Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
f22_021716getty.jpg

Getty
By Kristina Wong - 04/19/16 07:50 PM EDT

Congress is looking into restarting production of the F-22 fighter jet, according to a defense bill proposal released Tuesday.

The House Tactical Air and Land Forces Subcommittee released its portion of the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act, which included a provision to look into restarting production of the stealthy fifth-generation fighter jet.

Production of the F-22 ended in 2009, at 187 aircraft — far less than the planned buy of 749, and an Air Combat Command requirement of 381 aircraft.
However, the subcommittee offers language that says exploring the idea of restarting production is worthy "in light of growing threats to U.S. air superiority as a result of adversaries closing the technology gap and increasing demand from allies and partners for high-performance, multi-role aircraft to meet evolving and worsening global security threats."

In addition, there is interest within the Air Force and the Pentagon in potentially restarting production of the F-22, it said.

The provision directs the Air Force secretary to conduct an assessment of the costs of resuming production and to provide Congress with a report no later than Jan. 1, 2017.

The subcommittee bill would also require the Government Accountability Office to review sustainment strategies for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program and provide a report to Congress by April 1.

The bill also supports the National Commission on the Future of the Army's recommendations to allow the National Guard to keep four Apache attack helicopter battalions, versus the Army's plan to transfer all of the helicopters to the active side in exchange for unarmed Blackhawk utility helicopters.

It also would provide additional funding for UH-60 Blackhawks, LUH-72 Lakotas and AH-64E Apaches, F-35 Joint Strike Fighters , F/A-18s, critical munitions; address modernization shortfalls in National Guard and Reserve component equipment; and support the realignment in the European Reassurance Initiative for modernized and upgraded version of the Abrams tanks and Bradley Fighting Vehicles.

The subpanel is headed by Chairman Mike Turner (R-Ohio) and Ranking Member Loretta Sanchez (D-Calif.).

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/2...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Production of the F-22 ended in 2009, at 187 aircraft — far less than the planned buy of 749, and an Air Combat Command requirement of 381 aircraft.
However, the subcommittee offers language that says exploring the idea of restarting production is worthy "in light of growing threats to U.S. air superiority as a result of adversaries closing the technology gap and increasing demand from allies and partners for high-performance, multi-role aircraft to meet evolving and worsening global security threats."
Tells how unsatisfied Pentagon is with F-35 program so far, even to extent that they are reconsidering reopening a program which was dubbed by some as carrying obsolete tech. Hence my stance of upgrading F-22s rather than going for a new platform seems getting validated.

if we can make 200 super F-22B for $150 to $200 million each we should do that

the U.S armed forces want to use the F-22 as sort of quartback for F-35 to direct them to threats or w/e, 1 F-22B controlling 4 F-35 would be interesting.

Excellent news :tup: Production line was shut down way to early imho. I'm all for restarting and making many more with upgrades. Do it Congress!!!

I'm all for bringing the Might, the most feared F-22 back into production however, the reason why the production shut down, still exists.
3 F-22's will cost us more than a billion dollars , each plane cost is $350 million dollars. Maintenance cost is huge, each flight hour cost is close to $70,000 according to time magazine.

They need to tackle these issues, then even kill the unreasonable F35.

Tells how unsatisfied Pentagon is with F-35 program so far, even to extent that they are reconsidering reopening a program which was dubbed by some as carrying obsolete tech. Hence my stance of upgrading F-22s rather than going for a new platform seems getting validated.
You nailed it some times there are things between lines . F35 was destined to replace legendary fighters like F16/F18/F15 but some how it lacked in many areas .F22 in production will not be a great sight any more as already Chinese J20 is designed on basis of taking down F22

You nailed it some times there are things between lines . F35 was destined to replace legendary fighters like F16/F18/F15 but some how it lacked in many areas .F22 in production will not be a great sight any more as already Chinese J20 is designed on basis of taking down F22
Yeah...Am sure you are speaking from extensive personal experience in military aviation. :rolleyes:

