What's new

Chinese indigenous high-bypass turbofan engines | Aviation Week

Martian2

Reaction score
High-bypass turbofan engines are fuel efficient and used in commercial or transport airplanes. Between 2013-2016, China will start production of four new high-bypass turbofan engines. The WS-16 will begin production this year.

----------

Aviation Week & Space Technology | May-06-13-13 | Express 3 | Zinio Digital Magazines

3HupTOq.jpg

OyEpu8e.jpg

[Note: Thank you to "Gullible" for the newslink.]

China Developing Four High-Bypass Turbofans

China is developing four high-bypass turbofans, only two of which were previously known. All four have potential military and civil applications.

Work at Shenyang on a high-bypass turbofan in the 30,000 lb. class and suitable for large transport aircraft was already known, along with development of the similarly sized CJ-1000 engine for the C919 commercial aircraft.

But it turns out that there are two such engines from the Shenyang design bureau of Avic Engine: the WS-118 and the SF-A. This was revealed in materials prepared for a May 22-23 conference organized by Galleon (Shanghai) Consulting in association with Avic. The Avic connection means the conference materials can be taken as semi-official.

Both engines from the Shenyang Engine and Design Research Institute are based on fighter-engine cores, just as Western aircraft in the 1970s often used combat cores.

The 26,500-lb.-thrust WS-118 is based on the WS-10A Taihang core, which powers the J-10 and J-11B fighters, according to a document prepared for the China Aerospace Propulsion Technology Summit. Avic Engine’s Shenyang Liming Aero-Engine group is scheduled to begin manufacturing it in 2015.

The WS-118 is a candidate for the Y-20 military airlifter and Comac’s C919 airliner, Galleon reports, although it is likely to be underpowered for the Y-20 and too inefficient for the C919. The same design institute is working on a similar but slightly more powerful turbofan, the 28,700-lb.-thrust SF-A, based on the WS-15 core, reputed to be the engine of the J-20 heavy stealth fighter.

The SF-A has been mentioned previously as a prospective C919 engine. Industry executives also report the existence of an SF-B engine, which may be a version of the SF-A.

Meanwhile, a fourth high-bypass Chinese turbofan is in the works, the smaller WS-12C, using the core of the little-known WS-12 combat engine and intended to power the Comac ARJ21 regional jet, whose only publicly revealed engine until now has been the General Electric CF34-10A. With a thrust of 17,600 lb., the WS-12C is under development by the Chengdu Gas Turbine Research Institute.

Originally to be built by Chengdu Engine, it will be transferred to ACAE, the Avic unit developing the CJ-1000, suggesting the engine has a commercial future, even though sales prospects of the much delayed ARJ21, even with a fairly modern Western turbofan, look increasingly doubtfu

High-bypass turbofan engines are fuel efficient and used in commercial or transport airplanes. Between 2013-2016, China will start production of four new high-bypass turbofan engines. The WS-16 will begin production this year.

----------

Aviation Week & Space Technology | May-06-13-13 | Express 3 | Zinio Digital Magazines

3HupTOq.jpg

OyEpu8e.jpg

[Note: Thank you to "Gullible" for the newslink.]

I was expecting the WZ16 to into production this year( Sources pointed to this year) so we could expect to see a heavier powered WZ-10 in 2015. The date of the WS-18 is on schedule, most of the engines go into production through 2014-2016 very good no longer have rely on any more imported turbofans, no more restrictions.
:partay:

Any one has any concrete news on WS-13?

It was first used to power a flying JF-17 prototype in 2010 but no further information since then

Any one has any concrete news on WS-13?

It was first used to power a flying JF-17 prototype in 2010 but no further information since then

Upgraded version is being prepared for the 310 project.

JF-17 will use WS-10 or WS-13??? because on some sites its WS-10.... If China start making good engine the dependency of many countries from west can be changed..... Good Luck......:china::yahoo::pakistan:

JF-17 will use WS-10 or WS-13??? because on some sites its WS-10.... If China start making good engine the dependency of many countries from west can be changed..... Good Luck......:china::yahoo::pakistan:

the ws-10 is too large for the jf-17 and would require extensive modifications, ws-13 however is doable

I was expecting the WZ16 to into production this year( Sources pointed to this year) so we could expect to see a heavier powered WZ-10 in 2015. The date of the WS-18 is on schedule, most of the engines go into production through 2014-2016 very good no longer have rely on any more imported turbofans, no more restrictions.
:partay:

I don't think WZ-6 turbo shaft is for current WZ-10. It high power 1800shp is mainly for heavy lifter copter like Z-8 or newer gen of medium/ heavy helo. Current WZ-10 using 1300shp turboshaft looks adequate. PLA looks very satisfy of this attack helo that they allow it to attain zhuhai air show with flying demo and it was shown on CCTV military news almost every week. More than any other high profile PLA equipment. WZ-16 turbo shaft might be in the pipeline for a heavy 10 tons attck chopper like apache AH-64.

any further info plz thanks in advance

All I know as of now, I will post more when it comes.

I don't think WZ-6 turbo shaft is for current WZ-10. It high power 1800shp is mainly for heavy lifter copter like Z-8 or newer gen of medium/ heavy helo. Current WZ-10 using 1300shp turboshaft looks adequate. PLA looks very satisfy of this attack helo that they allow it to attain zhuhai air show with flying demo and it was shown on CCTV military news almost every week. More than any other high profile PLA equipment. WZ-16 turbo shaft might be in the pipeline for a heavy 10 tons attck chopper like apache AH-64.

I never mentioned the WZ-6, and it probably would not either. WZ-9 is not bound by restriction as the P&W engines were so it is a plus indeed, however there has been some criticism that the WZ-9 are under powered engines for a heavier WZ-10 heli like the Apache not to mention it would not be able to carry up a heavier payload.

All know as of now, I will post more when it comes.

I never mentioned the WZ-6, and it probably would not either. WZ-9 is not bound by restriction as the P&W engines were so it is a plus indeed, however there has been some criticism that the WZ-9 are under powered engines for a heavier WZ-10 heli like the Apache not to mention it would be able to carry up to a heavier payload.

WZ-10 is never in the same class like AH-64 Apache. If you check the spec, WZ-10 helo is in fact a less than 7tons attack helo. Apache is a 10tons helo. WZ-10 is more inline with tiger helo. But nobody ever mention euro tiger is underpowered but starts to question WZ-10 as underpowered with a similar class of turbo shaft as euro tiger?

If WZ-10 helo are to reach the class of apache. It needs a redesign not just upgrade to accommodate the additional 3 tons weight.

WZ-10 is never in the same class like AH-64 Apache. If you check the spec, WZ-10 helo is in fact a less than 7tons attack helo. Apache is a 10tons helo. WZ-10 is more inline with tiger helo. But nobody ever mention euro tiger is underpowered but starts to question WZ-10 as underpowered with a similar class of turbo shaft as euro tiger?

If WZ-10 helo are to reach the class of apache. It needs a redesign not just upgrade to accommodate the additional 3 tons weight.

Please check again my previous post I was editing some grammar mistakes, Well aware of that, many seem to compare the WZ-10 to the Apache and Mi 28 more often then the Eurotiger that is why it is probably considered under powered when comparing it against both. The WZ-10 with WZ-9 would not be able carry a heavier payload and would require better turboshaft(WZ-16) and it would need redesigning as you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom