Reaction score
Country
China
'Comfort Women' Denial and the Japanese Right

The Asia-Pacific Journal, Vol. 13, Issue. 30, No. 3, July 27, 2015
Yoshikata Veki
Translated by Julie Higashi; introduction by Norma Field and Tomomi Yamaguchi

Introduction

It is a remarkable thing to behold, the extent to which the issue of “comfort women” galvanizes the Japanese right more than two decades after the first Korean survivor appeared in public. The hopeful moments of the Kono Statement (1993) and the Murayama Statement (1995) seem to belong to a remote past. Circumscribed though they were, those official statements by the then chief cabinet secretary (Kono Yohei) and prime minister (Murayama Tomiichi) squarely acknowledged the grievous consequences of imperial Japan’s acts of aggression not only on the Japanese people but their Asian neighbors, and most pertinently with respect to “comfort women,” the involvement of the Japanese military.

That the “comfort woman” system has been documented1as entailing the Japanese military, meaning that it can in no way be written off as an enterprise of private brokers, is one of the several interlocking points that exercise rightist revisionists. Another is the use of the term kyosei renko, or “forced mobilization”: the women, often young enough to warrant characterization as “girls,” were recruited, transported, and made to serve against their will. The lure of promised employment in the dire circumstances produced by colonial rule—trickery, in other words—was part of the coercive character of this system. Acknowledging systematic coercion, in turn, is to acknowledge that the system was indeed one of “military sexual slavery,” underscoring the cynical deception of the “comfort woman” euphemism. (The term continues to be meaningful as historical referent, and specifically, as verbal coalescence of willful, flagrant deception.)

Denying the historical veracity and consequent interpretive validity of these points has inspired revisionists to place the blame on the shoulders of Korean and Japanese activists, along with the latters’ avatar, the Asahi Shimbun. Were it not for the deceptions perpetrated by unpatriotic lawyers, scholars, and deluded citizens, aided and abetted by the Asahi, they reason, Koreans themselves would not have made such an issue of the misery experienced by poor women in the context of a decades-old war. Under the Abe regime, foreign ministry officials have been mobilized to pressure international mediaWomen’s Active Museum site. The texture of “comfort woman” experience is conveyed in the recollections of survivors from seven countries and one Japanese soldier in New York-based Korean artist Chang-jin Lee’s video and public art project,Comfort Women Wanted. NF & TY

The Asahi Shimbun’s Fabrication Theory” Was a Fabrication

In August 2015, Prime Minister Abe is expected to deliver a statement on the 70th anniversary of the end of War II, and his plan is to do so without referring to the coercive nature of the “comfort-woman” system of the Japanese military. The view that the Asahi Shimbun report opened the floodgates to making the “comfort women” an issue is prevalent. An analysis of reports published in Korean newspapers, however, overturns this view, demonstrating that the claim that the Asahi fabricated the story is itself a fabrication, a complete fiction.

By Yoshikata Veki

Translated by Julie Higashi

The far-fetched argument that “the ‘comfort woman’ issue is a fabrication by the Asahi Shimbun” has gained popularity and is widely accepted. Isn’t this because the premise that “Before the Asahi Shimbun and Japanese lawyers began making a big fuss, there was hardly any discussion of ‘comfort women’ in South Korea” (Watanabe Shoichi, Professor Emeritus of Sophia University, WiLL 2007 August Special Issue) was accepted without anybody checking its validity?

With this question in mind, I spent my days gathering materials at libraries and resource rooms in South Korea to investigate how the issue of “comfort women” was actually perceived. The discoveries exceeded my expectations, and I became completely absorbed in an excavation-like process of research. Let me introduce part of my findings.

The perception of “forcible mobilization” already existed in Korea by the 1960s

As I looked through the back numbers of Korean newspapers, not much could be found between the Korean War and the 1950s and early 1960s, when Park Chung-hee seized power through a military coup d’état. After this period, however, Korean articles challenging the views currently popular in Japan began to appear. First, I found an article written by the well-known intellectual Song Kon-ho in the August 14, 1963 Kyunghyang Shinmununder the title, “An evil born on the eve of Korea’s liberation from imperial Japan.” In this article, the author selects the word, “teishintai,” as “a word for remembering on August 15.” Let me excerpt and translate the relevant passage:

Photo 1: Article (blocked off in red) written by well-known intellectual Song Kon-ho in the August 14, 1963 issue of the Kyunghyang Shinmun), under the title, “An evil born on the eve of Korea’s liberation from imperial Japan.” The image illustrates the forced mobilization of “comfort women.” Image provided by Yoshikata Veki.

