What's new

Chinese shopping app Temu wows US amid TikTok fears

Yeah I mean...the prices on Temu ads are ridiculous. How can something go from 400 euros to 4 euros or 90 to 2? And in a supposedly good to new condition?
In short, they can't.

While I never used Temu, but the issue here is Temu itself is a semi-legit platform, what that meant is they act like Amazon which connect vendor to buyer, which mean when the vendor scam their customer money, they can say "It's not me, it's the vendor" The problem is, apps like this you need a very high degree of control and data security, which is lacking in Temu, while they themselves did not commit any crime (which make it hard to prosecute as a group) the lack of data security itself would be making it an accomplice platform.

On the other hand, Channel 10 (Local Australian channel) talked about temu on one of its current affair program in which they accuse Temu of irresponsible chopping behavior, I cannot attest to whether or not it is true since I have not ever used Temu, but if that is true, then that's more or less some questionable operating platform

In short, they can't.

While I never used Temu, but the issue here is Temu itself is a semi-legit platform, what that meant is they act like Amazon which connect vendor to buyer, which mean when the vendor scam their customer money, they can say "It's not me, it's the vendor" The problem is, apps like this you need a very high degree of control and data security, which is lacking in Temu, while they themselves did not commit any crime (which make it hard to prosecute as a group) the lack of data security itself would be making it an accomplice platform.

On the other hand, Channel 10 (Local Australian channel) talked about temu on one of its current affair program in which they accuse Temu of irresponsible chopping behavior, I cannot attest to whether or not it is true since I have not ever used Temu, but if that is true, then that's more or less some questionable operating platform

Oh man,that sucks. At least on e-bay you can get your money back! People think every app that shows lower prices is a good deal and rush to use it.

Then you are just misinformed. This isn't a "too good to be true" scenario. Temu prices are actually quite inflated to what was already available from China. AliBaba was already supplying the same items as Temu, in bulk, for more than a decade, for a much lower price. Majority of the items on Temu are available on AliBaba and AliExpress at a fraction of the cost, or if you can understand Mandarin, directly from the manufacturer at an even cheaper price. 70% of the products on Amazon and 95% on Temu are sourced from AliBaba. AliBaba is a major mediator between Chinese manufacturing industry and the global retail & consumer industries.

Common man in the West does is just ignorant of this concept. Temu is the glossy, easy-to-use, Western-friendly app that allows consumers access to what was already available but with less hassle. It removes the language barrier and dilutes several manufacturers of the same product into a single supplier.

Anybody who is well-acquainted with import/export of consumer goods will refuse to use Temu, due to it being overpriced, understanding that it's target is the misinformed Westerner, of which there is a huge market.
First of all, I do shop with Alibaba, Taobao, and I am not talking about Overseas platform lke Alibaba US, I am talking about Alibaba and Taobao in China because I have a HK ID card number and a HK Mobile Phone, which allow you to open an account in Tao Bao China. Hell, once upon a time I even have a store in TB selling from my factory in China.

I know about the "Bulk" price in China and the different between that and Temu Price, You are talking about temu selling stuff that are 20% lower than you buy it from Alibaba with 1000+ order.

Now, maybe they really do bought 10,000 smart watch from Alibaba for 114 RMB each and selling it for $20 a piece with free shipping, I don't know, but chances are this is not something most people would be comfortable taking.

Oh man,that sucks. At least on e-bay you can get your money back! People think every app that shows lower prices is a good deal and rush to use it.
The issue here is sale integrity. You had to have channel to report and punish bad seller act with bad faith. That's how e-commerce make business from, trust.

Platform like Ebay, some people will say they wield too much power and have the selling working like they are in a mafia, but that is how people build trust, you know from the slightest hint of a scam, and you are going to get pull, it isn't the case with most Chinese platform.