Yeah...Am sure you are speaking from extensive personal experience in military aviation. :rolleyes:
May be i do have ,May be I have few family members who have upclose picture with Raptor it self ,May be I have a brother who works in serious Chip based company ,May be my immediate Uncle used to fly in F86/F16 .So there are quite a lot may be but i guess I do lack personal experience other than sitting in Mirage Cockpit once a while any ways i still lacked personal experience for Raptor :)

The J-20 is neither designed not projected as a response to F-22. Rather, it is meant to complement the same role for PLAAF, i.e. to sneak in, attack and get out before getting spotted. Air Superiority of F-22 dominated skies also requires a comprehensive, integrated and battle hardened radar network that can detect the F-22 in addition it requires ammunition that can home into the F-22 and bring it down despite all the EW suites and Jamming pods on the F-22 and allied battle groups.

Not so easy to bring down the F-22, really. Unless, you sneak in and take out the base where F-22's are stationed without being detected.

First finish the F 35 and until then upgrade the F 15.
F 22 can be upgraded using F 35 based technologies later.
Or nothing will happen.

IF -- and this is a huge IF -- this goes thru, people can discard whatever notions about the technical difficulties we will have in restarting the production line. Simply put, we can do it and since there is a necessity, we WILL do it. Both the F-22 and F-35 were designed to be more modular than previous generations of combat aircrafts. Lockheed made video preservation of the production processes all the way down to the human level, as in production line workers recorded how they do things.

My take is that the next generation F-22 will be the equivalent of the leap from the analog F-16 to the all digital version, meaning the current performance specs will remain RELATIVELY the same, but its sensor and weapons integration package will be like going from bladed weapons to firearms. The current passive low radar observability technique is passive but it will be good odds that this next generation F-22 will incorporate some active techniques. No comparison with SPECTRA as SPECTRA is not as effective against first tier radar systems to start.

Long wavelengths ? Meh...As if long wavelengths were any credible tactical threats outside of fancy sales brochures.

So if there is going to be a next generation of F-22s, whatever the Russians and the Chinese can come up with, they can kiss their dreams of having credible challenges to US airpower: :wave: .

f22_021716getty.jpg

Getty
By Kristina Wong - 04/19/16 07:50 PM EDT

Congress is looking into restarting production of the F-22 fighter jet, according to a defense bill proposal released Tuesday.

I was going to post it, you beat me to it :enjoy::tup:. We need 200 more -22's and this is a great step forward. -22 in numbers to create a global Hi tier, -35 to create Medium / Lo tier. Perfect air-dominance package :usflag:

:rofl: :angel: :angel: :rofl: I only read one line of your post and stopped. If only idiots on the street can guess Pentagon's policies and strategies, why would there be a Pentagon?? A few generals can sit in a Starbucks and create future war strategy eh?? :angel:. On topics that you have no clue about, I'd refrain from commenting as you make yourself look bad. Just saying...

IF -- and this is a huge IF -- this goes thru, people can discard whatever notions about the technical difficulties we will have in restarting the production line. Simply put, we can do it and since there is a necessity, we WILL do it. Both the F-22 and F-35 were designed to be more modular than previous generations of combat aircrafts. Lockheed made video preservation of the production processes all the way down to the human level, as in production line workers recorded how they do things.

My take is that the next generation F-22 will be the equivalent of the leap from the analog F-16 to the all digital version, meaning the current performance specs will remain RELATIVELY the same, but its sensor and weapons integration package will be like going from bladed weapons to firearms. The current passive low radar observability technique is passive but it will be good odds that this next generation F-22 will incorporate some active techniques. No comparison with SPECTRA as SPECTRA is not as effective against first tier radar systems to start.

Long wavelengths ? Meh...As if long wavelengths were any credible tactical threats outside of fancy sales brochures.

So if there is going to be a next generation of F-22s, whatever the Russians and the Chinese can come up with, they can kiss their dreams of having credible challenges to US airpower: :wave: .

Rain will destroy F-22. No Need for chinese and russians to comeup with anything ;)

Back
Top Bottom