Teishintai—also referred to as “delivering up the virgins.” Women of marriageable age were mobilized and sent to the battlefront and made into “comfort women.” They were all sacrifices for the imperial Japanese soldiers. . . . Nobody knows how many young women were transported to the war front or what happened to them.

The caption to the illustration accompanying the article reads as follows: “The imperial Japanese army even delivered virgins.” The illustration depicts a soldier-like man carrying a big bag, suggestive of wartime delivery, who forces a helpless schoolgirl to accompany him. Her family is shown crying in the background, and the picture amply suggests the use of physical force. This article alone, published 19 years before the first reports of Yoshida Seiji’s testimony

Photo 2: March 23, 1964 article with photo in Dong-a Ilbo by special correspondent Okamura Akihiko of Pan Asia Newspaper Alliance (PANA, now Jiji News). The article describes Okamura’s experience of listening to a story told by the captain of a fishing vessel about Korean women being made into “military prostitutes” under Japan’s colonial rule.

An article entitled, “Japan, Respond to Us,” dated February 17, 1965, and submitted by the president of the Bereaved Family Association for Those Who Died for Their Country (Sun-guk-seon-nyeol) to theKyunghyang Shinmun also includes the following: “In the name of the teishintai, unmarried women were kidnapped and forced to become comfort women.” All these descriptions appeared earlier than Park Kyong-Sik’s pioneering publication, Chosenjin Kyosei-renko no Kiroku (Miraisha, 1965), or “Records of the Forced Mobilization of Koreans.” The argument that “the Japanese had planted the idea of the ‘comfort-woman’ issue in the minds of Koreans” no longer holds.

Photo 3: The front page of Kyunghyang Shinmun on February 17, 1965, with articles related to Japanese Foreign Minister Shiina’s visit at the height of Japan-Korea negotiations. The marked article, entitled “Japan, Respond to Us,” is by the president of the Bereaved Family Association for Those Who Died for Their Country (Sun-guk-seon-nyeol.) The sixth point in the article refers to the abduction of unmarried women to be turned into “comfort women” as a representative atrocity committed by imperial Japan.

Related reports found even before the 1990s

Among the six nationwide newspapers published from before the 1980s, four provide accessible databases. I searched these databases for articles related to “comfort women” published from the time of Korea’s liberation up to the early 1990s. I summarize my data collection methodology below.

First, because the term “comfort women” was also frequently used to describe sex workers for the United States military stationed in South Korea, it was necessary to look into the content of each article and eliminate those that were unrelated to the former Japanese military. I also searched for articles that included the term “teishintai.” As is well known, in Korea, the two terms, “teishintai” and “comfort women,” used to be confused, resulting in many accounts in which it is difficult to distinguish which function was being emphasized. I therefore eliminated those cases where the term could clearly be determined as referring to nonsexual, wartime labor service, which was the original meaning of the term “teishintai.” In tallying up the total number of relevant articles, I decided that an article in which both terms, “comfort women” and “teishintai” appeared, would count as one. The fluctuation in the number of articles using the terms inevitably correlates with the increase in the number of publications, and although differences existed among the newspapers, I focused on the number of articles, including also the total number of articles for the four newspapers.

As my table shows, I found 23 articles on the “comfort woman” issue between 1946 and the 1960s. In the 1970s and 80s, however, the number shoots up to about 300. Given the number of articles on this issue appearing before the 90s, it may be that we have entertained a mistaken impression that everything started in the 90s, a time of rapid progress in diplomatic relations between Korea and Japan. Furthermore, when we look at the numbers for every five years, the trend becomes even clearer. Even with slight ups and downs, the number of times Korean newspapers take up the ‘comfort-woman’ issue steadily rises between the 1960s and 80s.