In the 1980s, the United States sent agents from the Soros Foundation to systematically brainwash famous Chinese professors and indoctrinate them with market economy and free market theories. These famous professors began to advocate neoliberal slogans such as openness and democracy, and demanded that China be transformed according to the American model. the
When the United States discovered that free competition would fail, the United States gave up the free trade it had always advocated, and immediately intervened in the free market with legislation and administrative orders.
It can be seen that all countries that believe in the Washington Consensus have been deeply turbulent and impoverished for decades. American neoliberalism is actually a wealth harvester. Brainwash the intellectual elites of developing countries first. Then use these people to formulate economic policies that are beneficial to the United States and harvest wealth in an all-round way

Yahood ka saajish never stops.

Yahood controls America. They gain from the Neo-liberalism.

Yeah I mean...the prices on Temu ads are ridiculous. How can something go from 400 euros to 4 euros or 90 to 2? And in a supposedly good to new condition?

The ads are fake, well the original prices anyway. It's like how certain stores in the UK always have items at huge discounts (sports direct).

The products are really cheaply manufactured if they're being sold at really cheap prices. You get what you pay for.

I order clothes for the kids from Shein, it's a similar story. The really cheap stuff unsurpisingly is very cheap quality, the pricier stuff is better quality. The thing with kids is they grow out of clothes every 3-6 months and my youngest seems to go through like 2 outfits a day, so it just makes sense. As they operate without a store and the costs associated with that, they can afford to sell cheaper.

Just use your brain, a 5 euro t-shirt is not going to last more than a season, it's fast fashion.

The ads are fake, well the original prices anyway. It's like how certain stores in the UK always have items at huge discounts (sports direct).

The products are really cheaply manufactured if they're being sold at really cheap prices. You get what you pay for.

I order clothes for the kids from Shein, it's a similar story. The really cheap stuff unsurpisingly is very cheap quality, the pricier stuff is better quality. The thing with kids is they grow out of clothes every 3-6 months and my youngest seems to go through like 2 outfits a day, so it just makes sense. As they operate without a store and the costs associated with that, they can afford to sell cheaper.

Just use your brain, a 5 euro t-shirt is not going to last more than a season, it's fast fashion.
When I ordered stuff from Chinese sellers on e-bay,they were ridiculously cheap but they usually arrived like 3 months later. Sometimes the item was different from what was pictured,sometimes the quality was too low,but surprisingly sometimes it was great for a very cheap price. The good thing is,they don't ask you to send it back,they just refund you as long as you give them positive feedback and you get to keep the item :P

The ONLY thing I never buy online is clothing. I need to see and feel the fabric and the style and try it on myself before I buy them.

Maybe buying for kids have a different rules?....I don't know. But if you ask me, taste alone is going to be different when you are looking at a picture and when you are looking at the real thing, that make the risk not worth it even before the probability of getting scammed...

First of all, I do shop with Alibaba, Taobao, and I am not talking about Overseas platform lke Alibaba US, I am talking about Alibaba and Taobao in China because I have a HK ID card number and a HK Mobile Phone, which allow you to open an account in Tao Bao China. Hell, once upon a time I even have a store in TB selling from my factory in China.

I know about the "Bulk" price in China and the different between that and Temu Price, You are talking about temu selling stuff that are 20% lower than you buy it from Alibaba with 1000+ order.

Now, maybe they really do bought 10,000 smart watch from Alibaba for 114 RMB each and selling it for $20 a piece with free shipping, I don't know, but chances are this is not something most people would be comfortable taking.
That's exactly how Amazon FBA works, as well as non-Amazon retailers. But even without bulk buying, you can buy a single unit as a sample. Temu targets a specific market segment who think the prices are unusually cheap, from which some derive the idea that it maybe a scam. The prices aren't cheap; they are just ignorant.

That's exactly how Amazon FBA works, as well as non-Amazon retailers. But even without bulk buying, you can buy a single unit as a sample.
.........you can't buy 1000 sample from vendor....... These people aren't doing retail sales on Temu like they were on Ebay, they are doing vendoring, and you can't possibly have that cut even without middlemen, or even you are the actual wholesaler.....

Again, you are talking about 20% cut of wholesale price (actually more or less vendor price), and free shipping......That's negative margin there. It's like I start taking steel beam from my family factory in China and sell them under the value of what we sold to electric fan or plumbing company and selling them individually and undercut 20% of the wholesale price and I start shipping these beam individually overseas without charging anything............People will ask was I crazy.......

