What's new

Chinese Supercomputer Wrests Title From U.S.

This achievement by the Chinese speaks volume about their resolve. Absence of access to advanced technology, they chose and manged to do more with less.

Absence of access to advanced technology

Crock.
WE CREATED THE CURRENT BLEEDING EDGE TECHNOLOGY.

Calm down buddy. There is a ban on transfer of advance technology to China. In this instance they improved the interconnects of the available technology.

Yes China is many cases creating their own technology , there is no doubt about that.

the regime that once promised that mumbai would catch up with shanghai in 5 years?

1 trillion usd? where are they going to get the money?

printing more money?

:rofl::rofl:

That's the Economics u understand see the article below to find where is the source

India needs to double its infrastructure spending to $1 trillion in the five years to 2016-17 to achieve 10% annual growth rates and this would require new funding sources, the prime minister said on Tuesday.

The country needs to upgrade its creaky and inadequate infrastructure to support growth that is expected to accelerate to 9% by 2011-12, and has said a bulk of this new investment would be from private firms.

“We must aim at accelerating the pace of growth to about 10% per annum. This is the growth target we must work toward in the 12th five-year plan (2011/12-2016-17),” Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told an infrastructure conference.

“It is not something that would happen automatically. We would need continuous improvements in our policy regime and our implementation process.”

India plans to spend $514 billion in the five years to 2011-12, and finance minister Pranab Mukherjee said this goal was proceeding as per schedule.

Mukherjee said the capacity of banks to fund infrastructure projects was stretched and new sources had to be tapped, including allowing private firms to issue infrastructure bonds.

“We have still not completely succeeded in exploiting the full potential of insurance and pension funds for deployment in the infrastructure projects,” Mukherjee said.

“The availability of equity, both domestic and FDI (foreign direct investment) continue to remain an area of concern.”

link:India needs $1 trillion infrastructure spending over 5 yrs: PM - Economy and Politics - livemint.com

That's the Economics u understand see the article below to find where is the source

India needs to double its infrastructure spending to $1 trillion in the five years to 2016-17 to achieve 10% annual growth rates and this would require new funding sources, the prime minister said on Tuesday.

The country needs to upgrade its creaky and inadequate infrastructure to support growth that is expected to accelerate to 9% by 2011-12, and has said a bulk of this new investment would be from private firms.

“We must aim at accelerating the pace of growth to about 10% per annum. This is the growth target we must work toward in the 12th five-year plan (2011/12-2016-17),” Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told an infrastructure conference.

“It is not something that would happen automatically. We would need continuous improvements in our policy regime and our implementation process.”

India plans to spend $514 billion in the five years to 2011-12, and finance minister Pranab Mukherjee said this goal was proceeding as per schedule.

Mukherjee said the capacity of banks to fund infrastructure projects was stretched and new sources had to be tapped, including allowing private firms to issue infrastructure bonds.

“We have still not completely succeeded in exploiting the full potential of insurance and pension funds for deployment in the infrastructure projects,” Mukherjee said.

“The availability of equity, both domestic and FDI (foreign direct investment) continue to remain an area of concern.”

link:India needs $1 trillion infrastructure spending over 5 yrs: PM - Economy and Politics - livemint.com

@ Peaceful

Hi, Peaceful, since it’s about a question related to economics and finance, my speciality actually, I am glad that I, Dr. Speeder 2, would answer it, if you allow me of course.

Usually I don’t answer this type of stuffs as it would be an “overkill” from my part. But since this type of answers ( that “this is how India would finance it” as nokiss quoted) pop up quite often nowadays on all corners, let me disclose more detail on what this kind of propagandistic “solution” really is.

@nokiss,

India needs about $1 trillion infras spending but it doesn’t have enough money, so it asks for “private investments” ( as you cited) which is quite standard, with it its own limits though.

However, the portion of Private Investment that India requires (and advertises as seemingly “guaranteed”) , is far from guaranteed in fact. Instead it ‘s very likely that India won’t make it for the bulk of the plan; for the one who got it funded eventualy in this way it would likely follow the dictation of particular private investors ( that means with far more interests and collateral guarantee, and etc…), not what India would have wanted.

How India does that in the real world? It uses a SPV (Special Purpose Vehicle), usually registered in an offshore paradise such as Cayman or British Virgin Island for tax and legal purposes, hence with limited liabilities. Here is the website of such a SPV:

Welcome To -India Infrastructure Finance CompanyLimited

I won’t waste time looking into the detail of this SPV, but as one can see that its website is packed with legal terms. I am sure before a deal is reached, there would at least 200 to 300 pages legal documents needed to be signed, to make sure that in case of “something unfortunate happens” as it normally does, the investors would be scr**ed thoroughly, or at least being dragged into a prolong legal battle that will eventually soft-kill the case.