The content of the articles also changed. The articles written on milestone occasions in the 1960s refer to “comfort women” as “a tragedy the Korean people should never forget,” but after the 1970s, the focus shifts to the existence of former “comfort women.” Representative of this trend is the emergence of a former “comfort woman,” No Su-bok, who was “discovered” in Thailand in 1984 and was finally able to visit her homeland. Joongang Ilbo published a series of eleven articles about her life. Through such focus on the concrete image of an actual “comfort woman,” the issue, which had existed only in the recollections of a handful, began to attract attention as an actually existing problem.

Photo 4: Article in Joongang Ilbo, dated June 23, 1983. The sixth article in a series featuring a former “comfort woman,” No Su-bok, who was living in Thailand in the post-war period. Her visit to her homeland after forty years received major coverage in the newspaper.

In the meantime, the perception of the coercive nature of the practice went unchallenged in the 70s and 80s. The biographical article on No Su-bok, for example, explains the process as one whereby Japanese policemen “hunted humans like they would hunt rabbits,” capturing the women and taking them away by force.

As for Yoshida Seiji, who is an obsession among the conservatives: apart from the 1980 translation of a book that nobody seemed to notice, the first time he appears in Korean newspapers is as a witness in a detailed report on the 1982 Sakhalin Koreans lawsuit. Subsequently, through the mediation of the Mindan Fujinkai [South Korea Women’s Association in Japan] that Yoshida had approached, he is introduced in numerous papers on June 23, 1983 as “a Japanese wishing to build a monument in Korea as an expression of apology.” In other words, the facts show that it was not the Asahi Shimbun that introduced Yoshida’s activities.

The absurdity and dangers of an internationally isolated argument

We have now verified the collapse of the argument that the “comfort woman” issue— its “coercive” and “controversial” nature—was not an issue in Korea before the Asahi and Japanese lawyers made it into one. Over the years, in the course of which the subject became a diplomatic issue, we have indeed witnessed the accumulation of information and spread of attention in Korea through Korea’s interaction with Japan. Distorting the issue and arguing that Korean perception originated from a particular “false report” in Japan, however, is the explosive expression of a dark desire in the hearts of conservatives to trivialize the matter.

As long as the argument that “the problem originated with the Asahi” is without foundation, spreading it will only widen the gap between Korea and Japan, which in turn will widen the gap between Japan and international society. Revisionists have been actively promoting their views overseas, requesting corrections in history textbooks in the United States. What we need to do now, however, is to face head-on the fabricated “story” conservatives have obsessed over for more than twenty years.

Abe’s unconvincing attempt to whitewash Japan’s history
BY HUGH CORTAZZI

LONDON – The more I study the statement issued in the name of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his Cabinet on Aug. 14, the more it disappoints me. The statement marking the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II glosses over unpalatable facts and attempts to interpret them in a favorable way for Japan.

Most Japanese today cannot be held responsible for the crimes committed by their leaders before they were born any more than we can be held responsible for the iniquities of the slave trade or other crimes committed by our ancestors. The Russians today are not responsible for Stalin’s crimes. Nor are today’s Chinese culpable for the massacres and misery caused by that monster Mao Zedong. But we all need to know the basic facts if only to try to ensure that we do not repeat the errors. Cruelty and greed are characteristics sadly found everywhere.

Since the Meiji Restoration, Japanese achievements in industry and commerce have been paralleled in art and culture, but in the first half of the 20th century Japan was led by misguided leaders to “become a challenger to the international order,” to use the euphemism of the Abe statement. Unfortunately the first part of the statement is so full of such euphemisms and vague phraseology that it reads to anyone who knows the facts as a totally unconvincing attempt to whitewash recent Japanese history and suggests that Japan was forced to go to war by the attitude and actions of the rest of the world.

The Russo-Japanese war of 1904-1905 had nothing to do with anti-colonialism, but was the precursor of the annexation of Korea and set Japanese sights on Manchuria. Japan took advantage of World War I to make the infamous 21 demands on China and to promote its economic interests in China.

The whole world suffered in the Great Depression. Japan’s situation was no worse than in Britain or the United States, but in Abe’s statement it was made an excuse for the demise of Taisho democracy.

The rising power of the Japanese military was boosted by the cult of the Emperor and the mythology of State Shinto. Japan’s military leaders succeeded in misusing Japanese patriotism to promote their power.

