What's new

Chinese Trainer JL-9, L-15, JL-10, CJ-7 News & Discussions

Yeah because of limited range of its radar
Does the ability to fire SD-10 make L-15B a good fighter?
@seven0seven

Also, L-15B can carry SD-10 maybe.

mmexport1571673589815-png.585458

main-559.jpg

DtIukU5WwAAentT.jpg

Last edited:
Does the ability to fire SD-10 make L-15B a good fighter?
@seven0seven

Also, L-15B can carry SD-10 maybe.

mmexport1571673589815-png.585458

main-559.jpg

DtIukU5WwAAentT.jpg
Very unlikely a SD-10 AAM due to limited range of L-15B radar , more like an LD-10 Anti-radiation missile.

LD10.jpg

The LD-10 air-to-surface anti-radiation missile is a variant of the SD-10A missile meant for Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (SEAD), similar to Raytheon's High-speed Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM). The LD-10 retains the overall aerodynamic layout of the SD-10A, but has the active radar seeker of the SD-10A replaced with a new passive radar-homing seeker.

The LD-10 has been designed such as to be retrofitted faster and with minimal modifications to launch platforms, which have been cleared for use with the SD-10A missile. These include the J-8, J-10, J-11 and the JF-17. The missile was marketed with a maximum range of 80 km with a 20 kg warhead.

Very unlikely a SD-10 AAM due to limited range of L-15B radar , more like an LD-10 Anti-radiation missile.

View attachment 595225
The LD-10 air-to-surface anti-radiation missile is a variant of the SD-10A missile meant for Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (SEAD), similar to Raytheon's High-speed Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM). The LD-10 retains the overall aerodynamic layout of the SD-10A, but has the active radar seeker of the SD-10A replaced with a new passive radar-homing seeker.

The LD-10 has been designed such as to be retrofitted faster and with minimal modifications to launch platforms, which have been cleared for use with the SD-10A missile. These include the J-8, J-10, J-11 and the JF-17. The missile was marketed with a maximum range of 80 km with a 20 kg warhead.
I see, are you sure that is the LD-10? Various sources say it is in fact the SD-10.

http://military.china.com/important/11132797/20170620/30779354_3.html

Also, L-15B radar is apparently 110km so it has enough range to fire PL-12/SD-10.

I see, are you sure that is the LD-10? Various sources say it is in fact the SD-10.

http://military.china.com/important/11132797/20170620/30779354_3.html
Technically, yes, L-15B can carry SD-10 since both LD-10 and SD-10 use the same pylon. But the small radar on L-15B will not explore the full potential of SD-10 AAM as the missile can only be effectively locked onto target within the limited range of L-15B's radar. Though if the end users wants SD-10 AAM, there is no reason not to sell to them.

However, looking at the photo that you posted, other than the WVR AAM, all other payloads are intended for Ground Strike/SEAD mission, thus the chances of that particular missile is LD-10 is far greater.

In short, both SD-10 and LD-10 can be carried by L-15B, but it is a real waste of potential of SD-10 and the money if L-15B is used as the launch platform.

Technically, yes, L-15B can carry SD-10 since both LD-10 and SD-10 use the same pylon. But the small radar on L-15B will not explore the full potential of SD-10 AAM as the missile can only be effectively locked onto target within the limited range of L-15B's radar. If the end users wants SD-10 AAM, there is no reason not to sell to them.

However, looking at the photo that you posted, other than the WVR AAM, all other payloads are intended for SEAD mission, thus the chances of that particular missile is LD-10 is far greater.

In short, both SD-10 and LD-10 can be carried by L-15B, but it is a real waste of potential of SD-10 and the money if L-15B is used as the launch platform.
110 km range of radar is short? Lets be honest, most SD-10s won't be launched at that range so radar could be even less range. This is the first mention of LD-10 so I have to take it with a grain of salt if you understand what I am saying.

The L-15B also has a lengthened nose to accommodate a Passive Electronically Scanned Array radar with a reported detection range of -seven or seventy miles (sources differ)

L-15B operating with a jamming pod, and SD-10 could be a fairly good fighter but as you said this may be LD-10.

DtIukU5WwAAentT.jpg

Last edited:
110 km range of radar is short? Lets be honest, most SD-10s won't be launched at that range so radar could be even less range. This is the first mention of LD-10 so I have to take it with a grain of salt if you understand what I am saying.

The L-15B also has a lengthened nose to accommodate a Passive Electronically Scanned Array radar with a reported detection range of -seven or seventy miles (sources differ)

L-15B operating with a jamming pod, and SD-10 could be a fairly good fighter but as you said this may be LD-10.

DtIukU5WwAAentT.jpg
Bro getting lock of max range of radar is difficult things then you assume BVR are not fire at max range but main consideration for good kill is NEZ/F-POLE

Bro getting lock of max range of radar is difficult things then you assume BVR are not fire at max range but main consideration for good kill is NEZ/F-POLE
Yes, I know that is why 110 km radar range isn't needed, you can probably use 80-90 km range radar and fire at 50-60 to have good chances of killing target.

Yes, I know that is why 110 km radar range isn't needed, you can probably use 80-90 km range radar and fire at 50-60 to have good chances of killing target.
THIS WORKS ONLY THAT OPPONENT JET HAS A SIMILAR CAPABILITIES LIKE L-15 HAVE, EVEN FOR LIGHT FIGHTER JET LIKE JF17 OR GRIPPEN CAN EASILY DESTROY L-15B IN A BVR FIGHT

THIS WORKS ONLY THAT OPPONENT JET HAS A SIMILAR CAPABILITIES LIKE L-15 HAVE, EVEN FOR LIGHT FIGHTER JET LIKE JF17 OR GRIPPEN CAN EASILY DESTROY L-15B IN A BVR FIGHT
Well, yes that is true but you are assuming it will be a fair 1v1 fight. There are many variables that go into A2A combat like AWACS, and detectability of L-15B.

Back
Top Bottom