What's new

Chinese man arrested for trying to export jet fighter carbon fiber to China

Korean

BANNED
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/n...t-sting-leads-to-federal-indictment.html?_r=0

Man Accused in Plot to Buy Jet Material
By MOSI SECRET
Published: September 26, 2012

A Chinese man traveled to the United States looking to buy thousands of pounds of the kind of high-grade carbon fiber that makes fighter jets fly faster and maneuver better, the authorities said. His two accomplices, working from Taiwan, had helped set up the deal, scouring the Internet to find a company willing to sell.
Connect with NYTMetro

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for news and conversation.
But when the Chinese man, Ming Suan Zhang, came to meet his sellers, he instead met a surprise: the Americans he expected to sell him the goods were in fact undercover federal agents, according to court documents.

Mr. Zhang had been caught in an elaborate sting operation.

He was charged Wednesday with attempting to illegally export aerospace-grade carbon fiber from the United States to China. He could face as many as 20 years in prison if convicted.

“I am innocent,” Mr. Zhang, 40, said Wednesday through an interpreter during a court appearance in Federal District Court in Brooklyn at which he pleaded not guilty. He was ordered held without bail.

A lawyer for Mr. Zhang, Daniel Nobel, said his client was a manufacturer of sports equipment. “He’s an honest businessman who was caught in something he didn’t fully understand but he believed to be legal,” he said.

Just like South Koreans were found to steal tech from Uncle Sam.
When?

The only instance I can think of is when some dude was trying to export RD-180 engines from the US to Korea, but that's Russian rocket engine that the US bought for its own use, not a US technology.

Of course he is innocent. He just happens to be carrying airplane grade carbon fibre for his glider. :D

Chinese can make airbuses but can't make carbon fiber, -What if they want to make, lightweight dildos??- Americans are starting to sound bizarre out of paranoia!

Chinese can make airbuses but can't make carbon fiber, -What if they want to make, lightweight dildos??- Americans are starting to sound bizarre out of paranoia!

There is some difference between assembly transfer and total tech transfer.

Structurally reinforced carbon fiber dildos, why haven't i thought of it earlier. Should get it patented ASAP. :D

What if they had it done it in your country? Pakistan as I remember has one the most successful software companies and most profitable that had to do with blackberry. Would you so quick to defend the Chinese if they were caught stealing your businessmen's hard work and intellect property? Would you be so pro china when they would jeopardize your country's men and women's employment roles?

It is one thing to be anti america , it's another to be so blatantly transparent...don't you think so?

some quotes

Zhang apparently told an undercover agent that “he had found an end user for the carbon fiber, and that it was needed for the test flight of a new Chinese fighter jet,” according to the court documents.

Later, he also told the agent that “we need to get a sample to give to the other people” and added, “when I place the order, I place one to two tons. However, the first shipment will be for 100 kilograms.”

" i give much much business yanki "

What if they had it done it in your country? Pakistan as I remember has one the most successful software companies and most profitable that had to do with blackberry. Would you so quick to defend the Chinese if they were caught stealing your businessmen's hard work and intellect property? Would you be so pro china when they would jeopardize your country's men and women's employment roles?

It is one thing to be anti america , it's another to be so blatantly transparent...don't you think so?

You, have a point. Isn't it the history of engineering anyway? -- Germany--> US----Soviets -- industrial espionage,---CIA----KGB ?

You, have a point. Isn't it the history of engineering anyway? -- Germany--> US----Soviets -- industrial espionage,---CIA----KGB ?

Industrial espionage is different. every of those cases was military espionage during war time. China is known to support not only military but worse industrial espionage- all while it is promoted, funded and supported by their govt. The CIA does not steal technologies from Huwiae( whatever they are called) to hand it to its private business entities. China actively as a govt supports hackers that try to disrupt private companies just to disrupt the economy. If that makes sense . look at what did in Canada recently.

Reported your post :tup:..From where the dildo came in ? If some other member had posted it you would have sent him an infraction stating low quality post,Stupid post bla bla.Count an infraction on you now.

you going to report Areonaut, a moderator here for him using the term Dildo? I've been called $shithead, retard and several personal attacks from the Chinese and they never get any infraction . good luck on the word " dildo" ... btw have you conspired taking one out from yourself for being anal retentive about aeronuat using the world Dildo :P

TIL all carbon fiber is the same quality/recipe.

Back
Top Bottom