The Manchurian incident was manufactured by the military, as was Japanese aggression in China. It was Japan’s withdrawal from the League of Nations that forced its failure.

Even though there can never be a final count of the numbers killed in the Nanjing massacre it surely should have been mentioned. It should also have been acknowledged that Japan began in China the horrors of aerial bombardment of unprotected civilian targets and open cities.

No mention was made of the tripartite pact with Germany and Italy that bound Japan to the evil forces of Nazism and Fascism. While Japan did not participate in the Holocaust and some Japanese did their best to help persecuted Jewish people, Japan backed Nazi Germany’s attempts to dominate and oppress Europe and defeat the Allies, which had joined together to defeat what can only be described as the forces of evil.

Was it out of a sense of shame for Japanese treachery that no mention was made in Abe’s statement of the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor before a declaration of war was made? There was also no admission that the Japanese Co-Prosperity Sphere was a disguise for Japanese aims to bring Asia under Japanese domination.

Why was nothing said about the criminal behavior of Japanese leaders in 1945 in refusing to admit that Japan was doomed to be defeated? They should have been condemned not merely for their blindness to facts but also for their cowardice in refusing to admit that they had failed. They must share responsibility for the cruel sufferings inflicted on Japanese cities in those terrible months 70 years ago before the Emperor admitted the truth.

The absence of a historically accurate narrative detracts from the value of some very welcome phrases in the statement. While there was no new apology, the words in the Murayama statement still stand. The phrases about the role and sacrifices of Asian women were welcome, although the welcome would be warmer if the Kono statement about the “comfort women” had been repeated.

I am glad that the statement finally acknowledges the suffering of allied prisoners of war at the hands of the Japanese military. So often Japanese governments have seemed to do all they could not to admit responsibility for fear that admission might cost money.

I welcome the commitments in the final paragraphs to an open economic system, to the maintenance of peace and the settlement of disputes by peaceful means. I attach great importance to the upholding of human rights and the rule of law.

If Abe and his government want to win the trust of Japan’s friends and allies they will need to show through their actions that these are not just pious cliches but real and firm commitments.

Rent wife for Rs 8,000 a month in Gujarat - The Times of India

How much is your wife for rent? Her price must be higher than Rs 8000.

Tell me you didn't do this, this is all propaganda. :partay:

Ignore him if he doesn't know history and think it to be a propaganda better leave him in denial.

Anyways haven't Japan has already given an apology to all those countries which suffered by the hands of imperial Japan?
I know the drama resurfaced after Abe after this
Abe’s Apology: For Americans, Not for Asians | The Diplomat

But Japanese has given a apology in the past haven't they?

But Japanese has given a apology in the past haven't they?
You really don't know Japanese attitude.
Things always happen like this:
Situation 1:One Japanese politician apologized someday and another one politician standed out to say something like "Apology is unnecessary because the massacre have never existed" sometime later.
Situation 2.One Japanese politician apologized vaguely,for example,"we feel so remoseful for the past war",he replaced the "aggression" with "past war",and no one know what the hell he feel remoseful for in the past war?For the Japanese failure?
Situation 3.One Japanese politician says something like "We feel sorry for the past war.But the war is gone,and today the young Japanese don't need to apologize for their ancestors ".And he supported the misrepresenting to the true history in education system.
Situation4.......
So clever Japs.

Chinese women are not comfy anyway. Why would they use Chinese women? It is made up news to look Japan look bad. China's trackrecord is much worse than Japan anyway.
Different with Japanese women that could not wait to become a comfort woman, Chinese know what is shame.

You really don't know Japanese attitude.
Things always happen like this:
Situation 1:One Japanese politician apologized someday and another one politician standed out to say something like "Apology is unnecessary because the massacre have never existed" sometime later.
Situation 2.One Japanese politician apologized vaguely,for example,"we feel so remoseful for the past war",he replaced the "aggression" with "past war",and no one know what the hell he feel remoseful for in the past war?For the Japanese failure?
Situation 3.One Japanese politician says something like "We feel sorry for the past war.But the war is gone,and today the young Japanese don't need to apologize for their ancestors ".And he supported the misrepresenting to the true history in education system.
Situation4.......
So clever Japs.
It is not our affair. Even Japanese like to eat shit, can you stop them. It is not worthy to anger, Japanese are just making huge potential troubles for themselves unconsciously. On the contrary I am happy to see that, what they did is just showing the incompetence in changing their fate of country. 天朝子民何须为此等边陲岛民动气.