The ONLY thing I never buy online is clothing. I need to see and feel the fabric and the style and try it on myself before I buy them.

Maybe buying for kids have a different rules?....I don't know. But if you ask me, taste alone is going to be different when you are looking at a picture and when you are looking at the real thing, that make the risk not worth it even before the probability of getting scammed...

I used to be like that, but nowadays it's really easy to just return clothes, so i have started shopping online more too.

With kids clothes i tend to use Shein for filler items, or gimmicky items. So my son is really into cars right now, I came across a top with loads of cars printed on it - he loved it. It's going to last 3-6 months max, i paid very little for it, it'll go in the bin as soon as he grows out of it.

Nicer clothes i tend to buy from stores online who's quality i know. In the UK Next is great for kids clothes, they are pricier than other retailers, but you get good quality and they last. My kids have grown out of stuff that's looked just as good a year on as it did when we bought it.

You need to be realistic with your expectations. Something you commonly but for £5 which is being sold somewhere for £10, is unlikely to be twice as better, similarly the reverse is true. If everyone else is charging £10 and someone is charging £5, they're not running a charity, it's probably a cheaper product. Sometimes that's fine.

I used to be like that, but nowadays it's really easy to just return clothes, so i have started shopping online more too.

With kids clothes i tend to use Shein for filler items, or gimmicky items. So my son is really into cars right now, I came across a top with loads of cars printed on it - he loved it. It's going to last 3-6 months max, i paid very little for it, it'll go in the bin as soon as he grows out of it.

Nicer clothes i tend to buy from stores online who's quality i know. In the UK Next is great for kids clothes, they are pricier than other retailers, but you get good quality and they last. My kids have grown out of stuff that's looked just as good a year on as it did when we bought it.

You need to be realistic with your expectations. Something you commonly but for £5 which is being sold somewhere for £10, is unlikely to be twice as better, similarly the reverse is true. If everyone else is charging £10 and someone is charging £5, they're not running a charity, it's probably a cheaper product. Sometimes that's fine.
Well, my thinking is returning stuff itself is a hassle. I mean I still need to get it back to the post office and my post office is 4 km from me here in Australia. Which is in the same mall I get my cloth from anyway, So I just went and buy there.

I am not saying buying online is not a good idea, I am just saying clothing is something I will look at in person before I buy, It's not exactly the same as buying a can of bean or pack of chips from the supermarket. My wife do buy clothes and bag online, but the same way she don't buy fresh produce/fruit from supermarket online, which I don't see any problem with.

Clothes aren't really that expensive in Australia, shop-wise we have shop like cotton on or supre or TK Maxx (Australian version of TJ Maxx that sell cheap clothes along with large department chain like Target or Big W which sell cheap clothes that goes aroudn $20-40 a piece, then you have better choice like rivers and pumpin patch (for kids) that sell them a little more expensive. But then they are similar to online general outlet like Shien or Lightinthebox price.

Well, my thinking is returning stuff itself is a hassle. I mean I still need to get it back to the post office and my post office is 4 km from me here in Australia. Which is in the same mall I get my cloth from anyway, So I just went and buy there.

I am not saying buying online is not a good idea, I am just saying clothing is something I will look at in person before I buy, It's not exactly the same as buying a can of bean or pack of chips from the supermarket. My wife do buy clothes and bag online, but the same way she don't buy fresh produce/fruit from supermarket online, which I don't see any problem with.

Clothes aren't really that expensive in Australia, shop-wise we have shop like cotton on or supre or TK Maxx (Australian version of TJ Maxx that sell cheap clothes along with large department chain like Target or Big W which sell cheap clothes that goes aroudn $20-40 a piece, then you have better choice like rivers and pumpin patch (for kids) that sell them a little more expensive. But then they are similar to online general outlet like Shien or Lightinthebox price.
Every time I see your ID, it's like seeing maggots.

Back
Top Bottom