What's new

China's new BP-12 Tactical Ballistic Missile

Akasa

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Accuracy of 30 meters.

It will serve alongside the SY-300 MRL (not to be confused with the SY-400 MRL).

1289868353_63396.jpg

20101116191727741.jpg

112617_728.jpg

According to the introduction poster, SY400 is the guilded rocket while BP-12A is the guilded missile, both share the same launching rack. If I am not mistaken, both weapons are looking alike.

According to the introduction poster, SY400 is the guilded rocket while BP-12A is the guilded missile, both share the same launching rack. If I am not mistaken, both weapons are looking alike.

A guided rocket is basically one type of a guided missile.

I am confusing too, what is the difference between a guilded rocket and a guilded missile? Is it war head or the guildance system that makes the diffference?

NVMD it is actually a long range rocket. Still not a ballistic missile though.

The range is about 400km.

Missiles can be used to refer to any launched projectile. So I guess you can even call a guided artillery round a guided missile.

It looks like it's either a improved, simplified design over SY-400 or just a larger design capable of more variety and larger warheads.

Promary purpose seems to be hitting stationary targets (bases). It does not seem to maneuver in flight. Most likely an (ballistical ?)initial powered flight with a coast phase in middle and a verticle terminal attack profile.

The word 'ballistic' mean a parabolic path from one ground point to another ground point. Even a bullet does have some measure of this 'ballistic' characteristic.

Ballistics - body, water, Earth, air, surface, Projectile motion without air resistance, Other factors affecting projectile motion
Ballistics is the study of projectile motion. A projectile is an object that has been launched, shot, hurled, thrown, or projected by any other means and that then travels on its own along a ballistic path. For instance, a baseball player throwing a ball from center field to the infield usually throws the ball in a slightly upward direction. The ball's path travels along an arc from the outfield to the infield. Mathematically, the arclike path taken by the ball is known as a parabola.

Ballistics has long been a subject of interest to scientists because bullets, cannon shells, arrows, and other weapons travel in ballistic paths. Military leaders have always valued the information that scientists were able to provide them concerning the proper way in which to aim their guns and bows in combat.

Ahem, I will lend my "expertise." Ha ha.

Anyway, I think China names her artillery MRL (i.e. Multiple Rocket Launch) and the U.S. calls it MLRS (i.e. Multiple Launch Rocket System). I'm pretty sure that they're similar weapon systems.

A basic rule of thumb is that if the artillery shell is intended for roughly 42 km then it's firing a non-ballistic guided or "unguided projectile." If the target is 300 km away then the MLRS will have to fire a ballistic missile to reach it.

M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System (M270 MLRS) is a multiple rocket launcher, a type of rocket artillery.
The weapon can fire guided and unguided projectiles up to 42 km (26.1 miles). Firing ballistic missiles, (such as the U.S. Army Tactical Missile System—ATACMS), it can hit targets 300 km (186 miles) away; the warhead in such shots reaches an altitude of about 50 km (164,000 ft). The M270 can be used in shoot-and-scoot tactics, firing its rockets rapidly, then moving away to avoid counter-battery fire."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom