Aakash 2, the world's cheapest tablet, made in China? Documents reviewed by HT show DataWind founders and NRI brothers Suneet and Raja Singh Tuli may have procured these devices off-the-shelf from manufacturers in China for $42 ( Rs. 2,263 then), exactly the price

at which they sold these to the Indian government.

DataWind bought more than 10,000 or more "A 13" made-in-China tablets from at least four manufacturers in Shenzhen and Hong Kong between October 26 and November 7.

These were shipped to India duty-free as they were meant for school students under an HRD ministry programme.

Last year, Canada-based DataWind won a bid to supply 100,000 low-cost computing devices to students. Aakash 2, which is meant to be India-made, is part of that agreement.

DataWind had no role either in the design or manufacturing of Aakash 2 tablets, a source said.

“I just landed in New York. I will respond upon clearing immigration and customs,” Suneet Tuli texted HT in response to a questionnaire emailed to him. He had not got back till the time of going to press. HRD minister Pallam Raju was travelling and couldn’t be contacted.

Documents with HT show that DataWind bought the tablets from at least four manufacturers, Dasen International Electronics, Shenzhen Shitong Zhaoli Technology, Kalong Technology and Trend Grace Ltd.

DataWind's manufacturing partner in Hyderabad --- VMC Systems---had not built any device over the last couple of months, said a source. Its manufacturing partners and facilities in Delhi and Amritsar, respectively, too, had not produced even a single tablet over the last couple of months, the source said.

41112602.jpg

“Instead of manufacturing these low-cost tablets themselves… DataWind has simply purchased these 'off-the-shelf' from China and supplied it to the Indian government,” the source told HT, requesting not to be identified.

It now appears that Datawind handed over the China-made tablets to Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay for testing. IIT-B's role is limited to testing and installing apps.

These, it emerges, were subsequently unveiled as Aakash 2 on November 11. IIT-B did not respond to an emailed questionnaire.

Conned: Aakash 2 made in China? - Hindustan Times

:woot:

I mean what is wrong with it??? 90% of product is this world is being manufactured in China? Does that mean that each product is product of China?? Of course...if it is cheaper to get any tablet from China...I think we should go for it...Ultimately we should be worried about end product and its cost rather than where it is being made of..

I remember it was told even during Akash I launch that the next version with better specs will be sourced from china. I dont see anything wrong, because they are building it as an education platform, and should source hardware from the cheapest source.

The software(educational) including indian language support will be Indian.

The problem is, according to your contract with Datawind, the tablets were supposed to be "Indian-made".

So maybe you can take action against them.

No! it shouldn't matter to you,but to indian public for blatantlylying that these were made in india.

This trend has been in practice in India since long. To satisfy their false egos, they rely on false propaganda, be it made in China tablet, world's super power india, devil ISI, or what not.

:drag:

stupid thread. this is business. lowest bidder with some decent capabilities like its RAM and its SOFTWARES will be the obvious winner. we are also capable of producing it but cost is high when compared to china.and in aakash case its a open tender.chinese are getting proud with this means ok no problem enjoy. but i cant understand why pak peoples always going behind china. try to stand on your own.

stupid thread. this is business. lowest bidder with some decent capabilities like its RAM and its SOFTWARES will be the obvious winner. we are also capable of producing it but cost is high when compared to china.and in aakash case its a open tender.chinese are getting proud with this means ok no problem enjoy. but i cant understand why pak peoples always going behind china. try to stand on your own.

winner can give sub contract to anyone if there is no restrictions.

Wait didn't some Indians get some international science prices lately for their "achievement" of providing these devices trough government subsidising to school?

Shouldn't it be retracted then? While the efforts are still there, it certainly wouldn't be a scientific feat or contribution to the scientific field. Everyone can import Chinese products. Everyone can resell something at lower price. Up till now its just government propaganda turning into a face saving game after promises of the Indian SUPPA tablet ran into hard reality.

Or am I mixing something up here?

Wait didn't some Indians get some international science prices lately for their "achievement" of providing these devices trough government subsidising to school?

Shouldn't it be retracted then? While the efforts are still there, it certainly wouldn't be a scientific feat or contribution to the scientific field. Everyone can import Chinese products. Everyone can resell something at lower price. Up till now its just government propaganda turning into a face saving game after promises of the Indian SUPPA tablet ran into hard reality.

Or am I mixing something up here?

Indians are well known to resort to cheating to win prizes. This is just another case.

Back
Top Bottom