OK, there’re tons of dodgy finance techniques here which you won’t easily understand and therefore I wouldn’t go too much into detail but only translate what India does into a simple language:

When China finances its infras, the budget would largely be funded by both the public sector and big banks already, in other words “guaranteed”, while India can not afford to do the same due to its dodgy govt bond rating.

Via a SPV as I listed, India essentially is raising a begging bowl in the world's High Street saying “ I need to eat in the next 5 years, so please give me some money, anyone? “ ( its’s called “invitation of offers”), as anyone including you and I can submit a bid ( of course we would be rejected right away).

But it is not certain the bids could potentially match what India is offering, let alone being any bid at all. It is a big question mark. See here the link where more than half a dozen tenders of India are still open starting from June 2010:

Welcome To -India Infrastructure Finance CompanyLimited

In the same website , it says “during the ten year period 2007-2017 covering the 11th and 12th Five Year Plans would be of the order of USD 1.48 trillion, Private Investment is expected to constitute more than 65 per cent of total investment in telecom, ports and airport sectors during the Eleventh Plan. For the power sector, it would rise to 26 per cent and for the road sector to 36 per cent.”

That means Indian media can make promises, projections and expectations or whatever they want like what they have done in their long list of empty military project promises, in reality however, about 65% of India’s planned telecom, ports and airports, 26% of power sector, and 36% of road sector within that over-ambitious $ 1 trillion plan are un-funded right now, not guranteed at all!

So back to peaceful ’s answer to you, he’s right essentially:

if you don’t have it, and can’t guarantee it at all by borrowing with Private Placement as I just showed, then you only could print it, or just fake it. Wonder why both India’s wholesale inflations and its CPIs have been shooting up the roof in recent years?

Last edited:
1/7
most of the cup and GPU are intel or Nvidia or radeon...
but chinese made chips are catching up

You mean Chinese designed.... Chinese fabrication technologies cannot even produce what the Americans had accomplished in the 1990s.

You mean Chinese designed.... Chinese fabrication technologies cannot even produce what the Americans had accomplished in the 1990s.

At least China has successfully sent manned spaceship several times. Even Japan has never achieved the manned space mission, can i say that Japan can never achieve the accomplishment of China? :victory:

BBC News - China claims supercomputer crown 28 October 2010

_49690750_tianhesupercomputer.jpg

The Tianhe-1A supercomputer is about 50% faster than its closest rival.

China has claimed the top spot on the list of the world's supercomputers.

The machine houses its processors in more than 100 fridge-sized cabinets and together these weigh more than 155 tonnes.

Based in China's National Center for Supercomputing in the city of Tianjin, the computer has already started to do work for the local weather service and the National Offshore Oil Corporation.

Fistly congratz but i do wonder at what point billion dollar computers that require more energy to run than a small town become more for status than economic for research.

After all when you can make a quasi supercompter from 16playstation 3's for $6000, are you getting bang for your buck building a billion dollar 15 room monster?

As is typical, they did it out by running a simulation. But instead of a supercomputer, they used a batch of Sony PlayStation 3 gaming consoles wired together.

The so-called PS3 Gravity Grid, a network of 16 PlayStation 3 consoles grouped together in a cluster capable of running simulations that rival a dedicated supercomputer at a much lower cost.

"You can get a supercomputer's capability with relatively little money," Lior Burko of the University of Alabama, Huntsville, who led the black hole study, said in an interview.

Rather than renting computer time on a supercomputer that could cost $5,000 per simulation, Burko and his colleagues used the PS3 Gravity Grid built by Gaurav Khanna, a physics professor at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth.

The cluster can be built for around $6,000, and allows simulations to be repeated at no extra cost. The system is tailored to simulations that require massive amounts of computations, but relatively little RAM memory.

PlayStation 3 tackles black hole vibrations - Technology & science - Space - Space.com - msnbc.com

Fistly congratz but i do wonder at what point billion dollar computers that require more energy to run than a small town become more for status than economic for research.

After all when you can make a quasi supercompter from 16playstation 3's for $6000, are you getting bang for your buck building a billion dollar 15 room monster?

PlayStation 3 tackles black hole vibrations - Technology & science - Space - Space.com - msnbc.com

yes, it can run more than 1 simulation. numerical fluid dynamics is a major research point and it can be used in everything from aircraft design to astrophysics research. note that the playstation one has low RAM.

Back
Top Bottom