What's new

Commonwealth Games 2010-Delhi,News and Update.

New Recruit

Reaction score
CWG-LOGO001.jpg

So finally,the games have arrived!
1 day to go!
Please post all news and updates related to CWG here!

And the tally of medals and perfomances as the Games start tomorrow!

Lets hope for the best!
21-india-flag-21.jpg

Prince Charles arrives in India to declare CWG open

NEW DELHI: and the Duchess of Cornwall arrived here today to attend the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games.

Prince Charles and India's President will declare open the Games at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium.

"Suresh Kalmadi, Chairman of the Organising Committee, received the royal couple here," a press release from the organisers said.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had asked the Prince to represent her at the opening of after deciding to give a miss to the ceremony.

"The Prince will spend time with athletes from a broad cross-section of Commonwealth countries," the release added.

Gala Commonwealth Games opening at 7 p.m.
2010-10-02 16:40:00

New Delhi, Oct 2 (IANS) The much-awaited gala inaugural of the Commonwealth Games will take place here Sunday at 7 p.m., with all roads leading to the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.

The two-hour ceremony will start with President Pratibha Patil and Britain's Prince Charles officially declaring the Oct 3-14 Games open before an expected packed crowd of 65,000 -- and millions glued to televisions all over the world.

This is the first time the Games are being opened by two dignitaries as part of a compromise pact between the hosts and the Commonwealth Games Federation.

In another first for the Games, the athletes will march in with their respective countries' contingents and take their seats alongside guests.

The guest will include New Zealand Governor General Sir Anand Satyanand, Monaco's Prince Albert II and Presidents Mohamed Nasheed of the Maldives and Marcus Stephen of Nauru.

Also present will be International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge and Commonwealth Games Federation's Mike Fennel.

Around 7,000 men, women and children will take part in the opening ceremony which is divided into six segments: Rhythm of India, Swagatam, Tree of Knowledge, Yoga, Great Indian Journey and Oscar winner composer A.R. Rahman's rendition of the CWG anthem 'Jiyo Utho Badho Jeeto'.

Want cricket-like rivalry with India in CWG: Moneghetti
New Delhi, Oct 2, (PTI):

Cricketing contest between India and Australia is considered to be the greatest rivalry after Ashes and the Aussie chef-de-mission wants to enjoy that kind of cut-throat competition at the Commonwealth Games here.

Steve Moneghetti, who is at the Games Village with the Australian contingent, said it would be interesting to watch Indians taking on Australians in various CWG disciplines such as hockey and shooting in the October 3-14 mega-event.

"India and Australia cricket teams are always charged up. I hope other sports (CWG disciplines) also witness the same rivalry. "We are very strong in swimming, shooting, hockey, netball, weightlifting and gymnastics. Last time, Indian shooters reigned supreme at Melbourne and this time we, the Australians, for sure (will dominate)," Moneghetti said on the sidelines of his country's flag hoisting ceremony at Games Village today.

Asked whether Commonwealth Games will take the limelight away from the ongoing India-Australia series, he said, "May be, but with CWG being such a big event we are here to share the limelight." The chef-de-mission hoped that the Australian contingent would be able to win over 200 medals in the Games.

"Last time at the Melbourne Games, we won 221 medals but this time I hope for over 200. Our first priority would be to finish on top. We always believe in competition and win comes itself. We are looking for some good results in athletics. We will give our 100 per cent," he said. He also warned other teams to get prepared to witness some "cruel" on-field attitude from the Australians.

"We will give you tough competition. Very cruel. Be prepared for our cruel attitude mixed with Delhi's hot weather," Moneghetti added. Meanwhile, cultural dance by the school students kept the Australian team enthralled during their flag hoisting ceremony at the Village.

The Australian contingent enjoyed the performance of a group of Doon Public School students, who skillfully played musical instruments in an open amphitheatre. Shera, the mascot of the Games, was also seen sitting amongst the Aussie contingent.

Mayor of the Games Village, Dalbir Singh said, "We have created a home away from home here. I am sure you will have a pleasant and comfortable stay." "It's fantastic to be here. Hopefully, our athletes will also appreciate Indian culture and tradition. We witness lot of vibrant colours and cultures today," said Perry Crosswhite, Secretary General of the Australian Commonwealth Games Association.