U.S. Senate Urges Kerry to Act on 'Comfort Women'
August 21, 2015
The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - U.S. Senate Urges Kerry to Act on 'Comfort Women'

The U.S. Senate on Thursday passed a spending bill with an attachment urging the State Department to do more to make Japan address its forced mobilization of women as sex slaves for soldiers during World War II.

The House of Representatives had already passed the bill for 2014 on Wednesday.

The attachment notes House Resolution 121 of 2007 and "urges the secretary of state to encourage the government of Japan to address the issues raised in the resolution."

2014012001349_0.jpg

This captured image from cable channel YTN shows Japanese lawmakers protesting to pull down a statue honoring victims of sexual slavery in a park in Glendale, Los Angeles, California on Friday.

The attachment is non-binding but has symbolic significance in pressuring Japan to apologize for the atrocities committed against the women, who mostly came from Korea.

President Barack Obama signed the bill into effect on Friday.

Representative Steve Israel, who spearheaded the attachment along with Representative Mike Honda, a third-generation Japanese American, in a statement urged Japan to "acknowledge and apologize" for the atrocities.

The 2007 resolution calls on the Japanese government to admit and officially apologize for the atrocity.

kor_red.gif
Read this article in Korean
englishnews@chosun.com / Jan. 20, 2014 11:52 KST
Related Articles

Japanese Soldiers Fried, Ate Human Flesh of Chinese Civilian: Archive
2015-08-20

c6ba960ae82347afa9392197da8bcbe6.jpg

A screenshot from the official website of the State Archives Administration showing a summary of the confession made by Japanese WWII criminal Kunihiro Nakao. [Photo: Crienglish.com]

Japanese soldiers fried the flesh of a Chinese civilian and ate it during WWII, according to a war criminal who confessed to scores of murders and rapes in a document published by the State Archives Administration (SAA) on Thursday.

In the 10th of a series of 31 confessions from Japanese war criminals published on the SAA website in commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII, Kunihiro Nakao detailed his brutality in China between 1940 and his capture in August 1945.

Nakao, who was born in Yamaguchi Prefecture in Japan in 1921, "cruelly killed two anti-Japanese captives, both male, aged between 20 to 22" on 10 April 1940 in Huanggang County, Hubei Province, according to his confession written in 1954.

He said one was "beheaded with a sword" by an army cook and the other was "bayoneted at the same time" by several soldiers and "fell into a pit."

Nakao then "shoveled soil into the pit to bury the man who was still alive, beat him with a round shovel and trampled him to death."

From October to November 1940, in Jingmen County, Hubei Province, he "used Chinese people as targets for shooting exercises and shot dead three Chinese" with the companions.

"I ... fired 15 rounds with a light machine gun and a rifle at five or six Chinese, and shot a Chinese person with the light machine gun," he wrote.

According to Nakao's confession, in June 1942 in Jiangling County, Hubei Province, his companion "captured a 30-year-old Chinese man, bayoneted him to death, cut off about 1.5 kg of flesh from his thigh, wrapped the flesh in cloth and brought it to me."

"After the flesh was fried with pork, chicken, fish and vegetables, all members of the squad of 40 soldiers and I ate the dish," Nakao wrote.

In July 1942 in Hubei's Dangyang County, his subordinates captured two Chinese female passers-by and raped them. "Fukuoka went so far as to insert a pear into their vaginas, causing great pain to them," he said.

Nakao also confessed to tying two captured Chinese to a tree in June 1944 in Jingmen County and ordered new recruits to "bayonet one in the chest 50 times, making him look like a honeycomb."

"The other was beheaded and I ordered Sergeant Yamane to dissect his chest with a sword," he wrote.

He confessed to raping Chinese and Korean women, who were captured, enslaved and tortured by Japanese imperialists. Nakao raped 25 Chinese women 30 times and 12 Korean women 14 times from June 1941 to May 1945.

From December 1944 to early May 1945 in Jingmen, he had a sentry rape four Chinese women, according to the confession.

