Shahzaz ud din

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Chinese entity to setup coal-fired power plant in Gwadar
By News Desk -
September 16, 2017

2-ibau-hamburg.jpg

Karachi: National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA) has accepted the application of China Communications Construction Company Limited (CCCC) for setting up a 300 megawatt imported coal-fired power plant in Gwadar reported a local newspaper.

NEPRA will review CCCC’s application for granting of power generation license in Gwadar. If this project gets Nepra’s approval, not only will it assist in Gwadar and its adjoining areas in meeting its current demand, but also would meet future demand as well.

Currently, Gwadar has no interconnectivity with the national grid. It relies on an independent grid setup that connects it with Pasni, Turbat and Panjgur.

Work is being carried out to connect Pasni with the Orrnara Naval Base. Due to erratic power supply availability, Gwadar and its adjoining areas suffer from 12-hour outages on a daily basis and rural one’s around 16 hours.

CCCC imported coal-fired power plant once completed, will supply electricity not only to Gwadar but also to the Makran coastal region which will reduce the power outages in these areas.

CCCC had been issued a Letter of Interest (LOI) by the Pakistan Power and Infrastructure Board (PPIB) for the setting up of a 300 MW imported coal-fired power plant in Gwadar.

Electricity from this project will be sold on a take or pay basis to the Central Power Purchasing Agency (CPPA) under a 30-year power purchase agreement (PPA).

National Transmission and Despatch Company (NTDC) will build the 220kV transmission line for this power project.

This power project will be commissioned at an estimated cost of $492.94m and will be funded in a proportion of debt to equity ratio of 75:25. CCCC will retain majority equity stake of 75.5pc and the remainder of 24.5pc will be held by Tianjin Energy Investment Group Company Limited (TEIGCL).

Coal power plant in 21st century...what a ridiculous and backward idea
Should be cancelled.
Either go with a nuclear or some renewable clean energy alternative.
These badmaaash goons of PMLn have really damaged the CPEC too.

Should be cancelled.
Due to It's high construction and operation cost, and many other reason.
Dude similar power wind and coal power plant, like 1000mw level. wind farm construction cost at least double than coal plant, and It's full-power operation hours only around 1000-1200h/year, compare with coal plant could operating at least 5000h/y. Thus, even in China, with government interest-free loans and high subsidy, unit cost of wind power like over double than coal plant. And photoelectric, we call it "rubbish energy" because it only generate power at non-peak hours. If you don't mind double even triple electric price then go with all renewable clean energy.

I believe nuclear could replace coal plant, but it's in future, when Pakistan have enough experience and skilled person in nuclear area, maybe in 50years. But now coal fired power plant is the best chose as it's low cost, mature technology, and basic technology requirement to satisfy power short now.

Should be cancelled.

I agree with you for the long term projections.. However, to get Gwadar city off the ground you need something quick and cheap... there is no better alternative to coal as a transitional energy source.

I say go for this now and also have a medium term plan to phase it out once it has surpassed it's capital costs with something more efficient and environmental friendly.

I agree with you for the long term projections.. However, to get Gwadar city off the ground you need something quick and cheap... there is no better alternative to coal as a transitional energy source.

I say go for this now and also have a medium term plan to phase it out once it has surpassed it's capital costs with something more efficient and environmental friendly.

Sir, I beg to differ..
Let's suppose, you don't have a car but you have the money to buy one car and your option are some Audi or Tesla S. Will it be easier for you buy Audi today and then after a year or two you just scrap it (not resell) and buy Tesla? or just buy Tesla today even if you have to pay a little more upfront but it will be more future proof. I would rather take a little loan and go with Tesla because I know that I save in terms of CO2 tax and electricity cost (you get 5 yrs free electricity at Tesla changing stations) and it is even more true for the renewable energy sources like water, wind and solar... the cost is upfront but no fuel cost for the entire life cycle of the power plant.

Sir, I beg to differ..
Let's suppose, you don't have a car but you have the money to buy one car and your option are some Audi or Tesla S. Will it be easier for you buy Audi today and then after a year or two you just scrap it (not resell) and buy Tesla? or just buy Tesla today even if you have to pay a little more upfront but it will be more future proof. I would rather take a little loan and go with Tesla because I know that I save in terms of CO2 tax and electricity cost (you get 5 yrs free electricity at Tesla changing stations) and it is even more true for the renewable energy sources like water, wind and solar... the cost is upfront but no fuel cost for the entire life cycle of the power plant.
It's ture if you have money to buy Audi, Tesla might just bit over budget for you.
But on the energy side, it is like you only have budget for motorcycle but you want Tesla.

As my experience, for example a city required 2000MW electric on peak time (I guess Lahore may around this number. 18000MW for Beijing). that means you need at least 2 1320MW coal plant (2 Sahiwal power plant), that cost US$40B for construction include all staff like coal dock and rail (US1.5M/MW), and it could operate 30years. The unit power generation cost is 5.7rs/kwh(9Bkwh/year). [total cost: US40B+18B=58B]

Windfarm for same city, due to low operating efficiency, the city need at least 6000MW wind farm, the construction cost is US2M/MW, that is 120B. And due to operating hours is not controllable, it also need a large power storage station (1000MW level, 1-1.5B/MW), it cost US10B. the unit power generation cost is much cheaper than coal, only 3.4rs/kwh, which US10.7B for 30years. [total cost: US120+10+10.7=140.7B]

If, I mean IF Pakistan government is that rich that could build this power plant with no loan and not recycling costs, windfarm is best chose to give people lowest electric price. But actually gov need foreign loans, which will add cost to unit price. thus windfarm will be much more expensive than coal. Especially it need more initial loan that means more interest.

BTW another important thing is 2 coal plant for city only need few acres, but 6000MW windfarm, even using biggest fan human could build today, 50kw each, it need 120000 unit all around city......guess that please.

I'm not talking photoelectric because as technology today it's not possible to satisfy a city.

Back
Top Bottom