Monehetti also praised the facilities in the national capital. "It's nice arrangements here. We are enjoying our stay and the hoisting ceremony was great." Earlier today, Pakistan's flag was hoisted in another colourful ceremony.

CWG will boost 'Aman Ki Asha': Pak's chef-de-mission

NEW DELHI: "This is a great opportunity to promote 'Aman ki Aasha'" is the message that the Pakistan contingent will be spreading during the Commonwealth Games.

Chef-de-mission Dr Mohammad Ali Shah, who is also the sports minister of Pakistan's Sind province, told TOI from Karachi that he is a great believer in the campaign and the Games has offered a fantastic opportunity to build a bridge of peace between the people of the two great countries. "The Games has given us a fantastic opportunity to foster harmony between the two countries. We'll eat together, sit together, chat together and may even go to watch movies," said Dr Shah, obviously very excited.

"I'm really looking forward to reaching Delhi with the second batch of our contingent on October 2 (Saturday). But I have received a very positive feedback from our first batch. The facilities at the Village are fantastic. I have told the athletes to enjoy the atmosphere and also to carry the Pakistan flag with a lot of pride."

When pointed out that the Ayodhya verdict that may cause tension and trouble in the country, Dr Shah said they were keeping a close watch on the situation. "But that has no bearing on the Games. Your government has taken enough measures and is capable of handling the situation. Our athletes are not really worried about the security situation."

Dr Shah also summarily dismissed the stories of corruption and negativity which erupted in the lead-up to the Games. "This is a huge effort on the part of the Government of India, believe me. All the criticism basically makes mountains out of molehills. The stories of stains and snakes are trifles. Show me one Games where things have gone on smoothly during preparations?"

The sports minister has made it clear to the contingent that they must ensure discipline. "Anyone who falls out of line will be sent back immediately. This is a very strict message that I have given to them."

Star hockey forward Rehan Butt made it clear that they are going to improve on their performance. "We are going to give it our best shot. Our aim is to do well in the Guangzhou Asian Games as well."

Asked how he reacted to reports emanating from India, the Pakistan forward said: "Efforts of the host city should be supported instead of being criticized. What I see around me is quite beautiful.

india-pak-flag.jpg

i personally dont want india to getting this succesfully done than they will get madecine of their own treatment anyway im pro indian but with indian attitude to pakistan i have to make this comment i was a big fan for this to india get succed but not anymore

i personally dont want india to getting this succesfully done than they will get madecine of their own treatment anyway im pro indian but with indian attitude to pakistan i have to make this comment i was a big fan for this to india get succed but not anymore

^^^ What the heck is this? Who asked you for your personal opinion. Does it matter for games success?

Hey Super Falcon. Let the governments fight with each other. We should look beyond the petty talks of jingoistic Indians and the politics of Governments to see what is best for everyone.:cheers:

Peace

Should make sticky till game finishes. Because need to have medal chart too and other event related news.

Shooters bag 12th gold for India at Commonwealth Games

NEW DELHI: India's Gurpreet Singh and Vijay Kumar bagged 12th gold for India when they won in the 25 metre pistol pairs of the Commonwealth Games on Thursday.

Earlier, India started the day with a bronze medal when the women's team of of Bhagyabati Chanu, Jhano Handah and Gagandeep Kaur compound archery team beat Malaysia.

Later in the day, Indian athletes will vie for a lot of medals at the Delhi Games where women's wrestling makes its debut with events in 48 kg, 55 kg, 63 kg and 72 kg freestyle and Greco-Roman styles.

After having scooped up a bagful of medals, including several golds, the Indian shooters are all set to boost the country's medals kitty further.

Competitions continue in tennis, table tennis, squash and badminton where a lot of Indian interest remains.

Indian is looking up to star boxers Akhil Kumar (56kg), Suranjoy Singh (52kg) and Manoj Kumar (64kg), for further medals, along with Amandeep Singh (46-49kg).

The weightlifting arena, also among the most fruitful ones for the country, will see Sudhir Kumar (77kg) flexing his muscles.

Shooters bag 12th gold for India at Commonwealth Games - The Times of India

Just now saw it on TV, Sushil Kumar Fixes his spot In Semi Finals Wrestling Beating Pakistan By 7-0, 3-0

Pakistani Wrestler hussain Beat Indian Anil Kumar in the quarterfinals of 55 Kg Mens Freestyle wrestling

Back
Top Bottom