The SAA is publishing a confession a day in the run-up to commemorations of the end of the war on Sept. 3. The handwritten documents come complete with translations and abstracts in both Chinese and English.

The confessions detail crimes including murder, enslavement and poisoning Chinese people, as well as the use of biological and chemical weapons on live human subjects.

Japanese Soldiers Fried, Ate Human Flesh of Chinese Civilian: Archive
2015-08-20

c6ba960ae82347afa9392197da8bcbe6.jpg

A screenshot from the official website of the State Archives Administration showing a summary of the confession made by Japanese WWII criminal Kunihiro Nakao. [Photo: Crienglish.com]

Japanese soldiers fried the flesh of a Chinese civilian and ate it during WWII, according to a war criminal who confessed to scores of murders and rapes in a document published by the State Archives Administration (SAA) on Thursday.

In the 10th of a series of 31 confessions from Japanese war criminals published on the SAA website in commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII, Kunihiro Nakao detailed his brutality in China between 1940 and his capture in August 1945.

Nakao, who was born in Yamaguchi Prefecture in Japan in 1921, "cruelly killed two anti-Japanese captives, both male, aged between 20 to 22" on 10 April 1940 in Huanggang County, Hubei Province, according to his confession written in 1954.

He said one was "beheaded with a sword" by an army cook and the other was "bayoneted at the same time" by several soldiers and "fell into a pit."

Nakao then "shoveled soil into the pit to bury the man who was still alive, beat him with a round shovel and trampled him to death."

From October to November 1940, in Jingmen County, Hubei Province, he "used Chinese people as targets for shooting exercises and shot dead three Chinese" with the companions.

"I ... fired 15 rounds with a light machine gun and a rifle at five or six Chinese, and shot a Chinese person with the light machine gun," he wrote.

According to Nakao's confession, in June 1942 in Jiangling County, Hubei Province, his companion "captured a 30-year-old Chinese man, bayoneted him to death, cut off about 1.5 kg of flesh from his thigh, wrapped the flesh in cloth and brought it to me."

"After the flesh was fried with pork, chicken, fish and vegetables, all members of the squad of 40 soldiers and I ate the dish," Nakao wrote.

In July 1942 in Hubei's Dangyang County, his subordinates captured two Chinese female passers-by and raped them. "Fukuoka went so far as to insert a pear into their vaginas, causing great pain to them," he said.

Nakao also confessed to tying two captured Chinese to a tree in June 1944 in Jingmen County and ordered new recruits to "bayonet one in the chest 50 times, making him look like a honeycomb."

"The other was beheaded and I ordered Sergeant Yamane to dissect his chest with a sword," he wrote.

He confessed to raping Chinese and Korean women, who were captured, enslaved and tortured by Japanese imperialists. Nakao raped 25 Chinese women 30 times and 12 Korean women 14 times from June 1941 to May 1945.

From December 1944 to early May 1945 in Jingmen, he had a sentry rape four Chinese women, according to the confession.

The SAA is publishing a confession a day in the run-up to commemorations of the end of the war on Sept. 3. The handwritten documents come complete with translations and abstracts in both Chinese and English.

The confessions detail crimes including murder, enslavement and poisoning Chinese people, as well as the use of biological and chemical weapons on live human subjects.

Yuck! These Japanese are really barbaric, totally uncivilized and behaved like savages. They reminded me of ISIS.

But I do hope that most modern day Japanese are not like that anymore.

Last edited:
That person's country is practically in a civil war.

Better leave him alone.

The guy is probably also Dutch, he tried to insult me once with ''kk poepchinees'' meaning ''cancer (kk being Dutch SMS slang for cancer) shit Chinese'', thinking he would circumvent the mods this way if he blatantly used racial curses in Dutch:omghaha:

China demands Japan face history after Abe's wife visits Yasukuni Shrine

China again demanded Japan squarely face its aggressive past and reflect upon it after Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's wife visited the controversial Yasukuni Shrine.

Akie Abe wrote on her Facebook page on Tuesday that she visited the war shrine in Tokyo earlier in the day, which honors 14 Class-A convicted war criminals among 2.5 million Japanese war dead of WWII.

Back
Top Bottom